Installing a stove - looking for recommendations

tomdublin

I'm thinking of buying a solid fuel burning stove to fit into my fire place and having it installed (preferably from the same supplier). Would anyone have recommendations on where to go (Dublin area)? There are quite a lot of suppliers out there but it's hard to figure out where to go based on their websites. Any tips (perhaps based on recent experience) would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

New research out shows that solid fuel burning stove are really bad for your long term health.

If you live in an area with Natural gas, it's a much cleaner option. Alternatively a straight electric heater is a good option.
Heat Pumps are only an option if you already have good insulation.

Take that study with a pinch of salt - classic opportunity for academics choosing to frame data points that support their position or thesis. A 300% increase from 1 is only 2 more, but sounds much scarier. Most houses have very low PM2.5 baselines (almost zero), so yes when you open the door of the stove some particulates may come out and could "triple" your 0.5 baseline for a few mins. Although I have an air quality monitor that among other things measures PM2.5 and it never goes up when I'm running our stove. What a stove will do is cut down 90% on what you'd get from an open fire however so well worth it.

Can't recommend a installer as there's loads, but things to look for - a known stove brand; better quality and better if ever needed to service / maintain, how they'd approach the flue in the chimney - what size and why, what sort of cowel they put on top so you dont get a noisy downdraft.

Thanks all this is very helpful. The old Bawn place seems to have good reviews so I think I will check them out (they quote 2500 for a stove including installation which seems a bit pricey but I guess it's the going rate).

Last edited:
I had a very good experience with Clifford's Fireplaces in the North Inner City - http://www.cliffordfireplaces.com/ They have a nice big showrooms with lots of stoves and fireplaces on display. They have been in businesses for 70 years and I dealt with two generations of the family. I needed additional work done including a new hearth installed and they a very neat job.

They also advised me to go for a long established brand because they pointed out a stove is a very long term fixture and you may need to source parts in a couple of decades time, so you don't want to find they have gone out of business.

I had a very good experience with Heatco in Rathfarnham, https://www.heatco.ie/, they fitted a fireplace and gas stove for me a few years ago. They had lots of solid fuel stoves too, but the gas stove is a great idea if you have a gas supply handy and want to avoid cleaning out the stove every day.

Any recommendations for multi-fuel stoves or wood pellet options in Meath?

Thanks

New research out shows that solid fuel burning stove are really bad for your long term health.
Whilst they are bad for your health we are going to get one in given the massive rise in gas prices and given that in 10 years time there might be no gas at all.

Insert stove stovax are expensive but brilliant.. Wouldn't bother with multiple fuel or back boiler

You know whats bad for your health? Oil and gas bills.
Ive had none such bills in 15 years. I have a wood burning stove, and its super efficient.
Jotul and Morso are the best. I have a Jotul, has clean burn technology, meaning only needs cleaning out once per winter.
Its all down to KW output. The bigger ones, you will be feeding them a lot.
I get my own timber supplied, cut and chop it myself.
Yes, budget 2500 for supply and installation.

Have a look around at various showrooms. Fentons in Greystones has a good selection, but are very expensive.
In Roundwood, call into the Vartry House pub. They have a medium size stove, it belts out the heat.
Yes, agree, stick to wood burning stoves.

You know whats bad for your health? Oil and gas bills.
Ive had none such bills in 15 years. I have a wood burning stove, and its super efficient.
Jotul and Morso are the best. I have a Jotul, has clean burn technology, meaning only needs cleaning out once per winter.
Its all down to KW output. The bigger ones, you will be feeding them a lot.
I get my own timber supplied, cut and chop it myself.
Yes, budget 2500 for supply and installation.
It sounds like you did your research - do you mind sharing who supplied/installed yours? By PM if you would prefer not to share here thank you

The air quality in my area (Dublin 6) is terrible on calm winter days now. Go out for a walk and you come back stinking of smoke, clothes need to be washed. It's like going back to the 80s.
While the air quality might be ok in your house, it definitely isn't outside, and I think a big chunk of that is down to the popularity of wood burning stoves these days.
It mightn't be a factor in your decision making, but I think we need to have more regulations on solid fuel stoves.

I had 2 stoves supplied and fitted by Fentons, Greystones.
Properly dried wood has gone very expensive now.
You would need to research where you are going to source supply of logs. The most common type of wood is sitka spruce.
Its not great for heat output. I reckon I generate more heat from cutting and chopping it.
I am lucky that I have my own 10 acre forest of mixed species. I have a system in place, always have wood matured and ready.

More and more research is highlighting that opening a lighting stove results in dangerous levels of indoor pollution.
Leo,
I certainly wasn't aware of this. Had a read and while it's a little scarce on actual data, its conclusions are fairly serious and especially for a certain cohort of people. I don't have a wood burning stove (non boiler) but was seriously thinking of getting one in a change from my open fireplace. Now, I just don't know, more so with the huge increased cost of seasoned timber.

I got a Henley Apollo insert stove for my open fire place and it is great.....loads of heat and very efficient.

Leo,
I certainly wasn't aware of this. Had a read and while it's a little scarce on actual data, its conclusions are fairly serious and especially for a certain cohort of people. I don't have a wood burning stove (non boiler) but was seriously thinking of getting one in a change from my open fireplace. Now, I just don't know, more so with the huge increased cost of seasoned timber.
Yeah, and I've seen other sources all starting to highlight some serious air quality concerns. We have two stoves in the house here, now rarely used.

Back