Motor Insuring an 18 yr old car

Estelle

I am serious trouble finding insurance for my mum's car that is 18 yr old. It's in excellent condition, has not, no claims ever, my mum has never had penalty points.
Is there a reluctance by companies to insure older cars? Does anyone recommend anywhere that will insure an older car?

That has been the case for several years now, awkward-ish over 10yrs, very difficult over 15yrs. I had to get rid of my beloved 15yr old car last year as the insurance had just become ridiculous :( A brand new 172 car was cheaper to insure than it!

My husband's car is 17. We recently re-insured the car with Axa. He's had the car for the last 14 years, and is 61 with no claims or penalty points, so if your mother fits that profile she'll hopefully get sorted. The insurance was only €450 so not too bad.

I still have insurance on my old 20 year old car that unfortunately went to Car Heaven in the snow a while back.
Alwin insurance I think. Previously Patrona I think.

What is the actual.problem here?
Isnt it the driver that is insured rather than the vehicle?
Surely I am as likely to have an accident in a 2018 vehicle as I am in a 2008 or a 1998?

What is the actual.problem here?
Isnt it the driver that is insured rather than the vehicle?
Surely I am as likely to have an accident in a 2018 vehicle as I am in a 2008 or a 1998?

Yes you are... but sadly thats not true of some people out to make a quick buck and insurance companies are either unwilling or unable or unbothered enough to tell the difference.

The problem with older cars is that the insurance companies aren't making enough money from Hire Purchase or finance on these vehicles.
It's that simple.

AA and AXA quoted for my 17 year old car - but they were dearer than my current insurer. (As a public service employee, I arranged my insurance through Cornmarket)

The problem with older cars is that the insurance companies aren't making enough money from Hire Purchase or finance on these vehicles.
It's that simple.
?? You think insurance companies finance the purchase of vehicles??

?? You think insurance companies finance the purchase of vehicles??

Yes of course, one example is Bank of Ireland. They provide car finance and car insurance. But they won't insure an older car.
By refusing to insure older cars it forces people to buy newer cars making more interest on finance products.

Yes of course, one example is Bank of Ireland. They provide car finance and car insurance. But they won't insure an older car.
By refusing to insure older cars it forces people to buy newer cars making more interest on finance products.
Fake news!

Got a shock with the arrival of the renewal notice for my 18 year old car today.
A pleasant shock for once.
Just over €400 for the year.
It's very basic insurance, third party without fire and theft.
But it does cover you driving in other EU countries too if you do decide to take your car on holidays.

RichInSpirit, have you been with the same insurer since the car was 10 years old? Has anyone found an insurer who'll underwrite a new policy on a 10+ year old car?

RichInSpirit, have you been with the same insurer since the car was 10 years old? Has anyone found an insurer who'll underwrite a new policy on a 10+ year old car?
Hi, Aviva will quote for new business on cars up to 14 years old. For existing customers, it doesn't matter what age car is.
I switched to them recently with 10 year old car.

Back