Ireland Vs France-The French Goal!!

So we should leave things as they are?

No, I have already said I would welcome technology but you can't expect players to referee themselves. Its not like golf or snooker where it only impacts the individual. Henry had ten teammates that wanted to go to the world cup. Imagine if he had owned up, the goal was disallowed and Ireland went down the pitch and scored a goal that should have been disallowed for offside. What happens then?

Responce from Gillette

Gillette is aware of the HENRY handball incident in the France v Ireland World Cup qualifier. Thierry Henry has publicly acknowledged that it was a handball. It is not our place to comment on the refereeing in the match. This incident does not affect his relationship with us.

Kind regards,

Fiona

Consumer Relations

Procter & Gamble UK will collect and store your personal details and we, or our agents, may re-contact you for a period to ensure we provide the best follow up services and measures of our performance. The information we collect from you about our products may also be shared with other departments within Procter & Gamble Worldwide. We will not use this data for any other purpose without your consent. If you would like more information about Procter & Gamble's Privacy Policy please let us know or alternatively log on to our website

I believe we have until 12 midnight tonight to wrap up this discussion before what has been comedy panto discussion turns into cringeworthy embarrassment.

The Irish team had plenty of chances to wrap the game up before the Henry incident, they didn't, let's leave it at that.
If we want to win, we need to do it for ourselves, and not rely on ref/technology/notions of fairplay or anything else unrelated to putting the ball into the net more times than your opponent.

I believe we have until 12 midnight tonight to wrap up this discussion before what has been comedy panto discussion turns into cringeworthy embarrassment.

The Irish team had plenty of chances to wrap the game up before the Henry incident, they didn't, let's leave it at that.
If we want to win, we need to do it for ourselves, and not rely on ref/technology/notions of fairplay or anything else unrelated to putting the ball into the net more times than your opponent.

Its impossible to win without fairplay.

At this rate, football will have to rebrand itself as "entertainment" instead of "sport" ala WWE wrestling. At this stage, all we're short of is some guy in spandex coming on and breaking a chair over someones head.

Since FIFA wont allow a replay I suggest we:
- Recall our ambassador to France
- Boycott French fries
- Boycott Cuisine de France
- Boycott Volvo cars (Swedish referee)
- Send home the Swedish au-pair..........maybe on second thoughts....
- Withdraw from the Euro (David McWilliams will be happy)
- Refuse to send Maire Geoghegan-Quinn to Europe

And if that doesn't work we can always threaten to appoint Mary Coughlan as EU Commissioner.

a facebook page was opened today and already as 120,000 signatures to replay the match.

Petition to have Ireland vs France replayed!!!

In mid summer hubby and I spent three weeks in France, as we have been doing for years. The spend was about €5,800 including hotels but not ferries. Today, we've decided that that was our last holiday there. We also will not give our custom to French restaurants, perfumes, clothing, wine etc. until the World Cup final. This was done in a fit of pique but in retrospect it makes sense. Cheaper holidays elsewhere and, lets face it, they were passed out years ago in the wine making department. I'm sure Henry would be demonised if lots of people did just this. A small step I know but it makes us feel good. We have decided not to shout about it from the rooftops and we are not grumpy old wagons. Hopefully.:)

Oh dear. I hope you boycott French fries too. That would put it right up there with the indignation of silly Americans after the French didn't agree with the war in Iraq. That told the French.... Bien sur it did.

Get a grip ma dear.

to SUNNY: It would help if you could name an injustice so transparent and irrefutable in a match of similar or greater importance.

Since FIFA wont allow a replay I suggest we:
- Recall our ambassador to France
- Boycott French fries
- Boycott Cuisine de France
- Boycott Volvo cars (Swedish referee)
- Send home the Swedish au-pair..........maybe on second thoughts....
- Withdraw from the Euro (David McWilliams will be happy)
- Refuse to send Maire Geoghegan-Quinn to Europe

And if that doesn't work we can always threaten to appoint Mary Coughlan as EU Commissioner.

