Importing cars from UK- merits and pitfalls

Carpenter

A friend of mine just recently brought over a high spec luxury car from the UK which appears to have been a real bargain. It was a fleet car, high mileage but with full dealer service history and apparently well looked after. It's a diesel, 2.5l, so a little expensive in terms of tax etc but my friend appears to have got some real value for money. We reckon he saved maybe €10k on a similar car here. I know this has been discussed already in other threads in relation to specific models but I just want to know what other AAMers think? Is it a good route to go (if you do your homework, check out history, outstanding finance etc) and accept that there is some risk inherent? Also does it really only make sense to go this route if you're looking at larger, high end vehicles? I just wonder why more people don't do this; my friend made it look so easy and now he's driving a very smart motor???

It's possible to save thousands of Euro doing this. I'd stay under 2 litre capacity to save VRT and with an eye to resale too.

The downside is an element of risk. I'd always insist on full inspection, HPI, and fsh.

Did it myself, saved a nice few k and highest spec of car around.

How did you identify the garage you were going to buy from? Cargiant? franchised dealer? surely with either of these everything should be kosher, or ma I just being naive?

I'm not sure I'd agree with the "risk" perception - if fact, I'd argue that if you stick to some basic rules, the risk in buying in the UK is actually lower than here. The very fact that they have a comprehensive service like HPI that can be used to check cars is a huge benefit.

Biggest benefits:

- lower overall price (though once travel and other expenses taken into account, not as high as some claim)
- absolutely massive choice: the Internet has greatly helped here. You can pretty much find the exact spec you want
- better cars: cars in UK tend to have higher basic specs (e.g. A/C) and they are better looked after (main dealer FSH much more common)
- lower risk: HPI checks avalable

Biggest drawbacks:

- no trade-ins (this is probably the biggest)
- effectively no warrenty, if the car is outside its original manufacturer's warrenty.
- time and effort required to do the job

Manufacturer's warrenties tend to be longer there (typically three years), and this will be honoured (possibly reluctantly) anywhere in Europe.

If you want to save the ultimate amount, you can buy privately or at auction in the UK, but the risk there is very large.

I've done this three times now, buying tiwce from a main dealer (with fewer savings) and once privately.

Best way of looking I've found is www.autotrader.co.uk or each manufacturer's approved used cars (e.g. [broken link removed] for BMW). Some large "car supermarkets" are also good places to look.

I bought one car privately in the UK when living in Ireland. Agreeing with above I'd note:

It is reasonably hassle free - I flew over early one Saturday morning jumped on a train, met the vendor at the train station and I then drove to Holyhead and I got the fast ferry back that evening - was back in Dublin at 9.30 with car.

Even buying privately it is reasonably low risk provided you get HPI check and if the car has a fully documented service history ie all receipts.

I ended up getting a car almost impossible to source in Ireland. More generally you get a much better spec there, car more likely to have a FSH.

It is worth looking at the revenue website - sometimes they underestimate the value of a car in Ireland and bigger saving can be had. Obviously only useful if you want that particular car.

I agree its the way to go if you follow some rules and do your homework properly. Its' great all these stories are positive but has anyone got any negative stories about buying a car in the uk ?

I've no direct experience but have heard horror stories about clocked and ringed cars.

HPI is absolutely essential.

It's a check on the vehicle to see if there's any outstanding finance and basically confirms if the vendor is the legal owner AFAIK.

See

It's a way of getting info on whether a UK car as been written off, has finance outstanding on it, stolen, and other info that's useful when purchasing. Anyone can use it - see the Web site - for a fee.

Note that many main dealer's "approved used cars" will include an HPI check as part of the package, which will save you the cost of getting it done: if this is claimed, ask to see it.

It also tells you who owned it, previous owners, if the number plates were ever changed, what they were changed to.
If car was ever noted by police, if the car was ever noted by insurance companies.
My motors HPI told me when the car went to auction also.

If I was to buy a Vauxhall Astra say 6 months old would Opel cover the warranty over here?

i have bought 2 now in the uk, once even off ebay!

way better than buying in ireland, a uk car with 90K is still in better condition than a lot for irish cars with 40 k on clock

I know of a chap who can get HPI's done at rather attractive prices.

I also bought in the UK. I also have to agree with RS2K and ANG1170, it is essential that youu pay for the HPI check on the car before you leave the Irish shores. Use the internet, research your car, model etc. locate the one you want (either private or trade), contact the seller and arrange a time and date for the viewing of the car. Beware of private sellers that say they will hold the car for you. Don't book any flights until you are confident that the seller and car will be there to meet you. (one seller txted me to say that he took a price on the car the previous evening of the day I was booking the flight). So book the flight near to the day of your travel.
A full dealer service history is a must!! No acceptions. Armed with a good HPI check, full service history and satisfactory VRT price, you would be mad to buy from a derler in Eire.

I recently bought from the UK and I used the Yahoo car finder service http://cars.yahoo.co.uk/. I got the the AA/Dekra to do a full inspection before I put down a deposit. It was £190 but worth it for the peace of mind.

I found because my car was registered in December it was nearly €1000 cheaper on VRT than if it had been January. It will be worth less for resale in Ireland but as I plan on keeping the car for a long time this will become insignificant.

Don't book any flights until you are confident that the seller and car will be there to meet you. (one seller txted me to say that he took a price on the car the previous evening of the day I was booking the flight). So book the flight near to the day of your travel.
A full dealer service history is a must!! No acceptions. Armed with a good HPI check, full service history and satisfactory VRT price, you would be mad to buy from a derler in Eire.

Unless the car you're after is extremely rare and unusual, I'd recommend having a short-list or two or three to view. That way, if the 1st doesn't check out for whatever reason (and I think anyone is entitled to sell it before you see it if you've no deposit down, or maybe you just don't like it when you see it in the flesh), you have a couple of fall backs to see. That way, there's no wasted trip.

Back