Invites to evening part of Wedding.

Ash 22

What do you think of getting invited to evening part only. I have heard mixed reactions. Some people feel if they don't get a full invite thats it , no interest in evening.

it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. If someone wants to invite me to their wedding I'd be gracious whatever their wishes were.

if it was my wedding and i could only afford to bring a couple of friends and family to meal and then invite everyone else to afters, well I hope my friends would understand and understand it wasn't a slight. If they took huge offence with me, well I'd reconsider why I'm friends with them, and point out there more important stuff to get offended over!

don't even bother acknowledging receipt of it, let alone responding.

ah, a plate-lickers invite.

Now before you all jump on me, I would not be offended in the slightest myself to receive an evening invitation, but I have heard evening invites referred to as above.

I'm thinking rmelly was joking...

Some older folks can sometimes refuse to attend "just" the afters. I'd be happy to go. Weddings are costly, as we all know and space at the meal can be limited. What I'm sorry about is that it's not generally the "done" thing to head to the ceremony if you are only invited to the afters - that's the best bit! You could then go out for your own dinner and meet back up at the afters. I also think it's a shame that the afters people generally miss the speeches...

Sprite

I was and I wasn't. I hate weddings, they're a waste of my time and money, especially if I have to travel to the venue and stay overnight which often happens.

any weddings i've been to this year (3 so far - family and close friends) have not had afters. I think that is becoming the norm now.

I was and I wasn't. I hate weddings, they're a waste of my time and money, especially if I have to travel to the venue and stay overnight which often happens.
So reply & respectfully decline, No point in letting your miserable outlook oon life affect anyone else, Then you can sit at home, safe in the knowlege that you didn't have to bother going along to somebody's celebration, somebody who thought of you as a close enough friend to invite to what they see as a very important day in their lives.

You could even get a meal for one in Lidl.

So reply & respectfully decline, No point in letting your miserable outlook oon life affect anyone else, Then you can sit at home, safe in the knowlege that you didn't have to bother going along to somebody's celebration, somebody who thought of you as a close enough friend to invite to what they see as a very important day in their lives.

You could even get a meal for one in Lidl.

Lighten up there TwoWheels. I go to the ones where I like the people, I was just pointing out that it's generally €500 a pop and a full weekend. I have cousins I haven't met in a decade, so why would I bother going to theirs? Obviously I respond, but I don't just say yes to all of them. One a year is fine by me.

I think it is perfectly acceptable to invite people to "afters only" - hasn't this been going on for ages? Space may be limited in church, at reception, etc. Perfect for the cousins that you only see at funerals, workmates that you're not close to, friends from school who you don't really see anymore...

Thats my feeling on it also and I don't feel in the least slighted when I get an evening invite.

I prefer to be asked to the evening part of a wedding. The main reason being that we have two small children. We would have to get a sitter for the whole day and then late into the night. I would miss the children and also it would cost a fortune.

Other reasons:
- my husband and I don't have to take a day off work
- you can go smart casual, you don't have to buy a new outfit or go dressed up to the nines
- a small gift will suffice
- i hate the boring part between the end of the ceremony and the meal. It's just a drinking session which tires me.
- the most fun part is the dancing!

Once my (now ex) other half was invited to the full wedding and I was told sure you can come along to the afters if you like, we can't afford to invite you both,

Now that I did object to

I was pretty up front when I told her where to shove it!! To not be invited was one thing, but to have her make the point of saying WE ARE NOT INVITING YOU! well thats just mean!!

but if I could only afford to have a few people at the meal I would want to invite as many of my best friends as i could. The bride would only know you THRU her friends, she's not your friend directly. I'd think it was perfectly reasonable if she was a really close friend to ask your girlfriend to the meal and then you to the afters. they might have been stuck for space!

after reading this thread and another thread about peoples mixed reactions to weddings , im half afraid to send out my invites as i will be wondering if 2 thirds of the people i invite really want to be there are actually thinking "oh god not another bloddy invite how the heck do i get out of this one "!!

Yes it does make you think. I always thought everybody loved weddings. Obviously not now.

Back