If you are Renting a Car on Holidays (Dismiss at your Peril)

Leper

I rent a car 4/5 times a year while on holidays in Spain. In years of renting cars we've never had a problem. However, over the past 3 years I've noticed more and more rows at Car Rental Depots on the return of cars. In fact, whenever I arrive at an airport early, I toddle down to the depot of a specific car rental supplier (very much advertised). I have no doubt there are widespread scams to catch the unwary (I was "caught" twice).

Here's the way it works (from my observations and personal experience):- You pick up your car, use it during your holidays. You've taken out insurance before you booked the car (good all-cover insurance deals from Irish companies). When you return your car you're informed on either or some of the following:- (i) Superficial bumper scratches (ii) Damage to windows (iii) Missing spare wheel (iv) Missing inside width tray at rear (v) Radio antenna missing (vi) Damage to lights etc. You've taken phone pictures before you drove the car. You are entirely innocent and you get hit with an unexpected bill for not under €450.00. This is taken from your Visa Card probably without your permission or you not even being notified. The scam is going on big-time (check TripAdvisor) and I feel Irish holidaymakers are being targeted (my opinion from observing).

The car providers may even explain to you that they will supply paperwork for you to claim from the Irish insurance company when you return to Ireland and no cost to you is incurred. The Car Rental company is happy, you're happy. But, the bottom line is that this is a scam and is being played out on a huge basis.

I was in Spain last month. Sure enough when I returned the car (I had no time to wait around while waiting for my flight) and was informed there was internal damage to two seats back seat and passenger seat ("three corner" tears) plus some scratch. I was the only person who used the car. I decided there was no point even arguing with these people. They hold all the aces.

Solution:- I cancelled my Visa Card so nothing could be deducted after the rental charges. I received another Visa Card a week later (different account number) and have received several emails threatening legal action to recover €460.32. My own solicitor said he would represent me at no charge if necessary and that to ignore the emails from the Car Rental Company. Apparently, it would cost them more than the amount in legal fees etc. I got the idea to cancel the Visa Card from another who was scammed by the same car rental company.

I am recommending that if you rent a car for your holidays and that on the day of your return you should cancel your Visa Card Account whether you are or are not advised of damage. This will ensure that you will not be scammed.

I think the few days you'll be without a Visa Card will be worth it. If you have any doubt of what I am saying check TripAdvisor and view the hundreds of posts (especially of one particular car rental company).

Last edited:
My own skepticism when renting a car, is never go for the cheapest price, as I fear they have to recoup costs some how.

I believe there to be a bonus system in place at the return check-in base to identify damage, which is fair enough, but its not uncommon for the same chip in the windscreen or mark in the paintwork to be paid out on multiple claims.

That is precisely why I took the car to Spain by boat from Cork. Fed up with the anxiety caused by renting a car and being flecced on the credit card. I could recount the number of dents scratches etc on pickup of cars.
I photograph every thing but returning a car is always an anxious time especially when they know you have a flight to catch .

The above posts resonate with me. Presumably, there are some reputable companies?

I made the mistake of hiring a car with Green Motion. If you haven't heard of them, you're lucky; if you get offered a cheap deal with them, run away as fast as you can. Honestly.

You will find that these companies give a very hard sell for (expensive) full insurance with no excess. Unsurprisingly, they won't even look for scratches at the end if you purchase this.

Basically the market is ultra-competitive with price comparison websites. The budget firms don't break even on the rental, and can only make money on the ancillary stuff and stiffing people on damage.

I dealt with one budget car rental company in Spain recently. We left our own satnav in the car afterwards and it was literally impossible to get through to anyone who could check whether it had been handed in to lost property. I got hung up on several times.

I only got a response when I emailed the CEO!

I've been scammed by car rental companies both in Ireland and in Italy.
Now, when renting a car, I tell the staff when I'm collecting the keys, that I've been scammed by rental companies before and I won't accept any funny business.
I'm convinced they actively select whom they think are the most vulnerable.

Leper that’s an unbelievably fantastic post. We have been scammed three times. It is a deliberate racket. I have zero issue paying for any legitimate damage, and I’ve been only once damaged a rental car.

