Importing cars from UK- merits and pitfalls

It is much cheaper to buy in UK but there is a high risk of the milage being
clocked even with a full check and service history.Many cars are company cars and England is full of expert milage wizards.

clocked even with a full check and service history.Many cars are company cars and England is full of expert milage wizards.

Are you in the motor trade here by any chance?The implication of what you say is that the risk of getting a clocked car in the UK is higher. I'd argue that the risk is lower than here: the safeguards in the UK aren't great, but they're better than the non-existant ones here.

No different to the local market then :D

If you have FSH and HPI check done you'll be fine. HPI offer a STG£10000 guarantee against innacurate or incomplete information, leading to a financial loss.

You won't get that from Cartell or any SIMI member.

I have brought a car over about six months ago, saved a few euro. The question i have is, If i buy a van in the UK do I have to pay UK vat?

Thanks

Are you in the motor trade here by any chance?The implication of what you say is that the risk of getting a clocked car in the UK is higher. I'd argue that the risk is lower than here: the safeguards in the UK aren't great, but they're better than the non-existant ones here.
NO !

But the risk of the milage being clocked on a car imported from England by a trader in Ireland (not a main dealer) is higher.

NO !

But the risk of the milage being clocked on a car imported from England by a trader in Ireland (not a main dealer) is higher.

Why? Anyway your original point was that cars bought in the UK were more likely to be clocked than Irish cars. Neither argument appears to have any merit.

NO !

As I earlier said a HPI check will give you a warranteed accurate mileage reading. Do it and there is no doubt.

I think the case appears to be proven: do your research, carry out the proper checks (HPI etc) and importing a used car from Britain makes good financial sense! Thanks for all the feedback.

One thing to watch out for though.....

Usually you are importing a car because you want something specific.
Having done it only recently I have found that you need to set yourself rules before you go as once you see a car and really like it, it's easier to start overlooking 'small' things that you might not deem OK for normally just to get the motor that fits your needs/wants.

You need to be hard, and be preared to walk away if the checks dont give you 100% confidence, however hard that may be.....it will be worth it when you do find what you want!

I know the audi main deal in mayo wont service or take trade in of imported cars. They recon that the risk is to high for them if they go to carry out a small job and it turns out to be a somebody else's nightmare.First thing they will ask you for is the Reg to see if it is an Irish car.....You could be limited to selling private in the future.

..You could be limited to selling private in the future.

Several main BMW dealers were more than happy to take my MINI Cooper S as a trade in recently. I imported it from the UK but they had access to all its details on their computer system, all service records, additional equipment etc. Got a better price selling privately though, but thats always the case regardless of where the car originated.

I wonder if that was the reason I got such a crappy trade-in value price when I tried to trade in my A4 there recently.

Is there anywhere that son't need 3 days to comeback to you with a price for trade-in? I presume they do a full check or whatever before commiting.

Other thing is that private sale of cars over say 25k can be slim on the ground. Again this is one more thing to consider before you take the import plunge.

I assume it is not in audi ireland's own interest to have people bringing in cars from the UK.

You may get some main dealers who behave like this, but if you stick to cars with full service histories from the UK (so they can stand over them) most realise that there's demand for them (due to better spec and general better condition than locally supplied cars) and will act accordingly.

I've traded in UK cars I brought in to main dealers on two occasions: it was never raised as an issue.

Having said that I'm sure it might be different with a UK car bought privately that had no service history when it comes to trading it in.

If I was to buy a Vauxhall Astra say 6 months old would Opel cover the warranty over here?

Be careful. The revenue will charge will deem all vehicles under 6 months old or under 6000kms as new vehicles, and will charge you an additional 21%VAT, even if you have an invoice proving VAT was paid in the country you bought it. There is no way around this.

HPI is a check done by a company in the UK that has access to UK vehicle records. They can tell if its been stolen, crashed, finance owing on it and previous owner history among other things. It can be done online for a small fee(I think it around £20). FSH stands for Full Service History. Main dealer history supposedly better than independent garages.

With the VRT changes coming in this July, would I be better buying a petrol 04 BMW 318 now or after July?

Presume it would make more sense to buy now (as VRT will be on engine size rather than ommissions) but just want some confirmation.

Thanks...

I'm thinking of going over for a car myself. Looking for a diesel so going to wait untill after July.
What put me off doing it before this time was that I've had cars to trade in. My local dealer told me he didn;t want my own car in a trade in. He told me that anything I would be getting from another dealer with be no more than the discount than I could get for paying cash.

Anyone got any sugestions as to what makes / models represent the best value vs Irish prices. I am ideally hoping to get something that will be in the €150 tax bracket!

Hi,

Was looking at this as well.
The Irish independent has a good guide on new vehicles.

However, the new VRT will also apply for used imported after 01/07/2008 according to the paper.

[broken link removed]
Hope this link works. Appears link of main page is now gone.

Should show us the bands applicable.
Can end up paying a lot more if your car will have high emissions or lower if lower emissions.

Back