Investment in some shares, can it be fraud?How can i be sure?

First, if you bought the shares through a broker you should contact the broker concerning the issues raised in your post. Secondly, you should contact the Registrar of Companies in the UK to determine if the company is dissolved, in liquidation, whatever, and see what information they hold on the company. Thirdly, you should contact the company’s shares registrar to confirm you are a shareholder. They may also be able to answer your questions. The main registrars in the UK are Capita, Equiniti and ComputerShare.
I don’t know anything about the companies mentioned in your post but a quick internet search would have alerted you to a warning on ‘Commercial First Trading’ by the Danish FSA.
[broken link removed]
You could also check with the Central Bank to see what status (if any) these companies have under the Investment Intermediaries Act 1995.

What's the name of the company you apparently invested in? PM if you want. I have access to certain databases that may have some info on it if it is a UK or Irish company.

I invested in the company Cosmoseis PLC.
Saturday i have an appointment with the police and they will transfer it to the federal police, everybody is giving me tips for further steps, what are the most important ones?

First, if you bought the shares through a broker you should contact the broker concerning the issues raised in your post. Secondly, you should contact the Registrar of Companies in the UK to determine if the company is dissolved, in liquidation, whatever, and see what information they hold on the company. Thirdly, you should contact the company’s shares registrar to confirm you are a shareholder. They may also be able to answer your questions. The main registrars in the UK are Capita, Equiniti and ComputerShare.
I don’t know anything about the companies mentioned in your post but a quick internet search would have alerted you to a warning on ‘Commercial First Trading’ by the Danish FSA.
You could also check with the Central Bank to see what status (if any) these companies have under the Investment Intermediaries Act 1995.

1)They are indeed dissoled, that information i got by email from Companies House Contact Centre .
2) Registrar of Companies in the UK : where do i do this?
3)company’s shares registrar to confirm you are a shareholder: and where do i do this?
4) i did indeed found the warning about commercial first, but not initially...
5) check with the Central Bank, do i do this by email? is this a database?

They usually call you after your initial investment to influence you to invest more probably with lies about how well your initial investment is doing. I'm shocked you lost 30k. Although you should be wary of throwing more money away on solicitors you should definitely send written complaints as well documented as possible to every single official government regulator involved for the cost of a few stamps and a bit of paper. It might help build a case against the fraudsters and at the very least help future victims.

Believe me, i've regretted the investment already for 2full years and hardly a day goes by without thinking about it. that's why i just want answers and put this behind me. written complaints to every single official government regulator? where can i do this?

thanks again!!

I invested in the company Cosmoseis PLC.
Saturday i have an appointment with the police and they will transfer it to the federal police, everybody is giving me tips for further steps, what are the most important ones?

They are one of the common company names that comes up in these scams. You have lost your money so I think you just need to accept this and move on.

As for letting regulators know, you just simply tell the regulator of the Country where you were when they called. Be advised though, this is simply so the Regulator can put it on their website where they list unregistered companies operating in their jurisdiction which might help future potential victims. You can search this online to see if they are already there.

As the "broker" you dealt with was not registered, you are probably not eligible to take advantage of any compensation or complaints procedure that a regulator might have in place. You have told the police. There is not much else you can do I am afraid.

Here is the Irish Central Bank's list of unauthorised firms operating in Ireland that they are aware of and also details about how you report them.

[broken link removed]

Some info on the scam...

I've filled in a form towards the FSA now too with all details. Strange this is that the company was indeed listed on the Frankfurt exchange for a while. I could follow it.... and i did receive partially some share certificates... so i can't yet explain everything..

They are one of the common company names that comes up in these scams. You have lost your money so I think you just need to accept this and move on.

As for letting regulators know, you just simply tell the regulator of the Country where you were when they called. Be advised though, this is simply so the Regulator can put it on their website where they list unregistered companies operating in their jurisdiction which might help future potential victims. You can search this online to see if they are already there.

As the "broker" you dealt with was not registered, you are probably not eligible to take advantage of any compensation or complaints procedure that a regulator might have in place. You have told the police. There is not much else you can do I am afraid.

Here is the Irish Central Bank's list of unauthorised firms operating in Ireland that they are aware of and also details about how you report them.

I know that their names comes up, but they were listed though on the bourse, not everybody can just list i think? I have accepted the fact that i lost my money already a while ago, but that does not mean i do not want to have all answers and report it. i've waited way too long to do so, just becaused i was ashamed of my stupidness. I've not yet told the police, that's for this weekend, i have an appointment with them and have printed out all transfers,emails,whatever that can help them out. We'll see what they can find out extra..