I also agree with lied, they picked us out in Portugal. But we didn’t have the time to argue.

Another scam, listen in at the car rental desks in Dublin, staff deliberately misleading customers into paying for more insurance. Scaring customers who are tired and stressed from traveling.

My own skepticism when renting a car, is never go for the cheapest price, as I fear they have to recoup costs some how.

I believe there to be a bonus system in place at the return check-in base to identify damage, which is fair enough, but its not uncommon for the same chip in the windscreen or mark in the paintwork to be paid out on multiple claims.
Do not agree with you about the cheapness, we use car trawler via Ryanair or Aer Lingus and have had very cheap rentals. But we are Irish, I feel the scans are pulled on the Americans and British etc.

I often thought about how I could record the conversations at the rental desks in Dublin. Amazed what you hear. Nice lad last month at .... warned me not to return the car later than x time or they would charge me an extra day. That was because I chatted to him. Literally he was telling me that is a new scam. If you’re 15 minutes late an extra day.

Nearly all rental companies insist on putting a block debit of €1000 to €1500 on your CC at point of collection so what happens to that when you report your CC lost ?
I also reckon you would need to extremely quick about cancelling it before they have a chance to complete the said debit.

Nearly all rental companies insist on putting a block debit of €1000 to €1500 on your CC at point of collection so what happens to that when you report your CC lost ?
I also reckon you would need to extremely quick about cancelling it before they have a chance to complete the said debit.

SparkRite is right. You must cease your membership to Visa Card the same day you return the car. Don't delay. And reapply for a different visa card the following day. It costs you nothing.

While I am not a fluent at Spanish, I have a pretty good grasp of the language and I often eavesdrop on their conversations at car rental boots. They know they have all the advantages. We are rushing for flights; they have all-day and more. There is no point in arguing with them they advise you that you can successfully claim against your own insurance when you return to Ireland. According to them it's a no brainer as you don't lose and they gain.

I would love to see one of those secret television shows done on the goings-on in Spanish/Portugese/Italian/French car rental scamming.

There are a couple of car rental companies at Malaga airport (away from the terminal, you need to take an airport bus there) where they have no excess. They are not mainstream (eg hertz Avis). I rented from one of them a few years ago (can’t remember which one). I did damage the car (big scratch) totally my fault. I fessed up on return. No charge. I thought that I might find an unexpected credit card charge but nothing ever appeared.

By contrast, on returning a car (in pristine condition) to Hertz in Faro, the guy took out a torch, lay down underneath the car and told me there was a scratch on the underside behind the bumper. He must have been a contortionist to get underneath. €300. I couldn’t argue as my flight departure time was getting closer. I complained to Hertz and got €50 off. The rest I got from insurance. Overall I was very surprised with hertz. Even though they were relatively expensive I hoped there would be no shenanigans as a trade off.

Never had a problem with any of my car rentals in Europe or America and I presume the reason for this is I pay for full insurance from the car hire place
And I do this for two reasons 1. that I've only got one contact to deal with should anything go wrong and 2. peace of mind that I'm fully covered should the unthinkable happen
It may cost a little bit more then the cheaper options but for me its worth the extra cost considering most of my trips are high mileage and anything could go wrong

Recently Mrs Cervelo went to Spain on a cigarette run, she rented a car for €150 for 7 days but when collecting the car she noticed a scratch on one of the panels
She brought it to the attention of the hire company that it wasn't noted on the rental agreement and was told "Don't worry about it, you're fully insured"
Needless to say she returned the car, nothing said and no follow on bill

Cervelo (Mrs Cervelo) and others made the point that if you take out the car insurance from the rental supplier you could return the car damaged and with no fear. Great! But comprehensive/no excess insurance is not cheap when you buy it from the car supplier. In fact, it is very expensive compared to the 12 months (multi trip) cover you can buy in Ireland before your holiday.

Operatives in car rental firms are on bonuses to sell their insurance and to screw the car renter. Their basic wages are low and they depend on their scamming abilities to enhance their low pay.

Let me iterate that these unlawful means have increased over the past three years. Furthermore, we are at their mercy; we are hurrying for a flight; they have our Visa Card details with licence to withdraw up to €1200 without even informing us. We may not even know until after we receive the monthly statement from the Visa Card supplier.

