Key Post Investment in Irish Forestry Funds

I was absolutely mad when I received cheques for various F.I.P plans. I have come to the conclusion considering the high level of risk not to recommend forestry investments to anyone. This is not what I signed up for. The amount of times over the years these F.I.P were recommended in the media indicating above average returns would make you sick. All letters and information provided over the past 10 - 13 years indicated the market was difficult but at no point suggested returns would be so disastrous. Secondly who actually bought our Forestry investment. If I had left the money in the banks for the past 13 years my return would have been equal or greater. Some management of funds. I would say we got out by the skin of our teeth. I felt lucky to receive my original investment. What skill or qualification does it take to get 1.783 % return over the period. An intelligent monkey could do as well. We were sold a pig in a *** .

Interesting to go back and read the first page of this thread which has comments from 2002.

I had a look at buying into some of these funds in 2003/2004 but decided against it as I didn't really like the way the investment was structured - lucky me!

I think it shows up the old adage, only invest in things you understand.

Glad to have read this post. I had contacted the FIS to check-out a potential investment. Will now politely decline!

just got my cheque for the 10th, very dissappointing return after 11 years...
Wont invsting in this product again that is for sure

Looking at the following link I see a projected rate of return for the 10th plan of 9%, when in fact on maturity it returned less than 2%
I also see no rate of return listed for plans that have matured...
Surely this is false advertising? Someone should be notified of this?
[broken link removed]

All quick query anyone had to get an out of date cheque reissued from above if so any issues.

Thanks

Finally found a forum where one can get the real returns dismal which is what I suspected .
Any views on Christmas tree investment ?

Bump! Got an update on the Forestry Growth fund - a 12 year plan (must look up if was taken out 12 years ago!)
which is being prepped for sale - due diligence etc so no chance of anything quickly but if I have a return of some sort for Chrimbo I'll be happy. It'll just feel like found money at this stage.

have very little knowledge of this kind of investment but the lack of clarity and lack of real provable evidence would have me stir clear. Only facts that I do have is being observer to the sale of a forest that is not complete but very mature. Trying to get a value was hard but eventually a value of 80 to 90K was suggested. It actually sold for 50K which made the whole project very poor value in real terms.

Just got a letter about the Forestry Growth Plan Plc (summer 2006) , target for competition first quarter 2019. Nothing new otherwise.

have very little knowledge of this kind of investment but the lack of clarity and lack of real provable evidence would have me stir clear. Only facts that I do have is being observer to the sale of a forest that is not complete but very mature. Trying to get a value was hard but eventually a value of 80 to 90K was suggested. It actually sold for 50K which made the whole project very poor value in real terms.

Can you tells us how many acres, or what type of forest.

20 acres of unplanted land suitable for forestry would probably go for a bit more than €50k.

That would qualify for grants of course.

Forestry Growth Plan (2006) and Third Forestry Growth Plan (2007) sales soon to be completed, with offers accepted for both plans. The letter is rather more bullish than any previous ones with talk of a rebound for high quality forestry assets so hopefully the ROI will be rather bigger than last time.

Forestry Growth Plan (2006) and Third Forestry Growth Plan (2007) sales soon to be completed, with offers accepted for both plans. The letter is rather more bullish than any previous ones with talk of a rebound for high quality forestry assets so hopefully the ROI will be rather bigger than last time.
Indeed massive bullishness!! I'm in the 11th and 12th Plans and got a letter today that they are selling off these investments too and to expect cheques in the post "at the end of July". The letter is peppered with positivity as in the following: "we have accepted a strong offer"....." the strength of this offer is compelling"...."robust offer..." "shareholders returns have been securely locked in.." etc etc.

Seeing is believing!

It looks like all the forests are been sold; I have shares in the 4th Irish Forestry Fund which date back to 1998.
I was hoping to stay the course a full 30 years, however it looks like it is a “done deal”, with language like “the directors have chosen to take advantage of a strong offer”.
It reminds to be seen what this “strong offer” is??

Any thoughts ?

Regards

I'm in 5th fund got letter today about the great opportunity that management accepted, buyer has insisted on non disclosure agreement..... Fairly shocking that this type of behaviour is seen as acceptable, I expect poor return with no recourse to justice. These guys are taking us for a final milking.

Back