Income Protection Claim Declined After Two IMEs – POTS

BridgetMC

New Member
Messages
1
Hi Everyone please i need your help,

I’m looking for advice from anyone with experience of a declined income protection claim in Ireland.

I work in tech sales and have been off work since late 2025 with significant dizziness, palpitations, fatigue, brain fog and nausea. I was subsequently diagnosed with POTS by a neurologist.

My income protection claim was declined following an insurer-arranged independent medical assessment. I appealed and submitted all my medical reports, including a detailed report from my treating neurologist stating that I was medically unfit for my normal occupation. The insurer then arranged a second independent medical assessment, and my appeal was declined again.

Each IME was relatively short, around an hour. The main reasons given were that significant orthostatic changes were not reproduced during the assessments, other investigations were normal, and the doctors considered my occupation to be sedentary. They also relied on what they observed during the appointments and concluded there was insufficient objective medical evidence that I was unable to perform my normal occupation.

I’m now at the formal complaint stage and considering further specialist evidence and legal advice.

Has anyone successfully challenged an income protection refusal after two IMEs, particularly with POTS or another fluctuating condition?
 
Back
Top