Case study Is it worth getting a portrait photo taken in .TIFF format?

horizonverizon

I'm applying for an acting/modelling job online and they requested that you submit good quality pictures. Their site offers the ability to upload photos in .JPG, .PNG, or .TIFF formats. They said good photos are usually a minimum of 10MB and uncompressed tiffs are the best. Basically the bigger the resolution of the image, the better chance you have of getting the job.

I've talked to my friend who is a photographer and he says that getting an image taken for .TIFF is over the top even though it would be very clear.

Is my friend right or should I just go ahead and get the photo taken?

.tiff is a lossless image format, so it works well for printing and scaling as each pixel in the original image is accounted for. .jpegs are compressed, and that is achieved by discarding the details of some of the pixels in the original that are close in colour. The compression rate will determine how aggressively that is done, with more aggressive compression resulting in a smaller file size, but an image that will look poor when printed and worse if scaled up to any degree.

Reactions: PMU
I suppose serious questions require serious answers.

It might be helpful to know that TIFF stands for Trolled Interchange File Format.

Photographer here. Just give them the highest res jpg you have...your friend is right.

I've talked to my friend who is a photographer and he says that getting an image taken for .TIFF is over the top even though it would be very clear.
You should go for TIFF (Tag Image File Format) and ideally have the photos taken with a full-frame camera, i.e. one with a sensor the size of a 35mm film negative. The digital camera will take the photo in its native RAW format. This is the equivalent of a 'digital negative' and then the photographer should process it using software such as Lightroom or Capture 1. The processing is to ensure, for example, the photo is correctly exposed, your skin tone is correctly captured, etc. Here's a 'before and after' example capture one portrait styles - Bing . There are loads available on the web, so you can check out some others. The final image should then be exported in TIFF format.

Leo in post #4 above describes exactly what TIFF format is.

Back