iphone 4 or HTC phone?

I have an iPhone (3G only) and have recently purchased the wife a HTC Desire. from my perspective the Desire (and Android) is significantly better.The iPhone seems very locked down compared to the Android OS - agree with the posters above though that you need to purchase from a manufacturer (and carrier) who will release regular updates and get one with 2.1 or 2.2... the other route involves some know how and manually applying updates from the manufacturer - for example the 2.2 version of Android is available from HTC but not O2 yet.

I bought an I-Phone 4 at the weekend and I am starting to dislike it before I even use it. The sim card size in the new I-Phone is a new micro sized sim and the normal mini sim will not fit into the phone, so its not a case of just swapping out the sims. Vodafone recommend copying all contacts from my old phone to Microsoft Outlook and then from Outlook to the I-Phone. Trouble is I dont have access to Outlook. :mad:

Is there an app that can sync to Google Contacts from your old phone and then sync them back to your new phone?

My vote is dor the HTC Desire btw. It's a superb phone.

One of the things that puts me off the iPhone (or iPad for that matter is that it's not capable of operating independently - it's a slave to a pc, by design. Android is a full operating system in its own right, and you don't even need a pc to use one.

I cut down my sim without any problems, got a template online to do it and just printed it out. I was switching from an iphone 3g to iPhone 4 and used an app called Bump to transferr my contacts but you probably can't get the app for Nokia. I've since gotten a micro sim.

If you can easily transferr your contacts from your Nokia to Outlook then that would be easiest. If all your contacts are on your sim vodafone might be able to do it. There is a little "doofer" they (I've seen Meteor have then anyway so imagine they all do) have for copying the contacts from one sim to another.

So if they use your current sim in that, get your new micro sim and pop that into a micro-sim adapter (which is same principle of a micro-sd card adapter so makes the micro sim same size as a regular sim) I would be amazed if these phone shops haven't got the micro-sim adapter

[broken link removed] - these are available on ebay for a couple of euro

But again if all your contacts are not on your sim and are stored in phone memory then use nokia sortware to export the contacts out of your phone and into Outlook.

Last edited:
This is the template I used for cutting down the sim, I tested it on an old sim first to make sure the phone recognised it before cutting down my real sim.

[broken link removed]

I believe the sim holds more data and maybe some other stuff, however I believe the main reason was space inside the phone. While the actual amount of space it saves is tiny I think its quite a lot for apple, more space they had available the more room they had for bigger battery with better life.

Not owning a smartphone ..

.. I assume it is, despite the VODAFONE ad, all about the apps. And if the number of apps for the iPhone is significantly more than those for Android phones, what can an Android phone offer that an iPhone can not :confused: ?

my UK colleague calls her Apple the " IcantPhone" as it regularly drops calls. She is so frustrated with it.

I assume it is, despite the VODAFONE ad, all about the apps. And if the number of apps for the iPhone is significantly more than those for Android phones, what can an Android phone offer that an iPhone can not :confused: ?

I'd suggest looking at the apps you might use/need rather than just the number available.

One thing to note is that malicious apps are far more of a concern on the Android platform due to the free for all distribution channel.

Back