Im in the Public Service. Do I have to work overtime if asked?

Scubachick

Does anyone know if I have to work overtime if I am asked (assuming I am under my 48 hours for that week)? I am public service.

I thought that you could be asked, but it is up to the employee to volunteer to do overtime.

However, I cant find the related circular that covers this - only the circular that outline the rates should you do overtime.

[broken link removed]

I have also checked on www.citizensinformation.ie to no avail.

Thanks in advance

Re: Do I HAVE to work overtime if asked?

Unless it is written into your contract, you do not have to do overtime

not unless its in your contract, although if you are in a management role it will be expected

lucky you to have a job that gets you overtime -----take it while its going is my advice

lucky you to have a job that gets you overtime -----take it while its going is my advice

Not everyone can do overtime. Might have to look after someone else, kids, parent etc. Lots of reasons.

I was once in that situation and made a fuss about it in front of the other workers.
It is important how you handle this.
Get a sheet of paper and write down your objections, health family outside commitments etc that prevent you from doing the OT.
It could be a difficult traffic situation, difficult home, a demanding spouse or senior family member etc.
Get it all down on paper and make your case quietly in the office with your boss in private.
Many companies have work/life balance programs and health promotion programs and also the legal restrictions which are in place on overtime and hours worked. Get the HR department or your union to help you in your case.
You may have to commit to a certain level of overtime in the short term but they should have a plan in place to rectify the cause of the overtime and an agreed deadline for its implementation.
Be civil at all tjmes, be firm at all times and offer a small amount of Ot at odd times so as to come acros as reasonable, a blanket refusal to do overtime at all will come across as unreasonable.
When doing the overtime work only at the standard rate or speed in order to avoid disciplinary action for slowness.
They will soon get the message and shift their attention to softer targets and easier people to force into overtime.
If you are too much trouble to manage they will get somone else to do the OT but bear in mind that it may be difficult to get overtime if cash becomes scarce and needed for something in the future.
You will have marked yourself down as someone who does the standard hours only but that is fine so long as you do a good job in those standard hours.

They will soon get the message and shift their attention to softer targets and easier people to force into overtime.

This sounds very much to me like your saying it is correct to pick on the weaker people in work. Be really awkward about it and you will get away free. I would really not like to work in this type of atmosphere. Just my opinion

I really can't believe that someone in today's work climate would have an issue work OT.Remember what goes round come's around. But unless stated in your contract you may have a case not to be forced to do extra hour's at 1.5-2 times your hourly rate.

This sounds very much to me like your saying it is correct to pick on the weaker people in work. Be really awkward about it and you will get away free. I would really not like to work in this type of atmosphere. Just my opinion

I agree. Sounds like a pretty ruthless attitude to me.

Some people are less able to work OT than others, because of other commitments. Other people have no such commitments. Trying to vilify people because of this is very disingenuous. Thats bullying itself.

Some people are less able to work OT than others, because of other commitments. Other people have no such commitments. Trying to vilify people because of this is very disingenuous. Thats bullying itself.

I agree Albacore that some people can find it very difficult to find time to work extra hours however still feel that this comment above is one of the worst attitudes for someone to have in a job. Pick on someone weaker basically,mabey I have read out of context though.

Yes I agree Yorrick

You need to get over yourselves. Its how the world works. Private/public it makes no difference.

Does anyone know if I have to work overtime if I am asked . .
I don't believe so, unless it's explicit in your public service contract, and I'd be surprised if it was. If it were me then I'd agree on occasion, if it suited me, to show some flexibility . . but if you can't, due to other commitments, then you can't. I would simply say 'I would but unfortunately I'm not in a position to', that's it, no detailed reason, it's not their business. You need to manage their expectations that you won't be pressured into it. My outlook is work to live rather than live to work.

Thanks for all the help.

The reason I ask is because I am being told that I have to do a full days training (8 hours) and then and then drive home the 3 hours afterwards rather than stay overnight. The organisation said they wont pay for an overnight and are insisting that I travel as overtime.

I know I am lucky to have a job and lucky to have training provided. However, I have two kids and nobody to mind them when I travel as we are newly moved to my area. I need to bring the kids and if I dont stay overnight I will need to travel from about 5:30 pm with them, which means that they will fall asleep in the car and be up all night! I know that the organisation doesnt care about family circumstances - I have been told that its my own business and no allowance will be made for me. But am I obliged to work this overtime?

but how can you travel and do the course with your kids?

I think that you are fortunate to even be offered overtime

I work mon-fri but spent a weekend In January doing a course and there is no question of overtime and/or time off in lieu

This isn't an overtime issue. It is about the obligation to go on training.

Does this kind of thing happen regularly, or is it a once-off? Is there any mention of requirements to travel in your contract?

If it is just a once-off, you might be as well finding a way to make it happen. Get support from family or friends to mind the kids for that evening.

I'm private sector. Overtime is non negotiable, unpaid and a given for several months of the year. I'm pretty sure I'm getting a pay cut but I'm not sure I'll have a job at Christmas.

Can we swap?

A friend of mine works in a small company hours 9-5. His boss regularly expects staff to stay back late to work and hates staff leaving at 5. They never get paid for any extra time worked. He said the most annoying thing is that the staff are there all day working but the boss comes in at 4.30 and starts getting the staff to do stuff so they can't leave on time. Should they be getting paid overtime??

Does this kind of thing happen regularly, or is it a once-off? Is there any mention of requirements to travel in your contract?
Yes I am asked to travel fairly often, maybe once a month. Also, my contract does say that I am required to travel. I quite enjoy travelling with work, however while the kids are small it is really difficult for me to do this.

If it is just a once-off, you might be as well finding a way to make it happen. Get support from family or friends to mind the kids for that evening.
The problem is that as I have been decentralised I am living in another provance from all my friends and family. Anyone I know is atleast 3 hours drive away. We only moved house last November and dont know any neighbours or friends who we can ask to take the kids overnight. We cant afford to pay a professional. If we weren't decentralised we would have friends and family around.

Again, I know that I am really lucky to have a job and the option of overtime/ time in lieu. I don't want to complain, and I am willing to oblige the organisation whenever possible. However, travelling is really difficult for me and I am seriously out of pocket if I do travel. Not to mention the fact that the kids are up in a heap with all the different babysitters etc. So, while I would travel if I could I need to know if I have an option to travel on overtime when I am told to?

Back