Interactive Investor Ireland absorbed by II UK

Because I lived the Lehmann Brothers collapse I just don't like having only 1 broker. I don't care about the problem with managing multiple accounts. I'm a long term investor. I'll cash in in many years from now always aware of the FIFO rule in case I sell the same share of the same company in different times via different brokers. Also if the brokers have issues protection is up to a certain amount for each broker.
PS: I admit it I don't know how to paste quotes anymore

Last edited:
Fair enough, thanks for the feedback @LoveTrees.

Just curious, what direct effect did the Lehman's collapse have on you/your investments? Delay in retrieving them or something else?

Also if the brokers have issues protection is up to a certain amount for each broker.
PS: I admit it I don't know how to paste quotes anymore

As far as I'm aware, the protection only applies to the cash balance in your account, not the value of your investments.

@ClubMan sorry I didnt invest with LB directly... But I meant that I lived through the effects of it like being among the people queueing outside Northern Rock near Harcourt Street

@Silversurfers thank you. To me that's one more incentive to keep diversifying on brokers. As regards money I don't like excessive loyalty to just one broker...

@ClubMan sorry I didnt invest with LB directly... But I meant that I lived through the effects of it like being among the people queueing outside Northern Rock near Harcourt Street
I don't really see what that situation has to do with somebody investing in equities or how using different brokers helps?

@EmmDee yes, so what? It was all interconnected. Subprime collapsed everywhere and LB was just a symbol I wanted to mention. And the biggest lesson I learned is diversify diversify diversify when talking about your hard-earned money...

To all: De gustibus non disputandum est please... I just gave an opinion... And I am honest in saying I was queueing outside NR as well

Last edited:
I havent been able to get rid of my portfolio with II, I can see the 10 pound charges but not the 4 pound non-resident charge. Is an yone else in the same boat?

13.98 Sterling DD on my revolt a/c, haven't decided what to do yet with my portfolio, the new format is geared towards monthly investment, instead if long term storage of shares. This is still an issue for me

On the web version go into “Portfolio” and then “Transactions” and it’s listed in gpb transactions (along with any other transactions you have made).

Hi all, I see this thread has been quiet for a while but here goes. Has anyone examined or know whether there are any issues now post Brexit
(1) moving your positions from one UK broker like II to another non UK EU broker.
(2) selling out on all your positions and transferring the cash back to your Irish Back account.

I am struggling to find any info online . Any help or guidance you can provide would be appreciated

I used to have an account with Interactive Investor but decided to leave after they decided to impose a discriminatory £3.99 per month additional charge on non-UK residents. In my opinion, rivals such as Degiro and Interactive Brokers are more suitable for Irish investors.

Hi all, I see this thread has been quiet for a while but here goes. Has anyone examined or know whether there are any issues now post Brexit
(1) moving your positions from one UK broker like II to another non UK EU broker.
(2) selling out on all your positions and transferring the cash back to your Irish Back account.

I am struggling to find any info online . Any help or guidance you can provide would be appreciated
No clue sorry. They know I reside in Ireland but after movement to ii.co.uk my account is still active and to my view works ok despite monthly inactivity fee...

Hi did anyone here stick with Interactive Investor? I have been trying to transfer my stock out but I hit many roadblocks. I like the idea of sticking with them as I have Degiro as well and would love to be spread out. There is no legal way to use a north of Ireland address to avoid fees? With investment trusts disappearing on Degiro I wonder is it worth hanging on it for trusts

Back