Illegal parking - any solutions?

reason

Well, there's reasonable requests and then there's unreasonable people - unfortunately I'm dealing with a rented property and the inhabitants don't give two damns about objections from anyone. When I mentioned surly grunts (or grunting surls) earlier I wasn't joking. I have on occasion gone in to ask them to move a car to allow me to get to work (argh! Traffic congestion in my own driveway!) and the scenario usually goes as follows;
Me - howerya - listen, is that car yours? only it's blocking mine and...
Surly - (says nothing to me, just looks over shoulder and yells) does one of yous own that car?
Muffled giggles, accusations, etc ensue from inside the house. The original person disappears. I then hover in the driveway until someone else slopes out, brushes past me, and moves the car. He then returns to the house, as silently as when he first appeared...
So no. Not even an apology. Just 'oh there goes yer wan who can't drive through walls again'.
In terms of parking in front of my house, well, it's not a great area and one of the reasons I bought the house was because of the off street parking. Oh well. Hopefully they'll all benefit from the change in stamp duty and buy their own place in January!

Sinead,

Have you tried contacting the landlord to discuss the problem?

As the has now clicked into place you could mention that they offer a mediation/advice service for neighbours also (I was told this when I contacted them recently). You could also ring the for advice yourself.

If someone in your house needs to get to a hospital urgently it certainly won't help the situation of an unknown car is blocking the driveway besides the fact that its illegal.

Hi Sinead - Sorry to hear of your difficult situation. I would suggest that you explicitly ask/tell them not to park in front of your house again before considering other routes.

Hi Sinead, have you ever tried calling the gardai when blocked in? You might be lucky and get one that will actually take it serious and come out to write a ticket and maybe have a word. Alternatively, try calling the Traffic Watch number, you know the one for reporting bad behaviour on the roads. That way your complaint can be logged and followed up later, again hopefully at least deterr them from persisting.

Just in case you end up having to take a hard line on this, take some photos clearly showing the car reg and showing that the gate in question is unmistakably yours.

My car was hit when parked overnight on the street once. White paint marks were left on my dark coloured car. We trawled neighbouring streets and found a white van with dark fresh paint at the same height. Photos, photos and more photos ended up tipping the balance in my favour.

thanks!

Thanks for all the advice! I'm actually selling the house... not, not a drastic solution, but an unconnected move! But thanks anyway, I'm sure I'm not the only one affected in this way.

Re: thanks!

If you are selling, make sure viewings happen during the day, or whenever this parking problem is least likely to be evident. Goes to show, from the buyers point of view, the importance of revisiting a potential purchase at various times of the day and week to check for such problems as parking/yobs sitting on your wall/parties etc.

Back