Im an Adult get me out of here. (TV last night)

jz1

Hi All

Saw this last night, but wasnt very impressed with it.
To summise it was about helping two twenty somethings get on the property ladder, and get them out of the family home.

They wanted south Dublin and wouldnt really budge on that though, (although they did try half hearted for a apt in the west side I think)
But we knew they wanted close to where they where already

Although they had a unique set of cirmstances which dont really apply to anyone I know.
I cant belive daddy gives them €500 each every month pocket money even though they are 22 and 27 working full time. (and will continue to do this to cover the mortgage!)
Ok mum went Guarentor to give them an extra €70k fair enough, but I think there are many people out there who would love to be able to afford the places these girls turned down.
It just seemed like rather than save and try and do it themselves anytime a problem arose they were on the phone to mum and dad asking for money.

For a first time buyer watching they show I dont think it gave much help other than entertainment value
anyone else any thoughts ?

I agree with you completely. The younger girl in particular did not seem to realise the enormity of what she was taking on. Very few people have their parents in the background willingly and able to bail them out at the first sign of a struggle.

I am not from Dublin and was lucky enough therefore to get on the property ladder a few years ago in the south east. I can see friends of mine earing more money than these girls struggle to get a €250K mortgage and pay it back. This programme made a joke and the efforts real people have to go to all over the country and God help people in Dublin and some of the other big cities!!

The oul line,

"Gosh, with only 317k, we'll end up living somewhere like, like Rathfarnham or something" giggle giggle

Right out of the Ross O'Carroll Kelly school of thought they were.

Entertained me all the same! :)

Totally agree with all that was said below. I thought the best was one of the girls friends advising her to buy abroad as an investment as you would get a way better place for your money than in Dublin. What a dope. The look the girl gave her as she replied "but I need somewhere to live here, so I can get out of home".

mollser said:
The oul line,

"Gosh, with only 317k, we'll end up living somewhere like, like Rathfarnham or something" giggle giggle

I think it was Monkstown Farm rather than Rathfarnham that they mentioned - Monkstown farm would be the "rough" part of Monkstown. The average price of a house there is about 550k - which is about twice what they could afford on their own!!!!!!!!!

I saw it last and thought the girls were very funny. Very entertaining. The presenter did a great job also. I wonder if the show will have people on it who cannot afford to leave home (in Dublin anyway) without help from the parents.

Then again, if the program did have people on it who could afford to buy without help from their parents, surely they wouldn't need the help from RTE?

Art said:
mollser said:
The oul line,

I think it was Monkstown Farm rather than Rathfarnham that they mentioned - Monkstown farm would be the "rough" part of Monkstown. The average price of a house there is about 550k - which is about twice what they could afford on their own!!!!!!!!!

Oops :eek:!

Still, they were hilarious - why would the young one take it seriously about buying? She was only 22!!

Seriously, this program appears to be a bit of a propaganda machine - the "buy now or you'll never be able to afford" mantra that gets bandied around. At the age of both of those girls, renting was by far and away the most sensible way to go. 2 Choices available in the show, buy or forever stay at home. I know the point of the show is about buying property, but if living closer to their parents etc is their priority, maybe renting shouldve been touted as an option.

They could have used the show as a publicity tool to highlight how much cheaper it currently is to rent than to actually buy in certain areas. But I guess it depends on what the producer's / backers motives are.

I wonder was it one of those girls on here recently enquiring about the Sandyford View scheme?? :;

I thought it was absolutely hi-larious, pure car-crash TV :D

It was hysterical to watch two south dublin spoiled-brats be brought to tallaght (which he tried to get away with calling 'kiltipper'), then "up and coming" jobstown (!!!!!) and then wheatfield in clondalkin! (which the estate agent was rather deperate to brand as 'liffey valley'). The American equivalent would be two posh chicks from the hamptons on long island being brought to "up & coming" harlem.. :D

Hopefully (altho doubtfully..) this programme will serve as an eye opener to potential FTBs. Just look at how incredibly screwed up things have become and wether you think this is a sustainable situation. :rolleyes:

mollser said:
maybe renting shouldve been touted as an option.
In fairness to the presenter, he did actually say to them that if given the choice, he'd rent before living at home. I think he did an Ok job given his remit & was not the gung-ho-property-bull I was expecting. He was obviously unimpressed with the apartment in Sandyford the girls ended up with, in comparison to the show apartment that they had based their purchaase on.

I wanted to smack those girls, particularly the younger one... though I'm sure mammy and daddy will bail her out when she decides to spend her mortgage repayments on shoes and lipgloss instead!

