Illegal removal of children from Haiti

"A "troll" is someone who intentionally and persistently posts inflammatory messages about sensitive topics to bait users into responding or provoke a confrontation. We also consider people to be trolls when they persistently misuse product features such as the ratings system to negatively target others."

Not I. Just have a strong opinion on the matter.

At least one of the children wasn't even an orphan and had been told they were going to some sort of holiday camp.

Questionable whether how she (or her parents) would regard the intervention of the baptists as being a positive. It's dangerous when any group feels it knows better than everyone else and feels they should be allowed flout the law to "do what's right".

And that doesn't even get into possibilities on where the children might have ended up.

Surely any trained aid worker would know that you have to put your own beliefs aside and deal with the people, children and families in a responsible and legal manner. No matter what religion these guys are, they had absolutely no right to play god and take children from their home country. Maybe they could give them a better life, maybe not but they have undermined all the great work done by charity & aid workers in Haiti. Everyone will be viewed with suspicion now.

The children arent the first to be illegaly removed from Haiti.
Their president Jean-Bertrand Aristide was removed from power twice. Apparently he had an economic program in store for his country that would develop their resources for themselves.
Turns out that there are huge reserves of hydrocarbons under there. And all the big players are now going in there to "help". Yeah right. They weren't as quick to go into New Orleans were they?
The children won't be the last thing to be illegaly removed from the country.

Here is a link to a french site talking about it:[broken link removed]
And here it is translated in another place:
Note the date is in 2004. This has been building for quite some time!

There is nothing wrong with the U.S. or Baptists for that matter (in the main)!!!!!

Do you not think taking children illegally from a country is wrong ?

Would it be alright it I popped over to one of the many and vast trailer parks in the US and rescued a poor child, whose mother worked 3 low paid jobs but still couldn't make ends meet and certainly couldn't pay any medical bills, to bring the child to a life of plenty in Ireland?

The U.S. healthcare is second to none, actually, speaking from first-hand experience.
Strange how countries with more income equality (esp Nordics) than the US have generally better outcomes in terms of life expectancy, infant mortality, mental health etc.

Do you not think taking children illegally from a country is wrong ?

Would it be alright it I popped over to one of the many and vast trailer parks in the US and rescued a poor child, whose mother worked 3 low paid jobs but still couldn't make ends meet and certainly couldn't pay any medical bills, to bring the child to a life of plenty in Ireland?

I don't think anyone would want to swap their lives in the U.S. to come here.

I know people who have when they lost their jobs and therefore their health insurance and they had a sick child. As Complainer says, the US Health System is not a shining example to the rest of the World.

I must share your great news with the two US citizens that I work with here, and the several other US citizens (living in Ireland) that are in my circle of friends and contacts.

There are lots of Americans who have chosen to live in Ireland. Just because you would like to live in the States does not mean it is Utopia and that people are lucky to be brought there, by whatever means, and even if it involves being separated from their parents. Are you sure you're not trolling?

Ah, yet another example of a subjective matter of opinion.

I know 2 very nice american gentleman, both university professors, who left the US to come and live in Ireland. It happens.

There are lots of Americans who have chosen to live in Ireland. Just because you would like to live in the States does not mean it is Utopia and that people are lucky to be brought there, by whatever means, and even if it involves being separated from their parents. Are you sure you're not trolling?

Gulliver1 is a New Yorker born and bred - I have read his profile and he is entitled to his opinion. He likes the US and is ready to defend it so good for him. I absolutely disagree with him on this issue but honest debate is good too.

I hadn't meant to turn it into a US versus Ireland debate. It was more about working out the morals of a religious organisation illegally removing children from a foreign country.

If Gulliver is American it would be unfair to have him debate the rest of us on his own, though he has been categorical on how fantastic the US is without justifying it. His views on Ireland would be very interesting no doubt, would we be able for them? I have fond memories of Brooklyn where I worked one summer. America is where I first earned money and I'll never forget the feel of those greenbacks.

Gulliver1 is a New Yorker born and bred - I have read his profile and he is entitled to his opinion. He likes the US and is ready to defend it so good for him. I absolutely disagree with him on this issue but honest debate is good too.

And I am entitled to my opinion ,which is that implying that children who have been taken illegally from their parents to be brought to the States are fortunate because there is nowhere better to live is either a dangerous and very wrong thing to say or just someone trolling.

Back