Invalidity pension whilst self employed

rum and black

I would love to know has anyone that is self employed with no other contributions as in (A, D , P etc ) manage to claim invalidity pension. If so did you have any difficulty and were you ill for long before claiming it.

What do you mean "no other" contributions?
What PRSI contributions, if any, do you actually have?
I presume that you're already familiar with the PRSI contribution qualification criteria for the Invalidity Pension?

What do you mean "no other" contributions?
What PRSI contributions, if any, do you actually have?
I presume that you're already familiar with the PRSI contribution qualification criteria for the Invalidity Pension?
What i meant about no other contributions was that your full contribution record was class S
I have a full Class S contribution record since 1988 up to 2021.

What i meant about no other contributions was that your full contribution record was class S
I have a full Class S contribution record since 1988 up to 2021.
Seems to be two threads dealing with your query...

In the other thread you said that you have class S contributions since the 80s. How many class S contributions do you have in total? Any other contributions? It should be simple to figure out what sort of contributory benefits you qualify for from those details. I don't understand where any confusion arises?

It appears you may have enough contributions to qualify for Invalidity Pension. However you also need to qualify under the medical criteria.

You cannot have Invalidity Pension while in paid employment or self-employment.
Perhaps Partial Capacity Payment might be an option

Seems to be two threads dealing with your query...
Hi Clubman,
There are not two threads dealing with my query as both queries are different in my eyes. One relates to invalidity pension the other relates to Contributory old age Pension.

In the other thread you said that you have class S contributions since the 80s. How many class S contributions do you have in total? Any other contributions? It should be simple to figure out what sort of contributory benefits you qualify for from those details. I don't understand where any confusion arises?
I have 52 S contributions each year from 1988 (when class S was first introduced for self employed people) to 2021 as indicated above. I am not aware of any further contributions and when my record was requested it did not show any. I was employed in a family business since I commenced work in 1974 class.
I thought Ask about money was a website that helped answer question that people struggled with. and over the years I have got assistance many times and was grateful for it.
If it was simple to figure out for me I would not need to ask for help.

It appears you may have enough contributions to qualify for Invalidity Pension. However you also need to qualify under the medical criteria.

You cannot have Invalidity Pension while in paid employment or self-employment.
Perhaps Partial Capacity Payment might be an option
Thank you I will follow up on the medical criteria.

I have 52 S contributions each year from 1988 (when class S was first introduced for self employed people) to 2021...If it was simple to figure out for me I would not need to ask for help.
The PRSI qualification criteria are simple.
If you have 33 years X 52 class S contributions then that's 1,716 total which entitles you to 1,716 ÷ 2,080 = c. 80% of the full contributory rate (subject to any other relevant criteria).
This is all explained in the links that I have posted several times in both threads.

Back