Illegal parking - any solutions?

O

onekeano

Have a problem with people parking on grass verges along our road. We don't mind people parking legally but hate to see grass verges being destroyed.

If anyone has come across a similar situation where a solution could be applied I would be grateful for advice.

Roy

PS. Can we just buy No Parking on grass verges stickers and apply them to cars?

Don't have a solution but would be interested to hear suggestions. We have a problem with a truck that parks outside our house most days making it difficult to get out of our gate and leaving a very narrow gap for cars to drive past it. It is not illegal as its not a huge truck but it is unsafe and annoying.

There was a topic here on AAM dealing with the issue of nuisance parking in housing estates a while back but I can't locate it at the moment. Anybody else know where to find it? It might be of relevance to this discussion.

Onekeano,

Where is this then ?

( If its in Dublin City Council area you can get them clamped / removed )

Yes ED it's in the DCC catchment area. The crowd that were our beloved clampers was Control Plus but I think they lost the contract - not sure who is doing it now.

Roy

not sure who is doing it now.

. Regardless of who operates it I think that you still call the same number [broken link removed].

parking rocks

I don't know if this is any help or whether you're entitled to do this... but when my parents' street had a similar problem in England, they put decorative looking rocks/boulders of around a foot squared around a metre and a half apart on the very edge of the grass verge, making parking up on the grass not really possible. The grass grew greener than ever...

Re: parking rocks

Thank Clubman and Tricia......

The decorative stones we were advised by DCC were a hazard and they advise against for several reasons (including insurance).

The only think about the clampers is that DCC tell us that if the clampers come out they clamp every car on the road that is to any extent on a footpath. This can cause problems eg. when someone rings to complain about a car blocking their driveway then the clampers see another car further up which could be a residents car and tehy clamp that.... problem!.

Roy

And residents have the right to illegally park? What are you on about? That's NIMBYism and just not on.

"There was a topic here on AAM dealing with the issue of nuisance parking in housing estates a while back but I can't locate it at the moment. Anybody else know where to find it? It might be of relevance to this discussion"

Hi Clubman,

Is this the previous thread that you refer to above

Eh No Casual,

What I am talking about is where non residents drop their cars immediately in front of peoples driveway which block access / egress. If a resident parks in front of their driveway that's not a problem. Relax...

Roy

>>>>If a resident parks in front of their (own) driveway that's not a problem.

Actually it IS a problem. For example (and off the top of my head), it makes it more difficult for emergency services to get to your front door in the case of an emergency.

Even if it wasn't illegal (which it is). clampers or traffic wardens cannot be expected to know if the car blocking your driveway is in fact your own.

Your're either illegally parked or not. In the case of people repeatedly parking on your verges, a little note on the offending car or a casual word with the driver might help. You'd be surprised how reluctant some people might be to leave their car in a place where they have been asked not to.

"Your're either illegally parked or not." Not quite as simple as that actually, you could be parked on the roadway but actually blocking a person trying to get in or out of their driveway. If it's your driveway then it'snot a problem because you can move your car in or out as required, but if the person has dumped their car there and hoppped on a bus into town.....

"In the case of people repeatedly parking on your verges, a little note on the offending car or a casual word with the driver might help. You'd be surprised how reluctant some people might be to leave their car in a place where they have been asked not to. " - in theory you're right, in practice quite a number of residents have been greeted with that well known phrase "would you ever f**k off!"

Roy

Actually it IS a problem.

Actually it's not a problem at least in the [broken link removed]:
Other Parking Restrictions

It is illegal to park in a way which interferes with traffic flow or obstructs or endangers other road users, for example:
<!--EZCODE LIST START--><ul><li>On a footpath (either partly or wholly).</li><li>Within 5 metres of a junction.</li><li>Within 15 metres on the approach side or 5 metres on the other side of a pedestrian crossing or traffic lights.</li><li>Obstructing any entrance for vehicles except with the occupier's consent.</li><li>At a school entrance.</li><li>On a grass margin or median st</li></ul><!--EZCODE LIST END-->

Oh!

and there is another approach too...

( DCC will love you for this. )

Call up DCC and ask that your area becomes a disc parking regulated area.

Ye will all have to stump up for residents permits and all dem outsiders will have to pay and wont be able to leave their motors for more than three hours

Dat will teach dem !

shame

The house next door to me is currently rented to a gang of lads, all of whom seem to have a constant stream of visitors. Quite often, when I come home at night or worse, want to leave in the morning, there is a car plonked at the end of my driveway, blocking my way in and out of my own home. Surely this is illegal? Surely I have the right to get in and out of my own driveway without having to march next door and drag someone out to move their car - usually accompanied by a surly grunt, never an apology? Grr!!

Re: shame

usually accompanied by a surly grunt

As opposed to a friendly grunt? ;)

Re: shame

Hi Sinead - Would you consider approaching the residents with the not-unreasonable request to keep your driveway clear? Would you consider parking in front of your own driveway to keep them away?

Back