Inchicore or Maynooth with kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moneygrower

We are expecting our first child so looking to move out of our 1bed apartment. We are wondering how far out to commute, considering Maynooth and the likes. For the same money as a three bed in Maynooth we could get a two bed in Inchicore but wondering what it would be like to raise a kid there. There's lots here about Inchicore but the only references to wee ones seems to negative, local gurriers etc.

Re: inchicore with kids?

Hi, I really can,t see what your dilemma is . Maynooth is lovely , commuting distance , Grass, not the type they might smoke in inchicore. AND better value. :)

Re: Inchicore with kids?

One major issue is schooling. Have you checked out availability in both areas? The smaller classes the better. As soon as baby is born add the name to the register where ever you move to. Some people register based on the results of scans!

Is there much to do in Maynooth? That's in Kildare, isn't it? :)

Really depends where you work. If in the city centre, Inchicore would make most sense. Remember most areas have their gurrier blackspots, but there are plently of areas in Inchicore that are nice mature settled estates.

I'm in the process of moving closer to town, just cannot take sitting in my car for 3 hours every day!!!

I agree with Squidward. A big consideration should be how much do you want to see of your child (congrats on that!). There's not much point in having a big back garden if baby is out of the house from 7am to 7pm. And Inchicore isn't far from the Phoenix Park. I would defo go location rather than size.

I'm assuming both of you are working and both in Dublin. Obviously if you're both teachers in Maynooth ignore this!

but there are plently of areas in Inchicore that are nice mature settled estates.

No there are not. Just search for "inchicore" using the search option and you'll find plenty of previous discussions about Inchicore. I think its probably ok to live in, but no way in hells bells would I raise a family there.

Have you ever lived in Inchicore SteelBlue05?

Yeah I lived on tyrconnell rd (which is the main road running through the village) for 2.5 years. I have posted my experiences on one of the other discussion threads, if you search you'll find it I'm sure.

Murders, knives, a grenade in the back garden, car vandalism, drunks, kids with hammers...etc etc all happened during my experience while living there.

Forgot to add the weekend of "fight club" when we had the joy of watching a big group of fellas fighting in the back yard of a house\office. I swear it was like Flight Club the film, the guys were just matching up and beating the crap out of each other.

Well I spent most of my childhood/teenage years in Inchicore plus go back there quiet reguarly (as a lot of friends still live there) , and would have to say that estates such as Tyrconnell Park and Bulfin would be fairly decent area's.

As someone who is happily living in inchicore and has never had so much as a smidge of trouble there - I would recommend it - I dont know about schools but if they were a concern you are close enough to town to send them to schools in there - loreto, belvedere etc..
As the other poster says it all depends how much you want to see your kids- and how much of a commute you can take before you have a nervous breakdown. We have virtually no commute and spend the summers in the phoenix park..our neighbours are all lovely and there is a real community spirit. Kilmainham museum of modern art is a 5 min walk and collins barracks is a short trip on the luas. Am sure you would have a bigger house in Maynooth but I suppose if you dont see the inside of it very much, whats the point?

As someone who is happily living in inchicore and has never had so much as a smidge of trouble there - I would recommend it -

Have you seen trouble or heard of it? Would you honestly say its a nice safe area?

I know the Phoenix Park and Kilmainham are nice or whatever but thats not Inchicore is it?

The way some of you's are going, one would think that Maynooth was in the middle of Galway!! It's not a bad commute plus the transport services are pretty good. I still manage to have a family and social life and Im live there. I would recomend living there but if you think you're standard of living would be better in Inchicore then buy there. It personally wouldn't be my cup of tea but that's just me

Thanks for the feedback. Kerbs, I'm interested in your point of view, do you have kids yourself? I know lots of single people and couples are happy to live there and I can see why but I want someone to stand up and say they are happy to raise their kids there! Loreto and Belvedere are a very expensive option, I was hoping to avoid private schools, I had the pleasure myself but not sure they're worth it. Anyhow my poor kid would feel like a right pauper when his/her mates live in more desirable areas and I would like them to go to school with children from their neighbourhood.
I don't know about the schools in Maynooth or Inchicore, don't know where you get such info.
I guess it's a choice of middleclass area or no commute.

Are you sure this wasn't a dream

Nope, afraid not....

1) Murders - 4 of them in Inchicore while I was living there, mostly shootings in the local pubs

2) Knives - no one injured, just some knacker pulled out a bread knife on the 51b bus to threaten some other guy

3) Grenade in back garden - Bomb squad and gardai knock on the front door one saturday morning to say they got an anonymous call that someone had left a grenade in our back garden. They came in and took it away, I think it was an old one than someone wanted to get rid of. One of the reasons I wouldn't raise a family in Inchicore.

sweet This post will be deleted if not edited immediately, I think that's answered my question!

Inchicore with kids?

There has been massive development of apartments in Inchicore over the past 15 years on top of an already-vast estate of generally small, closely-packed ex-corporation-houses (the "old Inchicore") with an occasional street of small Victorian red-brick terraced. As with any densely-populated area there are tensions!

It is stretching credibility to describe Inchicore as close to the Phoenix Park apart perhaps from the major road between The Black Lion and Kilmainham which would be problematic for a young family on account of the traffic-volumes.

don't know where you get such info.

Get the name of one primary school, speak to the Principal or school secretary and see if they or the local schools have large classes and how hard is it to get a child into their school. Are the numbers rising very quickly and would they have any idea if this situation will change in the next few years. Any time I was making enquiries for my two the school secretaries were usually able to help.

I only mention this because some friends have told me about relatives/friends moving to towns outside Dublin and they were not able to get their children into the local schools. They then had to spend a lot of time ferrying the kids back and forth.

I was hoping to avoid private schools,

Do you have girls? If so maybe you should consider the Northside. 3 of the top 25 college-referring schools are in Dublin 9 and 5. And they are all non-fee-paying. (Manor House, Holy Faith Clontarf, Maryfield). The situation for boys is not so positive unfortunately.

my poor kid would feel like a right pauper when his/her mates live in more desirable areas and I would like them to go to school with children from their neighbourhood.

Ditto, although if your kids have good self-esteem this is unlikely to be an issue in my experience.

I guess it's a choice of middleclass area or no commute.

Hmm. I would consider almost every Dublin postal district to have a very sizeable middle-class population, if this is important to you.

Who wants to be surrounded by the middle class exclusively? Not me.

Honestly, I understand the concern about choosing a good school area to live, but I think many Dubliners are overly dismissive of the non fee-paying options open to them. And if there is a desire to send children to "middle class schools" (whatever that means) that leads to the ghettoisation of ordinary decent local schools.

Having made the choice to live in what 10 years ago a lot of people considered a "marginal" area, and further having chosen to send our kids to the local "borderline deprived" school, I have to say our kids have thrived and have a bit of experience of the whole spectrum of humanity as a result.

This, in my view, has to be a good thing.

I've nothing against Maynooth - but if the choice was Inchicore or Maynooth, I would live in Inchicore, especially if I worked in the city centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back