Ireland's current crop of comedians

RMCF

There's a few Irish comedians who seem to have taken over the airwaves in recent times, and I was just looking for people's opinions on them.

I am a big fan of Dara O'Briain - very funny man.

However, and here comes the rant, there are a few others out there who I just can't stand.

No1 has to be Ed Bryne - a hugely over-rated guy who I just can't see the appeal of.

Following shortly behind him is Neil Delamere. He seems to be everywhere at the minute and again is just too weak a comedian for me. Have had the misfortune to catch his RTE rip-off of Harry Hills TV Burp or Russell Howards Good News, and his is shickingly unfunny compared to the other two. There is no excitement or life in his show, and it would nearly put you to sleep watching it.

Staying on THE PANEL theme, Colin Murphy also isn't that funny imho, and that git with the pipe (his name escapes me now) is awful. What is it with the pipe anyway. Does he think thats funny?

I like Dara and I like Ed Byrne too! Neil Delamare, agreed, not great. Don't like Colin Murphy either.

I think Jason Byrne is one of the worst - you sure that's not who you are thinking of? Aside from not being funny at all he comes across as utterly wired (but not in a good way) desperate and a bit unhinged IMO.

Someone I didn't expect to like, but do, is Jimeoin. Saw the cover of his DVD - him with a Guinness lip and pulling a 'funny' face and thought "Oh no - A 'zany' oirish comedian" but he turned out to be very funny I thought.

Like Tommy Tiernan sometimes and Dylan Moran most of the time.

Is the pipe guy Andrew whatsisname from Raheny?

Dara - very good
Jason Byrne - very good
Ed Byrne & Tommy Tiernan - didn't they used to be funny once though
Neil Delamere - am equally puzzled - where did he come from - is he going to be the Hal Roche of the future perhaps
Des Bishop - great - very original
Catherine Lynch & yer man from Naked Camera - great but kinda one trick ponies now methinks
Pipe man & Colin Murphy - there is the odd glimmer of funny stuff here and there in between all the fluff (and there is alot of fluff!)

Dara O'Briain is very good, he is intelligent and his comedy shows that.

I have seen both Colin Murphy and Andrew Maxwell live, Maxwell was funnier as he interacted more with the audience and was quick at adapting his act to the audience, Murphy was quite boring really, I laughed a few times but it was all set pieces from him. I think they both suffer on The Panel from the move to RTE1 as it seems more edited, the whole programme has gone a bit rubbish lately - maybe that is just down to David McWilliams and his freaky eyes though!

Can't stand Jason Byrne - agree with Caveat on that one and Neil Delamere I now find unwatchably embarressing.

The one I really really despise is Tommy Tiernan, he just comes across as a nasty, sneering fool. I genuinely cannot understand why anyone would find him amusing - clearly people do though:confused:

Love Jimmy Carr - sounds like an Englishman, but was apparently born in Ireland and has an Irish passport, so I suppose he counts.

Dara is cream of the crop I think, great wit, intelligence, expressive face. I dont find Delamere too bad. Jason Byrne is brutal, that show he had was the worst bleep I've ever seen. Maxwell a bit too messy/slapstick for me

Des Bishop has improved vastly, there was a stage there when I feared he'd never get beyond the immersion story. Good reflections on Irish life, very perceptive.

Lets hear it for Mrs Brown???, ....... no? :confused: Even the occasional ads for that turns my stomach, who buys that stuff.

Anyone seen the Savage Eye??, have missed it so far but like the ads that are on.

Andrew Maxwell - thats him, rubbish !!

Also not mad on Jason Byrne either. Must be a Byrne thing.

Tommy Tiernan has his funny moments.

Can't stand that PJ Gallagher fella either. Same old gags now for years. Get a new act, would you?

I also think the panel has deteriorated since McWilliams took over chair.
However, I think Andrew Maxwell is very funny on it and Mairead Farrell is also good.

Am enjoying the new Ardal O'Hanlon series - Val Falvey.
Would like to see more of Pat Shortt also.

Jimmy Carr is very funny.

probably agree with most of previous posters except that i think Dylan Moran is excellent. The show black books was never aired in Ireland but it was great.

Ed Byrne does not do anything to tickle my funnybone but it has to be said he is completely tailered to the English audience.

Saw only some of the new Savage Eye series - I think its brilliant - again its following the same format as previous episodes but it works for me. I don't know how he is getting away with some of the stuff he's doing to be hones with you - it crosses the line in places. I thinks its on again tonight (hopefully!)

Don't really get this. What do you mean?
that some comedians do well in UK that don't here and vice versa. Same goes for some US comedians. For example d'unbelievables did not travel well outside of Ireland and the british Office did not win hearts in the US and had to be totally reworked.

probably agree with most of previous posters except that i think Dylan Moran is excellent..

+1

I saw him a while back in Vicar Street. His opening line (involving the Celtic Tiger, a hot air balloon and peacock sandwiches) was brilliant, could only have been delivered by him and loses everything in the re-telling.

Also, when they're good, the Apres Match team are brilliant.

Ed Byrne once had a good joke involving Dexy's Midnight Runenrs, but that was a loooooong time ago.

that some comedians do well in UK that don't here and vice versa. Same goes for some US comedians. For example d'unbelievables did not travel well outside of Ireland and the british Office did not win hearts in the US and had to be totally reworked.

Of course, but I meant what is it about Ed Byrne that suggests UK audiences would like him more than Irish ones though?

because he started out in the uk when he was college, doing stuff that would work mainly for the uk audiences. he bases himself and his material mainly on uk stuff.

The one I really really despise is Tommy Tiernan, he just comes across as a nasty, sneering fool. I genuinely cannot understand why anyone would find him amusing - clearly people do though:confused:

Agreed... I wouldn't cross to road to see him if he was playing for free.

Lets hear it for Mrs Brown???, ....... no? :confused: Even the occasional ads for that turns my stomach, who buys that stuff.

Absolutely dreadful.... then again this type of stuff is catered for the Dubs & doesn't travel at all outside the Pale (just like Guinness of course)

I must say that I've always found Neil Delamere's live shows to be both highly original and more importantly highly enjoyable.

Absolutely dreadful.... then again this type of stuff is catered for the Dubs & doesn't travel at all outside the Pale (just like Guinness of course)

Think of it as revenge for D'Unbelievables :D ?

Speaking as a Dub (whatever that means :rolleyes:), Pat Shortt is to be admired for his success, but I just don't get D'Unbelievables or Kilnaskully.

I don't get Brendan O'Carroll, either BTW.

because he started out in the uk when he was college, doing stuff that would work mainly for the uk audiences. he bases himself and his material mainly on uk stuff.

Ah fair enough. I still like him though :eek:

Agreed... I wouldn't cross to road to see him if he was playing for free.

I think he can be too much sometimes but I also think he can be very good. He does himself no favours though, especially on chat shows - "Oooh I'm controversial and I'm going to upset everyone" and I don't think I've ever seen him come across well in that format. Live, is a different story altogether.

Agree on Kilnascully and Brendan O'Carroll (fifth rate Billy Connolly - he even uses his jokes).

Is Kevin MacAleer still around? Used to really like his stuff - an acquired taste maybe, but it was different.

Back