I think I’ll go on strike

Purple

I think I’ll go on strike:

Example one (doing a “Taxi Driver”): I am a shop keeper and have found that competition is driving down my margins and I have to work harder to earn the same income. I will protest in front of the Dail demanding that the government forces other shops to close down, or at least stop allowing new shops from opening.

Example two (doing a “Bus Driver”): My employer is broke (despite a massive hand out each year from the parent company that owns the business) and demand for our services has dropped off significantly over the last few months. In order to stop the company losing money and becoming insolvent the company wants to lay off staff that no longer have anything to do. Obviously the right thing to do is to strike to stop them from doing this so that all of our jobs will be in jeopardy in the near future.

Example three (doing a “Public sector union”): My employer provides me with a defined benefit pension toward which I make a small contribution. At the moment the company is broke and has to borrow up to one third of the funds it needs for day to day expenditure. Therefore they want me to increase my contribution toward my pension (but still come nowhere near covering the full cost). Obviously I am against this and would rather see them borrow even more money, sack many of my co-workers who are not on the same job for life contract that I am on or cut back on even more of the essential services that they provide for the most needy and vulnerable in society. Therefore I will go on strike ‘till they issue a statement saying “Screw the rest of them; you’re all right jack”.

:D I know it shouldn't be funny cause it's true ... but it is kinda funny!! Christ what a country!

Please somebody help me I have just read Purples post and I agree with it! This is very abnormal for me ..I must be very ill..maybe Im developing a serious mental illness...

Help..Doctor anyone?

Imagine if unions themselves went on strike - wouldn't that be funny?

Maybe they think some of their perks aren't good enough or their pay packets too small - surely their due paying members would support them?

Please somebody help me I have just read Purples post and I agree with it! This is very abnormal for me ..I must be very ill..maybe Im developing a serious mental illness...

Help..Doctor anyone?

It's ok. Its called 'the crossing over phase' in the new reality. It will pass. Next will come the 'bush aversion' stage where you stop beating around it.

Help..Doctor anyone?

We don't discuss health issues on AAM:D

We don't discuss health issues on AAM:D
Yes we do - financial health, property market health, automotive health, horticultural health, plumbing & energy health, legal health, tax compliance health and so on - I think you are being unfair to the moderators' carpal tunnel health.

Yes we do - financial health, property market health, automotive health, horticultural health, plumbing & energy health, legal health, tax compliance health and so on - I think you are being unfair to the moderators' carpal tunnel health.

Now I feel sick!

Lucky you getting paid for sick leave then!

I don't, but the sort of person who goes on strike usually does. ;)

On a more serious note two friends of mine who are public servants (one of whom coined the “Bearded Brethren” phrase to describe the Union Leaders) are taking a day’s annual leave the day of the strike as they don’t agree with it but are aware of the intimidation and bullying they will experience from their union if they are seen to break the strike.
As one of them put it, “There’s no intimidation like union intimidation”.

My friend on €20k a year loses a day's pay to strike next week cos he feels he'll be letting himself down if he doesn't. He can't afford this exta levy, only took the job in the first place because of the benefits despite the poor salary. Now he loses more of his salary for the same benefits he was always going to get.

My friend on €20k a year loses a day's pay to strike next week cos he feels he'll be letting himself down if he doesn't. He can't afford this exta levy, only took the job in the first place because of the benefits despite the poor salary. Now he loses more of his salary for the same benefits he was always going to get.

Welcome to the recession.

I think I’ll go on strike:

Example one (doing a “Taxi Driver”): I am a shop keeper and have found that competition is driving down my margins and I have to work harder to earn the same income. I will protest in front of the Dail demanding that the government forces other shops to close down, or at least stop allowing new shops from opening.

Example two (doing a “Bus Driver”): My employer is broke (despite a massive hand out each year from the parent company that owns the business) and demand for our services has dropped off significantly over the last few months. In order to stop the company losing money and becoming insolvent the company wants to lay off staff that no longer have anything to do. Obviously the right thing to do is to strike to stop them from doing this so that all of our jobs will be in jeopardy in the near future.

Example three (doing a “Public sector union”): My employer provides me with a defined benefit pension toward which I make a small contribution. At the moment the company is broke and has to borrow up to one third of the funds it needs for day to day expenditure. Therefore they want me to increase my contribution toward my pension (but still come nowhere near covering the full cost). Obviously I am against this and would rather see them borrow even more money, sack many of my co-workers who are not on the same job for life contract that I am on or cut back on even more of the essential services that they provide for the most needy and vulnerable in society. Therefore I will go on strike ‘till they issue a statement saying “Screw the rest of them; you’re all right jack”.

Perfect, simple explanation of whats going on at the moment. Top Top post.

Just wanted to add a bit at the bottom:

If striking doesn’t work I will jump on the next, most popular, “in” thing.

Examples include:

· blaming the government ( I didn’t vote FF so I shouldn’t be part of this recession!)
· blaming bankers (for lending me money, I wouldn’t of spent it if they didn’t give it to me!)
· blaming public or private sectors (depends which side your on)

If pointing fingers, blaming everybody doesn’t solve the country’s problems, I don’t know what will . . . .

Maybe it's time that the resonable people demanding resonable action are having a demonstration in front of goverment buildings.

These days it's all about minorities protesting against contributing towards the mess that we all are in, so maybe it's time that the real miniority people that want resonable action take a stand.

Imagine if unions themselves went on strike - wouldn't that be funny?

Maybe they think some of their perks aren't good enough or their pay packets too small - surely their due paying members would support them?

It's ok. Its called 'the crossing over phase' in the new reality. It will pass. Next will come the 'bush aversion' stage where you stop beating around it.

didn't staff in one of the builders/trades unions go on strike last year over job cuts in the union?

Purple;812108 On a more serious note two friends of mine who are public servants (one of whom coined the “Bearded Brethren” phrase to describe the Union Leaders) are taking a day’s annual leave the day of the strike as they don’t agree with it but are aware of the intimidation and bullying they will experience from their union if they are seen to break the strike. As one of them put it said:
If they are members of the union they will have to participate in the industrial action. Taking annual leave is the same as passing the picket.

If they are on pre planned leave that will be acceptable but they can't just take leave because because they don't wish to to go on strike.

If they are members of the union they will have to participate in the industrial action. Taking annual leave is the same as passing the picket.

If they are on pre planned leave that will be acceptable but they can't just take leave because because they don't wish to to go on strike.
Why? Can't they opt out if they disagree with the strike?
If they bdo take annaulo leave who will know?

Back