"intrum justitia" Credit agency claim

Re: Compensation from Debt collector

My son is 27 yrs and says he did a transaction but did not have a sale
Just read that from your other post. He did a transaction but did not have a sale? What does that mean? If you enter into a transaction on ebay, you are buying a product or service.

My son has the account. I have never used Ebay, I have not registered as an account.
This is a different issue, I do not have all of the details but he had a verbal agreement for a 2nd transaction and as I said in the other post he was unable to contact them on their automated telephone system to clear this up. So why have they contacted me? It is Intrum Justitia not Ebay that is threatening legal action with me. will they threaten brother/sister next?

They cannot damage your credit rating. That is a myth they put out to frighten people into paying.

Not 100%. well not in my case anyway.

It happened to me that someone either with the same name or had used my name took out credit, payed for a while and then never paid again.

8 years later i got a letters from 3 different debt companies requesting that i pay.

To cut a long story short 2 of these i was able to prove that it wasn't me. Date that payments were made i could prove i was out of the country, so they let it go. The 3rd company wouldn't budge even after sending them all the information that was good enough for the other companies.

The last letter i had from them said they would register the bad debt against me and this would effect my credit rating. Obviously going mad over this and what i found out after phoning around a various of places is that they can register this debt against you, i contacted them again saying if they did that i would sue them. Never heard anything back from them since then.

I wanted to go to court so i could show the judge what proof i had but was told they dont take people to court for this, i just had to pay it. Which of course i never did. I think they have managed to figure out for themselves that it wasn't actually me, but it took some doing.

I wouldn't hold out any hope of getting anything from them. It's hard enough to get anything from them apart from " how much are you going to pay"

And i loved it that they offered me a 40% discount on the outstanding payment if i paid there and then. Did they somehow think i was going to pay a debt that wasn't mine just cause they offered a discount.

I'd just settle that they have stopped contacting you about this.

They can only affect a credit rating if they obtain a judgement against you, at least it is that way in the Republic. In the UK they operate slightly differently in that they often purchase debts. This is very rare here.

Maybe thats what it was then.

I find it hard that it went on for 8 years with me not hearing a thing about it. It's not like i disappeared, i had bank account, utilities ect in my name.

One of these companies was intrum justitia, but they dropped it pretty quickly. The other 2 were english companies.

It got very complicated as one account was set up in Ireland the other 2 in the UK. So i had letters coming at me from all over the place.

My son has the account. I have never used Ebay, I have not registered as an account.
This is a different issue, I do not have all of the details but he had a verbal agreement for a 2nd transaction and as I said in the other post he was unable to contact them on their automated telephone system to clear this up. So why have they contacted me? It is Intrum Justitia not Ebay that is threatening legal action with me. will they threaten brother/sister next?

Do you not think that you should have all the information from your son by now? did he email them? I don't think there is much point chasing compensation when you don't have all the facts from your son! Sort that out then reply to debt collectors!

I have already stated that my son's case is a different issue, it does not concern me, it is up to him to put his case, I have not signed to be his guarantor

So are the debt collectors chasing two different debts then? One from your son and one from you? If not I don't understand? I thought this was one eBay debt that they were after ? If it is the one debt they are chasing I don't see how you can say that they are in the wrong when you admit that you don't know the full details! Please clarify

They can only affect a credit rating if they obtain a judgement against you, at least it is that way in the Republic. In the UK they operate slightly differently in that they often purchase debts. This is very rare here.

Not specifically in relation to this company but there was a case of debts sold on to another company in the newspapers recently resulting in a person being brought to court so maybe it's not so rare.

Indeed, but the point being made is that the DCA cannot do anything unless it takes a person to court.

OP, can you clarify who they are seeking repayment from? Is it from you or your son? Do you know that this is related to your sons eBay or are you just guessing?

I dont see how your name would be on any documentation to do with your sons eBay - the debt collectors would be seeking your son, not you. How would they even know your name? Its also illegal to seek payment of a debt from someone who had no involvement with the debt.

That is exactly the point. My son has a problem, they are seeking payment from me. I repeat, I have never used Ebay, they have never clarified what the debt is for so I cannot say for certain if it is his debt. I assume that it is his debt because he has used my credit card in the past.

So he set up the account using your name and credit card info?

That is exactly the point. My son has a problem, they are seeking payment from me. I repeat, I have never used Ebay, they have never clarified what the debt is for.

But my point is that you have not clarified the details of your sons ebay transaction either! so the point is, he may have bid on something in your name, either way somebody gave your name in the first place so until you get all the details from your son I don't think you can chase debt collection agency.

So he set up the account using your name and credit card info?

Sounds like it to me - they didn't magic op's name out of thin air! reluctance to get full story from son puzzles me along with the fact that op is treating these as two separate issues??? :confused:

The account is not in my name. Ebay must allow payment from other credit cards?
What about getting all of the details from Ebay, which they have failed to do? and why no previous bills? My son lives the other end of the country.
On a different note. I have stopped all family members form using my card for booking flights, ordering insurance etc>

This doesnt make sense. Are you 100% sure that the debt collection agency are collecting an eBay debt? Regardless of whether or not you credit card was used by your son, if the account is in his name, the debt collectors will be seeking him.

I suspect that we may all be barking up the wrong tree here. There are three possibilities (1) it is an entirely different payment they are seeking or (2) someone was using your name/details without your permission to run up debts or (3) they've confused you with someone else in the area with a similar name.

You need to ask the debt collection agency what exact alleged debt they are chasing, who has instructed them, what date the alleged debt was incurred and what it was for?

T
What about getting all of the details from Ebay, which they have failed to do? and why no previous bills? My son lives the other end of the country.
O

Look, if ebay had an outstanding debt owed by you or your son, he will have received invoices and then non payment of items notes along with emails from ebay about items in dispute they will be in HIS ebay account. HE will have the information already sent from Ebay if it is a legitimate transaction..... if not then they obviously have the wrong person. You & your son need to email both ebay and debt collectors.... not being able to get through on phone over the course of last three weeks won't cut it. They have a good email service and you should have the reference number on the letter from debt collector.

As I said earlier, they are not responding to emails or letters, All I have is a threat to take legal action Quoting Ebay (unsigned letter), no previous communications or letters. I am assuming it is my son’s transaction, but that is another issue and he also disputes his payment. I have written to both parties and obtained proof of postage.
That is why I want this trigger happy practice stopped.

Re: Credit agency claim

I've had a run-in with Intrum. Lloyds Bank put them on to me for an overdraft 10 years ago which I had already paid off. They're total incompetents.

Trouble with them, though, is that they're relentless.

Back