Is sick leave carried over?

As a long time civil servant my immediate interpretation of the op post is questioning whether their sick leave record would remain, even though they are being promoted on an open competition. Which of course it does.
I believe the focus by ps/cs workers on taking advantage of sick leave entitlements is being overstated on this thread. As a staff manager in the cs I have no experience of this attitude.

Clear? Maybe someone could explain it to me then.

The phrase "carry over" make no sense when used with sick leave.
Similarly "start from scratch" makes no sense either. Otherwise it wouldn't be a rolling window.
Can you zero your sick leave counter would be the same thing again.

Maybe it does exist. I've never heard of it, public or private.
The only think I've heard of in the private sector is where higher grades get sick leave and lower ones don't.

The OP made the point that they applied through an external panel, it was not an internal promotion, so therefore would they be treated as a "new" staff member in terms of their sick leave record. I think it is an understandable question and not 100% obvious like might be the case for an internal promotion.

I don't see what difference open, or internal makes. The whole point of being with in the CS is that nothing resets even if you move to different areas within it.

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

If you could carry over or reset your sick leave then whats to stop you constantly doing that.
Go out on sick leave, when its at the limit, move somewhere else in CS and repeat.
The whole point of the rolling limit is to stop it re-setting at the end of the year.

Does anyone think that a rolling limit resetting, and only in open competition, is a useful in any scenario for the employer?

Nobody said a rolling limit was useful or should be implemented, it obviously makes sense that it should carry over. However, the OP was just seeking factual information, not giving out that it carries over. There is no crime in asking a question to double check what the situation is.

Also if you had a bad sick leave record and went for another internal or external CS position, I doubt very much you would get it, so your point is moot.

Back