LOL. Excellant!

Because it would have gone to penalties and if you were to pick 5 players from each team, who would you fancy?

Considering the French players were bottling it in front of their own fans (how many stray passes did they send out of play) it is fairly conceivable that the pressure on them for penalties would create a few french misses.

Because it was instinctive. Anyone who has played football has done something similar at some stage. Robbie Keane got done about 5 times last night for hand ball but no-one accuses him of cheating. It was a shocking referee decision.

He did it twice, once off his shoulder which was borderline and the second was miscontrol and more importantly both were seen. If we all do it instinctivlely it is still cheating.

Its not really. Anyone who follows football knows that a replay is impossible so why waste time ranting and raving looking for one. I have been following football for 30 years. This is not exactly the first time something like this has happened. There have been other injustices. The players I understand because they were involved but even Trap admits it can't be replayed so why the FAI are looking for one I don't know except they want to be seen to be doing something

Like I say, FIFA have other questions to answer and the FAI would be better off asking questions about the seeding of the teams and pushing for the use of technology than pushing a useless agenda of getting the result overturned.

Well as the voice of the knowledgeable football people here, I'm surprised that you say that a replay is a waste of time. Surely you remeber Arsenal offering to replay an FA cup game against Sheffield Utd after they scored an unsporting goal to win the match. They didn't even cheat to score but they did go against the code of sportsmanship, and Wenger agreed that out of fairness the tie should be replayed and it was. The ball is in the French FA's court and if they want to maintain their integrity they should offer the chance of a replay and let fifa make the hard choice, but I doubt they will.

Well as the voice of the knowledgeable football people here, I'm surprised that you say that a replay is a waste of time. Surely you remeber Arsenal offering to replay an FA cup game against Sheffield Utd after they scored an unsporting goal to win the match. They didn't even cheat to score but they did go against the code of sportsmanship, and Wenger agreed that out of fairness the tie should be replayed and it was. The ball is in the French FA's court and if they want to maintain their integrity they should offer the chance of a replay and let fifa make the hard choice, but I doubt they will.

Again, what has that got to do with the current situation. The replay wasn't played because of a mistake by the referee. If this match is played again because a linsman didn't see an offside and a ref didn't see handball, where do we stop? The season would never end with the amount of replays that would have to be played.

Did Englad get a replay after the hand of God in 1986?

Did Spurs get a replay in 2005 when Mendez's shot clearly went over the line against Man Utd but wasn't given and Roy Carroll the Utd keeper knew it did?

Did Australia get a replay in the 2006 world cup against Italy when they lost to an injury time penalty that was clearly a dive?

Also was there a replay when Graham Poll booked the Croatia player three times against Australia in the same world cup.

Check out Lional Messi's hand ball goal in La Liga a couple of years ago. Was there a replay?

I could go on and on........

I don't claim to be the voice of people with football knowledge. I do claim to be the voice of common sense though.

Like I say I am annoyed at the officials performance and am annoyed at FIFA for the whole seeding thing but we are out. It's a horrible way to go out but what's happened has happened.

He did it twice, once off his shoulder which was borderline and the second was miscontrol and more importantly both were seen. If we all do it instinctivlely it is still cheating.

Look at the game again. It was more than twice. And he protested after every single one

I could go on and on........

Sure only recently Liverpool got a penalty against Birmingham that even my mates that are Liverppool suporters admit was a dive. Man Utd scored a winner against Man City in the 5th minute of injury time even though only 3 minutes were allocated by the 4th official.
If the FAI keep the presure on FIFA, it may force them to look at using video technology in the future but I can't see anything happen for us now.
It is crazy that blatant cheating like this cannot be highlighted as it happens in a game and dealt with by the ref or 4th official, but unfortunately cheating is part of the game now whether people like it or not.

Back