Immigrants to fill 400,000 Jobs

S

stipie74

I am new to this site and was wondering what people thought about the headline article in this morning's Indo...
[link=http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1211448&issue_id=11107 newwindow]Headline of the Indo[/link]

Hopefully the government can form some sort of proper immigration policy that will allow cultural integration and I don't just mean Eastern European, I also mean an African influence. Maybe the Government might educate the Muppets who believe that because someone is from a different country, they are automatically a sponger living off the State.

One last thought... I did not see Mr. Muppet mc Muppet McDowell rushing to 'plug the hole' in the Constitution that allows a American to claim Irish Grandparents and automatically gain Citizenship. Maybe it was because it a 'white plug hole' and not a 'black one'

The problem as I see it is there are still a lot of people in Ireland who see immigrants in this country as a plague in our society. Its evident everywhere-on the street, in the pub or local supermarket, even in the workplace. I regularly have to endure the "arguments" of mindless individuals which consist of derogatory remarks and resentment towards immigrants in this country. There are even members of this forum who constantly attempt to ruin good threads with their bigotry.

I just hope that the forementioned article helps people to finally come to terms with the fact that Ireland is becoming more and more a multicultural society.

A couple of questions:

Does anybody know if the report is available (preferably online)? I tried the DETE website (and elsewhere) and it doesn't seem to be there even though the press release is...

Does the report specifically mention this figure of 400,000 (new?) jobs over five years?

Does the report estimate how many of these new jobs will be filled by immigrants?

> I don't just mean Eastern European, I also mean an African influence.

Don't forget that the vast majority of immigrants come here from EU and EEA regions.

Why is it that it is assumed that immigration is a "good thing"? I think the anti-immigration side of the issue have a lot of problems with being associated with mindless racists granted, but there are at least an equal volume of mindless pro-immigration proponents. I'm so weary of seeing the knee-jerk "racist" response to anyone that has a negative comment to make on immigration.

Re: .

I think anyone should be given the chance to come here and earn a living. I think most would agree with that. It is handouts that people are against, but this isn't specifically a race issue.

> I'm so weary of seeing the knee-jerk "racist" response to anyone that has a negative comment to make on immigration.

Er, who (other than you) ever mentioned racism during this discussion...? :rolleyes

Re: .

Why is it that it is assumed that immigration is a "good thing"?

And equally

Why is it that it is assumed that continued expansion of industrial economic activity is a "good thing"?

tam

Er, who (other than you) ever mentioned racism during this discussion...?

Er, the first two posts are riddles with inferences of racism.

Maybe it was because it a 'white plug hole' and not a 'black one'

there are still a lot of people in Ireland who see immigrants in this country as a plague in our society

Or maybe you are of the Bush school of semantics that the word "racism" has to be used for racism to have been brought up?

Er.

tam

> Or maybe you are of the Bush school of semantics that the word "racism" has to be used for racism to have been brought up?

No. I just don't automatically knee-jerk assume that race is necessarily an issue when terms like "cultural integration" and "immigration" are mentioned as explained in more detail here:

tam

No. I just don't automatically knee-jerk assume that race is necessarily an issue when terms like "cultural integration" and "immigration" are mentioned

This is just plain silly. I provided you quotes from the first two posts on THIS thread. These posts are not about immigration of first world whites from Sweden and Canada for crying out loud. Who EVER talks about "cultural integration" of first world whites into society?

tam

> This is just plain silly.

You're entitled to your opinion but I disagree.

> Who EVER talks about "cultural integration" of first world whites into society?

What about such immigrants whose first language, customs, diet, rituals, religious beliefs/ethos, societal norms etc. are not those that prevail in the host country?

tam

OK, but I really think we are trying to ignore the elephant in the corner here. Surely those "whose first language, customs, diet, rituals, religious beliefs/ethos, societal norms etc. are not those that prevail in the host country" would be usually identified in racial terms? I'm not even sure what you are contending anymore to be honest.

tam

> Surely those "whose first language, customs, diet, rituals, religious beliefs/ethos, societal norms etc. are not those that prevail in the host country" would be usually identified in racial terms?

Maybe an example would make it simpler for you. My wife currently works with a bloke from Turkey who might fit the sort of categorisation that I'm referring to. Race is not an issue in this case but the other stuff I mentioned above is.

> I'm not even sure what you are contending anymore to be honest.

Same simple point as I made in the other topic - race is not necessarily relevant when it comes to issues of immigration and race is not necessarily synonymous with nationality, ethnicity etc. This is not semantics. It is an important distinction to note and understand in order not to fall into the trap of miscategorisation of issues.

Ahead of the Curve: Ireland's place in the global economy

Does anybody know if the report is available (preferably online)? I tried the DETE website (and elsewhere) and it doesn't seem to be there even though the press release is...
[broken link removed]

Ahead of the Curve: Ireland's place in the global economy

Thanks cobalt.

Going back to the original post I've finally found the relevant section from the report in case anybody was still interested:

Targeted Skilled Immigration Policy

As set out in Chapter 2, approximately 420,000 new workers will be required over the period 2001-2010. As available domestic sources are diminishing, Ireland will need to attract a considerable number of highly skilled immigrants. The enlargement of the EU should allow for most of Ireland’s immigration needs to be filled from within the EU. However it is likely that the demand for particular skills, for example, research skills, will not be fully satisfied by migration from within the EU. The demographic profile of most EU countries shows an even more acute shortage of young people entering the higher education system and almost all developed economies are actively seeking highly skilled immigrants. In trying to attract knowledge workers, we face intense competition from advanced economies, including other EU countries and the US. To succeed in this, Ireland will have to be seen as an attractive place to live and work, with a welcoming attitude to immigrants and a vibrant, diverse cultural life. For these reasons, there is a need for a planned, coherent immigration policy that is carefully managed and regulated and is consistent with the skills requirements of the economy.

Maybe an example would make it simpler for you. My wife currently works with a bloke from Turkey who might fit the sort of categorisation that I'm referring to. Race is not an issue in this case but the other stuff I mentioned above is.

Right. So you've found a man from Turkey who is not a Turk. So he's a Kurd then I presume? Otherwise he is of some statistically insignificant fraction of the population of Turkey and his existence as an immigrant from Turkey is anomalous. I still don't know what you are trying to say otherwise.

Oh, and thanks for the effort but don't bother trying to make it simple for me, just figure out what you are talking about.

Back