Their attitude made a mockery of everyone out there who is working their backsides off to scrape together enough money to afford a place of their own. When I think of how long it took me to save what they managed to accumulate from a couple of phonecalls... :rolleyes:

Are RTE marketing it as 'Factual' or 'Entertainment'? If the rest of the series continues like this, I can't see it being of any real use to FTBs, other than to irritate the hell out of them.

I saw in the credits that Sarah Wellband was a consultant on the show. Any thoughts or input Sarah W??

I saw it too and while it was entertaining it offered little of any use to people who are in the position of having to finance this themselves.

I also heard a column on Radio 1 yesterday evening where there was much musing on what progress has been made over the last few generations - great-grandparents tied to the land because they weren't educated/rich enough to develop other options and 'escape' the land, grandparents benefitting from their parents saving end betterment and improving their education, parents benefitting further with much greater levels of education and job prospects in the country and abroad, followed by the current generation who now find themselves tied to the land (property) again because they don't have the time/money to develop other options. It also pointed out that a lot of people seem to be living in what they regard as their pension, their best investment ever, and so on rather than living in their home. Progress ? It was put across a lot better on the radio. You can listen to it here - [broken link removed] - down the bottom, Political Column by Olivia O'Leary.

z

Come on lads - if we wanted a purely practical programme, we would have ended up with yet another boring teacher-like Eddie Hobbs format!!! It was brilliant – compelling viewing!

To be fair to the presenter – he was dealing with a pair of twits (on good salaries & allowances from Daddy) who had absolutely no savings, ridiculous spending habits & totally unrealistic expectations about what they could afford. I thought he did a really good job of ‘shocking’ them to the reality of their situation. However, perhaps it would have helped first time buyers more if they included a list of costs & what you realistically need to have before you even think of buying.

The bit where their little “Dort” friends were advising them to “buy an apartment” or “buy abroad” instead was absolutely hilarious!!!! All of these people need a HUGE reality check – they’ve obviously never had to pay for a thing in their life!

I do think the show will cover all walks of life in the coming weeks… you could see it in the clip for next weeks show – where a woman has to move to a comuter belt in Athy…... I can hardly wait!!! (just wish they had a follow-up to see if they actually moved in to their home or if they ran back crying to Mummy & Daddy).

The people you should be smacking are those who made the program content decisions. Its ostensibly an instructive program which will offer advise to people in the situation where they are struggling to leave home. The key being that people in their late 20's early 30's on good salaries have become trapped living at home with their parents.
This program wasn't billed as "fools and their money", how rich people are prepared to live in kennels as long as they have the right postcode. In fact if it was it would be a great alternative comedy show at which the whole country could laugh at this type of idiot and realise that thank God they want to stay where they are living on top of each other.
If they copped on and were prepared to move elsewhere then with their money not only would the cost of the houses the rest of us buy soar, but we'd have to live beside and listen to these fools every day.

Ray Darcy did a preview of this yesterday morning and mentioned the whole idea of renting being 'dead money'. I was thrilled to discover that the presenter of this programme doesn't subscribe to that particular mantra. Come on, surely the fun part of being in your (early) 20s is the ability to rent some flea pit, live with a whole crowd of often insane strangers and spend all your money on da good times? Rather than sitting at home with your parents, being asked if you'll be in for dinner and fantasising about 100% mortgages? Or is that just my mis spent youth I'm thinking about?? :)

This was Ken and Barbie(x2) go house hunting, hence pretty vacuous. The question is should such a serious subject as committing to the largest purchase in many peoples lives be given this lightweight treatment?

Somewhat off topic (and as a former Southsider/'Dort' speaker myself! - probably still a Dort speaker, but there you go, you can take the woman out of the Southside, but can't take the Southside out of the woman!)....

I actually thought it was quite sad just how childish these girls were - the older one in particular.

It really shows up the fact that their parents were doing them no favours at all in keeping them so dependent both in terms of their housing and their 'allowances'.

Speirbhean.
You're dead right, early 20's is the time to rent and enjoy yourself living it up in said flea pit with the ability to say good luck and good night and up and travel, work abroad, work in a different county even without the stresses and strains of who is going to pay my mortgage if I travel etc.
Early 20's..could stretch it to mid 20's even, I bought my place at 28 and yes people will probably say I'm one of the lucky ones, they could be right but to even entertain a house purchase at 22 is ludicrious IMHO.

Norfbank
I dont see the problem with buying a house at 22! I bought a house last year when I was 22 without the help of mummy and daddy

momomo said:
Norfbank
I dont see the problem with buying a house at 22! I bought a house last year when I was 22 without the help of mummy and daddy

Out of interest where did you buy and how much was it? I thought it was rare these days for young people to be able to afford buying houses on their own...?

Back