Investment in some shares, can it be fraud?How can i be sure?

Tommy1981

Hello,

I'm hoping somebody can help my out with a couple of questions.

Since september 2009 i am a shareholder of a company that is registered in the UK. Today the company has no longer an active website, i cannot reach them by email or telephone and have gotten no official information what so ever from them.
The only information i found myself through the internet was that there was a strike off of the company or they may even be dissolved. Anyway you turn that, i know it's not good. The only thing i want to know for sure is, do or do they no longer exist, are they completely out of business, are they maybe undergoing a restructuring and will they be reactived or taken over. At this point i'm going from the scenario that i've lost my money, but i have no idea in what way i need (as an official shareholder) need to be informed officially by them or somebody about maybe a bankruptcy or whatever. What happens then? They have certain assets i think? Is there maybe a chance that i can get some of my money back. A lot of questions where i can no longer find anymore answers too. Has somebody experienced this themselves? Has somebody got a clue or advise what i can do or which steps i can take? The 'broker' where i bought these shares was a company called 'Commercial First Trading' and is now taken over by 'Westbrook Associates' and both of them are not really helping me. I would be very gratefull for any reply of course.

Thanks a lot.
Best regards.
Tom

who convinced you to buy the shares ? Did you buy them after receiving a cold call phonecall from a stranger ?

I think you know the answer to your query. Where did you hear about this 'broker'?

@ bullworth : indeed, after a cold call from a stranger. I know......the most stupid decision of my whole life, but anyway, that's 2years ago, i just want to find some answers and close the chapter. The company is 'dissolved' I've gotten that information from the "Companies House" and they advise me to legal advise with a solicitor.
Should i contact a solicitor in the UK or where i'm from(Belgium) there i'm not yet sure what to do.

@ Sunny : I indeed think i know the answer to my question already a long time. I've regret this 'investment' 2weeks after i did already, but anyway i want to close the chapter, with what outcome there is, but therefor i need first some answers...

Harsh lesson learned. Forget about wasting your time trying to chase this down. You were scammed.

Harsh lesson learned. Forget about wasting your time trying to chase this down. You were scammed.

What makes you so sure?The company exists for 4years, i've already found some ex-employees through linkedin. There is official information about a 'dissolvement'... Is it not worth just not to let this go?

@ bullworth : indeed, after a cold call from a stranger. I know......the most stupid decision of my whole life, but anyway, that's 2years ago, i just want to find some answers and close the chapter. The company is 'dissolved' I've gotten that information from the "Companies House" and they advise me to legal advise with a solicitor.
Should i contact a solicitor in the UK or where i'm from(Belgium) there i'm not yet sure what to do.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/19/share_scam_sucker_list_warning/

As I thought Tommy. You were probably called from some kind of spammer list as outlined above. I would report the scam to the police and also write to them with a full outline of your case.

I would also have a read of this site of the UK financial services centre and complain to as many avenues as possible.
[broken link removed]

You might not get your money back but you can at least help to build a case for conviction against whoever it was who scammed you.

Also check out this link for complaining:

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/

You need to report both the company and the broker who sold the shares to you.

What makes you so sure?The company exists for 4years, i've already found some ex-employees through linkedin. There is official information about a 'dissolvement'... Is it not worth just not to let this go?

What proof have you that the person who rang you out of the blue and asked you to invest in a random company was legitimate? Sure, the company might well be a valid real company but you should have made sure you knew who you were dealing with.

I just don't know of companies who randomly ring phone numbers looking for people to invest in their company.

How much did you invest? Hopefully you haven't lost too much.

I am busy with step 1 and 2. This saturday i have an appointment at the police office with somebody i personally know. She will make the report as full as possible and pass it in the best way possibile to our Federal Police. Hopefully they can help me in what way possible. But i know that chances are very small to recover any money. Thanks for the info and help!

What proof have you that the person who rang you out of the blue and asked you to invest in a random company was legitimate? Sure, the company might well be a valid real company but you should have made sure you knew who you were dealing with.

I just don't know of companies who randomly ring phone numbers looking for people to invest in their company.

How much did you invest? Hopefully you haven't lost too much.

i don't have that proof. They did keep calling me for 2years giving me updates. They did send me certificates of the shares made by a company in the UK.But are these certificates real? It's a fact that i wanted to try out a new way of investing, something else then real-estate, the problem is that i initially told myself not to invest more then 10000€, but at the end invested 30000€ which will probably be all gone. I will continue through the police and also a sollicitor to recuperate some of it, but chance are small that i know and realise and it's a hard leason, but i've certainly learned from it....the hard way.

i don't have that proof. They did keep calling me for 2years giving me updates. They did send me certificates of the shares made by a company in the UK.But are these certificates real? It's a fact that i wanted to try out a new way of investing, something else then real-estate, the problem is that i initially told myself not to invest more then 10000€, but at the end invested 30000€ which will probably be all gone. I will continue through the police and also a sollicitor to recuperate some of it, but chance are small that i know and realise and it's a hard leason, but i've certainly learned from it....the hard way.

Don't be spending more money on solicitors. Honestly, you are wasting your time.

I suppose we are all assuming it is a scam.

It is worth getting a solictor to check out for sure if that is the case.

They did keep calling me for 2years giving me updates.

They do this to sell you even more shares.

I agree with the general advice given. Let the police know but don't bother spending any further money on solicitors. Your money is gone. You are now a lot wiser.

Brendan

I suppose we are all assuming it is a scam.

It is worth getting a solictor to check out for sure if that is the case.

Indeed, i just want some answers to be able to close the chapter you know. Uncertainty is just harder then to know 100% for sure that nothing is to be done. That's how i feel at least.

Thanks for the answers!

They do this to sell you even more shares.

I agree with the general advice given. Let the police know but don't bother spending any further money on solicitors. Your money is gone. You are now a lot wiser.

Brendan

In the 2years...sorry they never tried to sell more shares... they only said over and over and over to keep being patient. but anyway, i know enough from all answer given. thanks

In the 2years...sorry they never tried to sell more shares... they only said over and over and over to keep being patient. but anyway, i know enough from all answer given. thanks

What's the name of the company you apparently invested in? PM if you want. I have access to certain databases that may have some info on it if it is a UK or Irish company.

They usually call you after your initial investment to influence you to invest more probably with lies about how well your initial investment is doing. I'm shocked you lost 30k. Although you should be wary of throwing more money away on solicitors you should definitely send written complaints as well documented as possible to every single official government regulator involved for the cost of a few stamps and a bit of paper. It might help build a case against the fraudsters and at the very least help future victims.

They are based in Indonesia. Doubt they are even regulated there and are certainly not regulated in Ireland or any other European country. There is nothing regulators can do apart from issuing a public warning that this firm is operating here without permission. Let the regulator know but dont expect much.

Back