I use the Garden to Think and Pause; Not for Feline Paws

Leper

I have been spending more time in the garden over the past eight weeks. I hear what you spend in the garden is saved through not needing therapy later. However, I have noticed that there are at least twelve cats visiting our back and front gardens more than regularly and I have no great qualm, but they are digging up my flower-beds and letting fly and burying their excrement. The smell is not good. Several spots have grown in the excrement paste. One of my neighbours has a Twin Towers of Cat apartments. She takes in every feline cat that's passes and worse again feeds tham so that they'll stay.

I don't want to hurt my neighbour's feelings and neither do I want to harm any children. Does anybody know of a cat repellent that works? Where can I get it? How much does it cost?

At this stage, I'll take any suggestions.

Nothing works. I've been there and spent a fortune on things to try and repel them. The stink is AWFUL My sympathies

I have used a green gel that I bought in a garden centre. Seemed to do the job. Was scented with orange oil. I've heard that citrus oil or garlic cloves also deters them. You are right about the smell. Worst one on planet. Could never see the attraction in owning a cat. I know an old lady who has several indoors and the smell in her house....it would stay with you for a long time.

I have found three things to be very effective.

1. Lion poop!. Got it through a friend who works at Dublin Zoo. Don't know how readily available it is, but it worked really well. If you can't get the real thing, I understand that this stuff is not a bad second best. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silent-Roar-Lion-Manure-Repellant/dp/B0002B7OT2 . Think the mogs didn't like the idea of intruding on a bigger 'kitty's territory.

2. Put all of your egg shells (roughly crushed) on your flower beds. Cats don't like the rough, sharpish feeling under paw.

3. Throw all of your citrus fruit peelings in the areas the cats 'frequent', Cats HATE citrus!. You'll need to keep this up for a few weeks, though. It breaks the habit of them using your garden, they then go elsewhere, and that becomes the established 'go to' place instead of your garden.

Good luck with it!.

Darth.

Ignoring the advice to be cruel to an animal - OP can you speak with your neighbour about getting the cats neutered? Some vets do this free to reduce the amount of feral kittens. Unfortunately the problem here is not actually the cats themselves they are just being cats its the irresponsible owners that get a cute kitten then it grows up they don't neuter it and let it roam where it likes.

The problem in my estate is dog poo everywhere and believe me that is worse than anything a cat will do. Again not the dogs fault - the owner!

What happens if the neighbour says “sling yer hook, I love the cats being around.” By the way neutering animals is responsible but quite cruel! (Eight out of 10 cats prefer not been neutered)

Last edited:
My wife has laid soft drinks bottles half filled with water in the flower bed which appears, up to now, to have eliminating the problem of cats digging in it. Apparently, the shape of the bottles reflects the light and makes it "shine" in poor visibility, and this frighten the cats away.

My 2 cents, anyway.

Water soaker works but you need to be around.

Citrus is good, needs to be replenished

Not convinced on the water bottles, dont think eggshell would work, cat litter is quite gritty.

Neutering cats is not cruel or inhumane; failing to do so certainly is.

Guerrilla plant catnip in all your neighbours gardens! ;)

I suffered both cat and dog poo in my garden ( front and back for the cats as they could get in anywhere), I managed with fencing to get them out of the back. I watched one of the cats coming one day to do his business - he walked the certain well worn path to where he had last pooped and did it again nearby having come past other houses to get to mine. Once they get in the habit of doing it there it's almost impossible to stop it. To me the stink of cat poo is far more disgusting than dog poo. I would smell it on arrival home each day and knew before I looked whether he'd been or not. While he did dig to cover it over-- he left lumpy, smelly mounds all over the place. My lawn was like a kitty litter tray.Needless to say he never pooped in his own place. If a dog does it you can contact the owner or dog warden, if a cat does it the owners don't care - there's no law re cats. In my case the owners knew I was having major problems with their cat but didn't give a hoot, Irresponsible owners:mad:

Cause shooting at them with an air pistol is cruel, whereas cutting their genitals off is humane.

:rolleyes: I hope you don't have an animal, your lack of knowledge and actual common sense is pretty astounding. Unfortunately you are not the only one - hence the number of cats just left to fend for themselves.

Back