Ireland's current crop of comedians

I thought HECTOR was quite funny in the Late Late Show the other night. Not sure if he is a comedian or just a T.V. presenter.He was just being himself which helped.He is teaming up with Tommy Tiernan for something.
As has being previously said a lot depends on the medium......whether in a local hall or on T.V.
A good comedian can interact with the audience or at least get the pulse of the audience.Most of the audiences have their own stresses and problems and the comedian has to "disarm " these.....to get the attention of the audience.This might be done by comedians who are zany and maybe half mad..not put on mind you...like spike milligan.Others go for an all guns blazing approach of expletives and blue and over the top outrage. In america they are very formulaic and are strictly on script due to political correctness.... a lot of them are failed actors

There is something so desperate about some Irish comedians that is so off putting. They have this fixed mad grin on thier faces trying so hard to be amusing and failing. I think the reason Tommy Tiernan and Hector fall into this group is that if you have a few drinks you'll laugh at anything but at home, reasonable sober, you realise they are not funny.

For me - Dara O'Brian and Dylan Moran are the only two Irish comedians who have genuine talent.

For me thumbs up for

D O Briain, Tommy Tiernan, Dylan Moran, Colin Murphy Andrew Maxwell

Thumbs down for

Jason Byrne, Jason Byrne & Jason Byrne. Naked Camera, PJ Gallagher
Dermot Whelan

Saw Joe Rooney from Fr Ted fame as a warm-up in Tivoli and he was hilarious

Just watched PJ Gallagher's motorbike show on the RTE Player - great yoke that Player- and thoroughly enjoyed it. Have a minor interest in bikes so I suppose that helps but whether you think he's great or brutal as a comedian I think you have to say that he's a very likeable lad. Well done PJ.

I had the misfortune to watch Hector and Tommy's craic house over the Christmas on RTE. Possibly the worst Tv programme RTE have ever produced. I'm not sure what was worst, Hector's fawning over poor "victimised" Paul Galvin or the fact that they were so short of guests that that they had to invite on 3 former schoolmates to recall the great craic they had in school. I enjoyed my school reunion a couple of years ago but it wasn't so entertaining that I'd expect the nation to watch it on TV. Hector was badly exposed as the one trick pony he really is and whose "act" is starting to wear very thin

I had the misfortune to watch Hector and Tommy's craic house over the Christmas on RTE. Possibly the worst Tv programme RTE have ever produced. I'm not sure what was worst, Hector's fawning over poor "victimised" Paul Galvin or the fact that they were so short of guests that that they had to invite on 3 former schoolmates to recall the great craic they had in school. I enjoyed my school reunion a couple of years ago but it wasn't so entertaining that I'd expect the nation to watch it on TV. Hector was badly exposed as the one trick pony he really is and whose "act" is starting to wear very thin
+1
It was awful alright, hope RTE don't intend it to be a regular thing. Hector is so awful.

Watched Dara O'Briain, Rory McGrath and Griff Rhys Jones on TV last night travelling across Ireland by boat. Hilarious!

Watched Dara O'Briain, Rory McGrath and Griff Rhys Jones on TV last night travelling across Ireland by boat. Hilarious!
C'mon now Bill, we know it's been wet but ~~~~~~~~~. Have you been on the bong pipe again? :D

"C'mere...Theres more" No one has yet mentioned the all time master of Irish comedy
Jimmy Cricket

JimmyC.GIF
Ahh well suit yourselves then !

Yeah, the craic house was desperate stuff.Paul Galvin was interesting enough in his story but Hector justn`t wasn`t funny and TT seemed disinterested.
Brendan Grace or Niall Toibin would have been much better, as solo entertainers I might add.
In a way it showed you can`t so easily ad lib your way to be funny especially with serious guests.Most great solo entertainers have finely honed their craft meticulously and have gained loads of experience and stagecraft and developed the "chemistry and magic" that makes their act a special experience for their audience.Liberace ,Danny la rue , Tommy cooper spring to mind.

Back