Inchicore or Maynooth with kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.
tell us more about the St. Micheal estate, where exactly is it and whats the major problem?

Its only a small place, hardly noticable, nothing like the sheer scale of Ballymun, which this article compares it to.
http://www.indymedia.ie/article/66997

Its opposite the St Pat football grounds, on Emmet Road, as you head to Kilmainham, and then bound on the other side by the canal.

That link is hardly helpful is it? In the last month or two there have been shootings in Rathfarnham, Swords and Crumlin to name a few areas. Anyone can point to crime in almost ANY area of Dublin. You have a real issue with Inchicore as far as I can see.

As far as I'm concerned, Inchicore is on the up and has been for many years. Personally I think anyone who lives in one county and works in another is mad but that's just me. All I can say is you won't go far wrong buying a house in the area and there is a genuine sense of community there.

That link is hardly helpful is it? In the last month or two there have been shootings in Rathfarnham, Swords and Crumlin to name a few areas. Anyone can point to crime in almost ANY area of Dublin. You have a real issue with Inchicore as.

No, just making sure people know all the real issues, no point hiding them under the carpet. Its not the single crime that can be singled out in Inchicore, its just a dodgy area in general. My point is I wouldn't raise a family there, thats the OP's question. The fact that there was a murder there a few weeks ago, and 4 of them while I lived there is important information I think. That information, and the link, is helpful.

All I can say is you won't go far wrong buying a house in the area and there is a genuine sense of community there.

You could say the same about almost ANY area in Dublin. So theres more negatives than positives?

I find you quite tiresome I have to say. You constantly knock the area. Fair enough. That's YOUR opinion.

I'm giving MY opinion which is equally valid. Post all the lurid crap you want - fact is I've lived in the area for a long time and I have never once experienced any trouble. That's a fact. Like it or lump it.

I find you quite tiresome I have to say. You constantly knock the area. Fair enough. That's YOUR opinion.

I'm giving MY opinion which is equally valid. Post all the lurid crap you want - fact is I've lived in the area for a long time and I have never once experienced any trouble. That's a fact. Like it or lump it.

Its irrelevant how you feel about me. Although its common for people to go down that route when they either dont want to argue out a point or dont think they can. I am not interested in being personal.

Anyways, likewise I lived in the area for 2.5 years and experienced lots of trouble. I dont have anything against Inchicore, just because my opinion is different doesnt mean I do.

Absolute tosh. I've posted a number of times giving my reasons as to why the o/p should consider the area only to be met by the "inchicore is akin to dodge city" type bleatings from you.

I'd be interested to hear where you live yourself, naturally I presume you bought in an ivory tower where crime doesn't occour.

Absolute tosh. I've posted a number of times giving my reasons as to why the o/p should consider the area only to be met by the "inchicore is akin to dodge city" type bleatings from you.

What are your points, from your postings I think they are....

1: house has quadrupled in value in that time
2: Phoenix Park and the Royal Hospital on our doorstep
3: right beside the largest park in Europe and there is a small park next to the Medical Centre
4: Inchicore is on the up and has been for many years
5: is a genuine sense of community there

I mean your last 2 points are very vague and subjective and can be applicable to any area in Dublin really. Point 1 is great, but how many houses havn't increased by a huge amount in 7 years? And the second two are about places that are not even in Inchicore.

I've stated the reasons why I dont think Inchicore is a place to raise a family.

I think your attitude is influenced by the fact that you live in Inchicore, so you are not going to say anything negative.

Can you honestly say its a nice and safe place to live?

And where I live is irrelevant to the arguement.

If I may throw my two cents into the hat,

Having had some personal level of involvement with Inchicore over the last 27 years (and my family for the last 65 or so) I have to honestly say that the area is definately, to use the phrase, coming up in the world. My family are originally from the area, my dad moved out as an adult but my grandparents remained there, I have recently moved back into the area. There are so many pluses, there is a genuine community there, very good public transport systems (LUAS & Bus), close to town, close to the M50, a good housing stock (well built former council houses and fine victorian red-bricks) amenities in the village are good and to date we've had no bad experiences. To balance the arguement I fully accept that there is an element to Inchicore, however while the odd incident may happen - the general philosophy of they won't bother you if you don't bother them is very true. There is a pattern to the type of incidents that make the news - they're all personal, not random be it drugs, gangs, money etc - people are not getting shot randomly in the street anywhere in Dublin!

All I can say is visit the area, scope out the neighbours, try and go for a settled part of Inchicore such as the Tyrconnell Road area and walk around, balance this against your commute time, schools, proximity to friends and family and do the same exercise for Maynooth. From a financial perspective I certainly think that Inchicore offers some fime victorian house at a fraction of the price of areas such as Ranelagh.

Always judge for yourself, there are bad parts to Maynooth too, as there are in Blackrock or Donnybrook believe it or not.

SteelBlue

1. No you cannot say that houses quadruple in value in all parts of Dublin. I doubt you'll find many houses in the outlying estates of west Dublin for example that have done so. If you can find one I'll happily eat my words but you won't.

It's not a boast by the way, it's a fact. You seem to have trouble assimilating facts. I bought in 1999. Now I'm looking around to buy a larger house for my growing family. We will be able to do so thanks to our purchase years ago in Inchicore.

2. To be completely pedantic, no the Phoenix Park and the Royal Hospital are not strictly in Inchicore. However they are 20 and 5 mins walk respectively from my hall door. Call me deranged, but I regard that as being an amenity in my locality.

3. I have no ties to Inchicore, I wasn't raised there, I have no family or relatives living there. I have no reason to talk the area up only the fact that I've spent a happy 7 years there. If I thought it was awful, I'd say it. But I don't.

4. Yes I do think it's a nice and safe area to live.

5. Again, still interested to know whereabouts you live so we can all nod sagely and pat you on the back at your wise "nice, safe" purchase.

That's all I have to say. MG01 makes very good points. Try taking the blinkers off. The world is a lot less black and white than you make out.

SteelBlue

1. No you cannot say that houses quadruple in value in all parts of Dublin. I doubt you'll find many houses in the outlying estates of west Dublin for example that have done so. If you can find one I'll happily eat my words but you won't.

It's not a boast by the way, it's a fact. You seem to have trouble assimilating facts. I bought in 1999. Now I'm looking around to buy a larger house for my growing family. We will be able to do so thanks to our purchase years ago in Inchicore.

Well I know someone who bought a 3 bed semi in Lucan for 80,000 pounds in 1999 and sold it for 300,000 euro in 2005 and its now valued at 395,000 in 2006. Thats a quadruple in value. And probably the same for most "west dublin" estates for the period. "Fact" as you say.

And what do you mean by "You seem to have trouble assimilating facts.", everything I have said is factual.

You are extremely defensive, I am only arguing points with you. Dont make it personal.

"Well I know someone who bought a 3 bed semi in Lucan for 80,000 pounds in 1999 and sold it for 300,000 euro in 2005 and its not valued at 395,000 in 2006"

Read over that garbled statement again. It doesn't make sense. Quite apart from the fact "Lucan" and "houses rising in value" just doesn't happen. Fact.

I'm not in the slightest defensive. I'm just not permitting you to make wide, sweeping, inaccurate statements about where I live. And every time you do it, I'lll be here to set the record straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back