Intention/wording of a will

pen_q1975

Registered User
Messages
13
A older friend (not tech savvy) is an executor of the will of another family member (sibling). A sum of money was left to the deceased's parish for a particular intention of the deceased (as written in his will). Parish want to use the money for other purposes alongside the original intention. They have asked about a "Deed of Family Arrangement" to do this. Probate granted, will has been or is in the process of being distributed. Is this possible? At the very least I would insist on any legal costs involved being taken care of by the "parish".

Any info/insight appreciated!
 
A. Yes its possible.
B. Should exec agree? That depends on the initial intention of the deceased & what the Parish are proposing.

If the deceased wanted a mass said for them every day for the next 30 years & the parish are saying, actually we need a new boiler, I'd argue they are two very different things.

If however, the deceased donated the money for the upkeep of the graveyard & the parish council says they need to remove two dangerous trees; my view would be they are similar enough in intent.

Ultimately the exec stands in the shoes of the deceased & they make the final decision; whilst still adhering to the will of the deceased.

Personally, I'd donate the money & leave the parish do whatever. But I'm not religious & think none of it matters a whole lot!

IANAL
 
@DannyBoyD you have hit the nail on the head there.
I would have assumed the money goes into the parish accout and they then decide on best to spend for the parish and also for the original intention of the deceased. I am not religious either! It was for the intention of masses!
So therefore why they need a Deed of Family arrangement for this is confusing.
 
Back
Top