Is Boris Finished?

All the Liz's are gone. We'll soon see of Sunak can sooth the sores of divisions satisfactorily.

So the Tories and the UK will end up with a leader who the majority of his party members rejected as leader. That sounds so like Fine Gael and here.

BoJo was kicked out, and for multiple good reasons, a few months ago.

It's truly pathetic and scary that he traded yesterday, admittedly briefly, at odds-on, on BF.

I get seduced into the entertainment value of all this sometimes. But when I stand back and think about it - my faith in the democratic system overall just gets further and further eroded. You simply can't trust the people and you certainly can't trust the politicians. It's not just the UK - Idiots, can and do and will get elected here, in the US there is the Trump, etc., etc.

Anyway, as peemac says, thankfully it looks like, right now, Sunak has the momentum.
Expect the same shenanigans here if sinn fein get into power . The markets will take fright. How will all the FDI we have digest it. The government is already spending as much money as they can beforehand in order to deny Sinn fein a healthy government revenue situation. So we will have the double whammy of an SF government with bad fiscal situation, high interest rates and alot of debt needing to be refinanced at higher interest rates along with the higher interest rate risk premium associated with SF in power

So the Tories and the UK will end up with a leader who the majority of his party members rejected as leader. That sounds so like Fine Gael and here.
It shows that elected representatives are better at selecting a leader than Party members.

Ah Boris is not gone.....They didn't drive a stake through his heart. Unless Sunak has come to some sort of deal with Boris, he will be plotting away in the background....Will be interesting to see what role he has. They will do well to survive to Christmas. The budget could end them.

Was Liz just an example of the Peter Principle, namely that everyone in life ultimately rises to a position of incompetence?

I suppose the Irish system of multi seat constituencies and clientism would have weeded out the likes of liz truss long ago. However the disadvantages of irish system is that it also weeds out alot of very competent people aswell, you have to be an ultra clientilist like the healy raes to get elected here

Boris is toxic for the forseeable future. The tories are probably unelectable at this point anyway, but bringing him back in any meaningful role right now would guarantee it even in 2 years time.

I suppose the Irish system of multi seat constituencies and clientism would have weeded out the likes of liz truss long ago. However the disadvantages of irish system is that it also weeds out alot of very competent people aswell, you have to be an ultra clientilist like the healy raes to get elected here

I would have said Truss and her Chancellor were the ultimate clientists, after all, they gave tax cuts to all their banking and wealthy friends. Their recent budget was aimed squarely at Tory voters in the South, not working class and unemployed in the North of England

I would have said Truss and her Chancellor were the ultimate clientists, after all, they gave tax cuts to all their banking and wealthy friends. Their recent budget was aimed squarely at Tory voters in the South, not working class and unemployed in the North of England
I don't agree it wasn't about clientism it was about ideology, it was hardly populist either so they didn't do it for that reason. Boris being a populist would never have brought such measures in either.
That's what I mean when I say that lizz truss could never get elected in Ireland because the Irish electoral system with multi seat constituencies is highly political and competitive

The UK is run as a colony of London. All the power and wealth is based there. 200 years of imperialism and colonialism leaves deep impressions on the institutions of State. That's why the region around London is getting richer and the rest of the country is getting poorer. Brexit is a manifestation of that and so it Truss and Boris, they are creatures of the Tory establishment. The Conservative Party is the Party of that London based establishment. Labour is the Party of the rest of England (and Wales). Scotland and Northern Ireland are irrelevant.

Labour have succeeded is making themselves unelectable since Blare. The Unions ensured that the wrong Miliband was elected, Ed was useless, David would have made an excellent PM, and then they doubled down by electing a pro-Brexit Marxist who also happened to be a deeply unpleasant bully. Starmer is reasonably centralist and so is electable.

If labour had dumped Corbyn, they would have stood a good chance of winning the last election.

The UK is run as a colony of London. All the power and wealth is based there. 200 years of imperialism and colonialism leaves deep impressions on the institutions of State. That's why the region around London is getting richer and the rest of the country is getting poorer. Brexit is a manifestation of that and so it Truss and Boris, they are creatures of the Tory establishment. The Conservative Party is the Party of that London based establishment. Labour is the Party of the rest of England (and Wales). Scotland and Northern Ireland are irrelevant.

Labour have succeeded is making themselves unelectable since Blare. The Unions ensured that the wrong Miliband was elected, Ed was useless, David would have made an excellent PM, and then they doubled down by electing a pro-Brexit Marxist who also happened to be a deeply unpleasant bully. Starmer is reasonably centralist and so is electable.

And yet, London rejected Brexit and the North and midlands voted for it,

I'm currently reading Alwyn Turner's "Rejoice Rejoice". It's a social and political history of Britain in the 80s. I'd well recommend it for anyone with an interest in current UK politics, we tend to forget, for example, just how unpopular Maggie in her first few years of power

And yet, London rejected Brexit and the North and midlands voted for it,
The people who vote are not the same people who run the government.
I'm currently reading Alwyn Turner's "Rejoice Rejoice". It's a social and political history of Britain in the 80s. I'd well recommend it for anyone with an interest in current UK politics, we tend to forget, for example, just how unpopular Maggie in her first few years of power
I'll but it on the list.

Expect the same shenanigans here if sinn fein get into power . The markets will take fright. How will all the FDI we have digest it. The government is already spending as much money as they can beforehand in order to deny Sinn fein a healthy government revenue situation. So we will have the double whammy of an SF government with bad fiscal situation, high interest rates and alot of debt needing to be refinanced at higher interest rates along with the higher interest rate risk premium associated with SF in power
You had better emigrate !

Most Irish TDs are not very much like the Healy Raes

Back