Importing cars from UK- merits and pitfalls

I know the audi main deal in mayo wont service or take trade in of imported cars.
I had this problem as well although the car I bought was imported from Singapore. A bit annoying as the Chassis Number, Parts etc. are all the same as any European car. Obviously just slapping my wrist for buying outside their cartel

They recon that the risk is to high for them if they go to carry out a small job and it turns out to be a somebody else's nightmare.
Can't see how this makes sense. If they find a nightmare they will charge you for it.

Glad to see that many dealers are now accepting UK cars as legit now though

Just spotted something that I'm curious about

Looking at buying a 2nd hand 1.5 diesel Qashqai. I'll probably import it from the UK in July. The Nissan web site (irish) and the Indo supplement last week listed this as 145 emmissions. However if I look it up on [broken link removed] it shows as 139. This would have the effect of dropping the VRT from 20% to 16% and reducing the tax from 290 to 150 a year.
The car specs, finish and models are slightly different between here and the UK but I wasn't the engines to be different.
I suppose the most important question is which rating will be recognised by revenue in July ?

Whatever is documented on the UK reg cert for the actual car should be whats used. Parkers.co.uk lists all 1.5 dCi engines as 145, as does honestjohn.co.uk, so I'd say the 145 figure is correct. That said I'd chance it and bring along the SEI info.

Hi all,
just about to buy a car in UK myself and have a small conundrum - everything appears to check out - HPI is 100% clean and full AA check was almost 100% apart from uncovering that one panel on the car has had previous repairs "The left rear wing has a greater depth paint and suggests that past repairs have taken place and as visible is considered to be satisfactory.
The extent or nature of any past repairs is unknown and cannot be commented upon. "

Otherwise, the car appears to have no other flaws - its a December 06 and has almost 2 years warranty left.

Anybody got any suggestions?
Dr Nick
PS thanks for all the good advice in this post - I would also recommend the AA check. It is very thorough and the report you get runs to 8 pages.

Go ahead. That's a very minor issue. You could use it to negotiate a discount maybe?

I'd press ahead if that were the only issue. AA are expensive but very detailed. A repainted single panel wouldn't bother me in the slightest: could be anything: keying, shopping trolley collision etc. etc.

Clean HPI, AA and 2 years oustanding manufacturer's warrenty: you really can't ask for more. If you like the car and think it's the right price, buy and enjoy!

Once you have bought a car in the UK do you need to do anything about its UK registration or can you just drive it to Ireland and just worry about reg/tax/nct there? If so, are the steps below accurate then:

Day 1: buy car in UK, commence insurance, drive home to Ireland
Day 2: register car in Ireland, pay VRT
ASAP (but not necessary on Day 2): pay road tax, get NCT done

just brought in honda s2000 from uk last yr...1 owner from new 60000miles,,02 1500euro n 6 to change over..21 grand spottless n all extras...saved nearly 5 grand by getting it over there!! only place to get the motor u want !!

Just spotted something that I'm curious about

Looking at buying a 2nd hand 1.5 diesel Qashqai. I'll probably import it from the UK in July. The Nissan web site (irish) and the Indo supplement last week listed this as 145 emmissions. However if I look it up on [broken link removed] it shows as 139. This would have the effect of dropping the VRT from 20% to 16% and reducing the tax from 290 to 150 a year.
The car specs, finish and models are slightly different between here and the UK but I wasn't the engines to be different.
I suppose the most important question is which rating will be recognised by revenue in July ?

Check this site
http://www.mtp.ie/

Just wondering if the book value on cars that revenue use on importing cars will decrease when the new VRT rules are introducded.

When getting an AA inspection done, does the car have to be driven to an AA garage or does the AA come to the dealership to carry out the tests?

Just wondering if the book value on cars that revenue use on importing cars will decrease when the new VRT rules are introducded.

That will be a really interesting one to watch, OK.

They'll either ignore the change completely, and continue to value cars at what they think (which believe me is NOT the open market selling price), or be forced to acknowledge that raising taxes has a seriously negative effect on the level of business (and potentially negative affect on the actual revenue received).

Thanks Niallers and RS2K - I spoke to the AA chap the next day, and he confirmed that the respray was such high quality that it probably was done in the factory. It could not be visibly detected, only with electronic paint depth measurement. I tried to use the report to knock a few more quid off the price, but the garage would not budge an inch - this was probably a good sign. Having already knocked them down £750 I decided to go ahead.

Everything went very smoothly and I was very impressed with the car and the dealer - great service and the car was indistinguishable from new, absolutely mint condition. I'd recommend the AA report, especially for a more expensive car - it was very thorough and you can walk through the details over the phone with the person who carried out the inspection.

Would you believe that the dealership phoned me a few days later to check I got home ok and that everything was ok with the car? I have never heard of that happening in Ireland....

Dr Nick

Hi, If you don't mind what is the name of the dealer you purchased from?

Thanks

Back