Askaboutmoney is all about your money. Do yourself a favour, the day you return to Ireland cease your Visa Card account. Open another account the following day. It costs nothing and you have beaten the scam. My thought for 2019 Scam the Scammers.

Leper, I'm not disagreeing with you re the scam it's something I've read, heard and witnessed myself and I think it's disgusting that it's allowed to happen in the first place
I also find it hard to believe that this scam is still been allowed to happen when so many people have complained to not only the hire companies but also the CC providers and probably the relevant authorities

But I think your idea of "Scamming the Scammers" is a little short-sighted for two reasons in my opinion
1: I would think that the next time you go to hire a car after scamming the scammer you cant use the same hire company again
2: How many times do you think your bank will keep changing your CC before they start to ask questions

In the example I gave, I don't think paying €150 for 7 days (€21.50 per day) is that expensive for a fully comp car sure she could have hired the same car for less then half that and provided her own insurance
But is it really worth the time ,the effort ,the hassle and the risk of a final bill just to save a few euros

I never hired a car in my life. Always thought it better to bring your own on the ferry or go to a location that doesn't require a car and get around on buses. I know it's not for all but such as what Leper has outlined I would have feared. Paying for a minor scratch at best at the end of a holiday would be a nightmare for me having already paid enough for a holiday in the first place. Always having to be extra mindful and telling the children to be careful would cause extra worry to me personally. Long and short of it if I had to hire a car I would most definitely pay the fully comprehensive cover which appears to be €150.

Leper, I'm not disagreeing with you re the scam it's something I've read, heard and witnessed myself and I think it's disgusting that it's allowed to happen in the first place
I also find it hard to believe that this scam is still been allowed to happen when so many people have complained to not only the hire companies but also the CC providers and probably the relevant authorities

But I think your idea of "Scamming the Scammers" is a little short-sighted for two reasons in my opinion
1: I would think that the next time you go to hire a car after scamming the scammer you cant use the same hire company again
2: How many times do you think your bank will keep changing your CC before they start to ask questions

In the example I gave, I don't think paying €150 for 7 days (€21.50 per day) is that expensive for a fully comp car sure she could have hired the same car for less then half that and provided her own insurance
But is it really worth the time ,the effort ,the hassle and the risk of a final bill just to save a few euros

1. Car Hire operators are competing heavily with each other for our business. You'll have no problems renting a car from any company you wish.
2. Similarly, with Visa Card suppliers; all of them want your business.
3. €150 for fully comp. for 7 days - not bad, most are dearer though. And if you want to rent for 14 days you're talking minimum of €300. Visit Spain 4/5 times per year then multiply the insurance cost by €150 per week.
4. Now add in the car rental charge plus more add-ons if necessary. Was that the bargain you booked?
5. I take out the multi trip insurance every year through an Irish agent. I get great value, but it is undermined by the "carry-on" of the Spanish car rental people.
6. Usually, I rent a Ford Focus or similar. No point in driving a leaking four wheeled biscuit-tin on a Honda-50 engine (just thought I'd throw in that "beauty.")

How long more do you think Irish Insurers are going to offer their products if the scams continue?

Very interesting post that encouraged me to look over the agreement I made for car hire referred through Aer Lingus site for car hire from Budget in Las Palmas, Canaries, I wouldn't have bothered if I didn't read these posts.

I paid in full at the time but noticed in their confirmation email that they charge upon pick up a non refundable admin fee of €19 for providing the car with a full tank. Your card also has to be able to carry a €2500 deposit in case of damage.

Return the car half empty and they charge you for fuel used, OK, simples, leave it back full....nothing unusual there, except for that non refundable €19 admin charge, the referral was through car trawler, I have cancelled the hire.

This is non transparent to the consumer, I thought I had a good deal but when I saw this additional undisclosed at time of purchase junk fee I think that trust with Budget is broken, I do not trust them to be honest and think the advice to cancel the credit card immediately after returning any car hire abroad is excellent advice.

Just to add some info here I do have annual excess insurance, BUT damage to interior is not covered , wonder if this damage is by firms own policies is covered .

Back