I use the Garden to Think and Pause; Not for Feline Paws

I have a cat and if I were to try keep her out of certain areas - I would use a series of little sticks in the ground. To poo - they need enough sit down/shuffle space - so if you used a whole pile of wooden BBQ scures (Try Tesco/Dealz etc) - i'd put spikey end into the soil - or cut it off altogether. If you have enough positioned in the areas they use as their toilets - it should work - defo worth a try! or use twigs as a more natural alternative. or get some large pebbles/small rocks also to place in voids that look tempting to the average cat bottom! Good Luck!

I spent €20 on a plastic bottle of the citrous stuff and scattered it on flower beds like a London criminal would have his ashes scattered on Wimbledon Common. Mrs Lep placed several plastic bottles of water over the garden area. Aldi had a special on garlic and having relieved them of a week's supply I now have the largest garlic growing area in Ireland. The cats (increasing in number since) are using the water bottles as play things and they are even sniffing the garden gel. I hope they like orange flavour. I asked my cat loving neighbour what was the black stuff she was spreading on her flowerbeds. She informed me that it is garden pepper to keep her cats off her plants. So off to the garden centre today says I and Garden Pepper is at the top of my list. I'm off to Spain tonight so I'll keep you informed of any developments on my return.

We're back in Ireland again. I put down a serious amount of garden pepper on our plants before we left. The pepper was blown off by little enough wind. What was left was washed away by rain. I couldn't get my hands on any lion's poo. Mrs Lep had signed on for a "rescue" dog of which until today we were waiting news. Off she went to the Dogs' Refuge in early morning to collect the dog. She returned a short time later with two dogs. Apparently, they are twins and would not be separated. Adolf, the dog with a kind of one inch moustache and a longing to stake territory outside of our property put his retaliation in first and chased the invading cats doing 80 mph while the cats did 81 mph. I noticed the cats returning furtively via a nearby high wall taking careful steps. Our second dog Winston (a kind of pacifist who just spent the day in the back garden happy with his lot). But, he joined in the cat chasing too. I know we haven't won the war yet, but certainly this is the beginning of the end. So, pellet gun has been put back in the attic. Our doggies have asserted themselves bravely. Now, I hear my neighbour wishes to speak to me. I wonder what she wants to talk about . . .

Thank You Páid for your suggestion.

Glad if dogs are working for you - I now find myself with two horrible cats visiting my garden after a long period of freedom from these pests!!!!!!!!! I dealt with this before and don't fancy dealing with it again, has anyone any suggestions that are new? I've never tried the garden pepper - does it work? Is it expensive?

We tried the skewers as recommended by Lone star. Worked really well despite my doubts. Went from being neighbourhood litter tray to cat free zone

I tried the skewers, but it didn't help. I put in a lot, but perhaps not enough. And such a nuisance to pull them all out to mow the lawn.
Nor did eggshells work, nor anti-cat sprays. Getting a dog means having to pick up their mess instead.
It's infuriating that cats outwit humans like this.

Back