I know that their names comes up, but they were listed though on the bourse, not everybody can just list i think? I have accepted the fact that i lost my money already a while ago, but that does not mean i do not want to have all answers and report it. i've waited way too long to do so, just becaused i was ashamed of my stupidness. I've not yet told the police, that's for this weekend, i have an appointment with them and have printed out all transfers,emails,whatever that can help them out. We'll see what they can find out extra..

The company you might have bought shares in might have been listed on some stock exchange and might have been completely ligitimate but the broker that "sold" you the shares was not authorised to sell the shares or even to operate in Ireland. It is these you report to the Central Bank, not the company you might have bought shares in.

Even though I notice that you appear to be talking about Federal and State police. You are obviously not in Ireland.

The company you might have bought shares in might have been listed on some stock exchange and might have been completely ligitimate but the broker that "sold" you the shares was not authorised to sell the shares or even to operate in Ireland. It is these you report to the Central Bank, not the company you might have bought shares in.

Even though I notice that you appear to be talking about Federal and State police. You are obviously not in Ireland.

Can i check the existence of the share certificates that i got? It's indeed the 'broker' that i'm worried about. But anyway the police and federal police will be able to find out more also through the account where the money was transferred to, but correct, i'm not in Ireland, i'm from Belgium.

I have accepted the fact that i lost my money already a while ago,

The only consolation I can offer you is that you might be able to set this 100% loss against future capital gains for taxation purposes.

i've waited way too long to do so, just becaused i was ashamed of my stupidness. I've not yet told the police, that's for this weekend, i have an appointment with them and have printed out all transfers,emails,whatever that can help them out. We'll see what they can find out extra..

Your embarrassment is normal but you will feel much prouder of yourself if you battle the embarrassment and do it anyway. The embarrassment is part of their sick scam and the longer it has power over you the longer they will be damaging your self esteem and future well being. It will do wonders for you in being able to come to terms with what happened and move on poorer yet wiser and hopefully recovering to feel a lot better. The authorities see this scam every day and you will just be another file in their system and they will deal with it professionally.

The only consolation I can offer you is that you might be able to set this 100% loss against future capital gains for taxation purposes.

I don't quite understand what you mean with 'future capital gains for taxation purposes' Can you explain that one? :-/ Thanks

Your embarrassment is normal but you will feel much prouder of yourself if you battle the embarrassment and do it anyway. The embarrassment is part of their sick scam and the longer it has power over you the longer they will be damaging your self esteem and future well being. It will do wonders for you in being able to come to terms with what happened and move on poorer yet wiser and hopefully recovering to feel a lot better. The authorities see this scam every day and you will just be another file in their system and they will deal with it professionally.

I know that i have to go forward with this. And i know there are probably thousands and thousands of people like me, i just thought i would be smarter than this to have me fooled like this, but what is passed is passed. I will inform the police as complete as possible and hopefully they are able to track some things, maybe provide some answers and spare other people from this kind of scams and also from the embarrassement, but these days, the internet is just not a safe place anymore.

To all:

Just to keep people that might be interested or encounter (hopefully not) something similar updated about my actions.

As mentioned the last time, last weekend i had an appointment at the policde office. The officer took 2hours to make a report! for which i was of course very thankfull and which is i think an exception. The report and my comment was sent today towards the Federal Police who is planning on looking at all of this 'tomorrow'. Altough the chances of a 'positive' outcome are small, taking the step off going to the police has been a big relief and it seems i was lucky with the choice of the police officer too. Let's hope the others are as ambitious as her and then i do expect for some 'answers' to come.

Gr

What a shamefull case..I would never invest in a company that is not too popular to just disappear from sight. It's important to make queries to official organizations that register such companies and check all the available information. Anyway, thanks for informing about your issue, it's better to learn by someone else's mistakes..

What a shamefull case..I would never invest in a company that is not too popular to just disappear from sight. It's important to make queries to official organizations that register such companies and check all the available information. Anyway, thanks for informing about your issue, it's better to learn by someone else's mistakes..

You are right! I wish i would have learned from someone else's mistakes too, but the truth is indeed that i thought that at the moment itselve, i did enough research, but it's clear that it was far from enough. As far as the police of federal police, i got the quick reply in the meanwhile that the 30K is just not enough to investigate the case any further, so it's a done deal.

Back