I Phone

!RAY

Hi
I am going to the USA in as few week if i buy a Iphone there will i be able to use it here .I have heard that you need a American Sim Card.
Thanks
!Ray

I heard that the EU operators at least are locking the phones to their own networks without the option of unlocking it - so you might just want to make sure that if you do get it that you will be able to use it here with an Irish SIM.

You would need an unlocked phone, and as far as I'm aware, unlocked iPhones are not available in the US. I think you can get them in France, but it'll cost you about €1k.

"Real" iPhones in the US are only available with a contract from Apple's network supplier partner, Verizon, IIRC. There are companies who will claim to unlock iPhones but you will lose certain functions.

Unlocked grey market iPhones in the US may not do what they say on the tin and tend to be dearer than those from approved sources.

The iPhone will be available around May in Ireland, or are available from approved sources in the UK, Apple Stores, O2 and their various resellers.

You'll get loads of info on this on boards.ie
It won't work here but if you can manage to unlock it will work with your Irish sim

ive been wondering about iphones, a couple of people have shown them to me recently, i never even thought to ask how they happened to have them as id no idea they werent available until i asked vodafone.
how are these people using them if they wont work here?

The Iphone will work here if it is successfully unlocked, there are numberous websites which details instructions on how to do this, you need to be careful which firmware is on the phone though, iPhone's with firmware version 1.1.2 can be unlocked, but i'm not sure if you are able to unlock 1.1.3 yet, so if you are buying one stateside, with a view to unlocking it, you need to do some research on the firmware that it has.

Mathepac - My understanding of above was that it wont work here?
Sorry, the post you refer to is inaccurate, I missed it; it will almost certainly work here as an expensive unlocked phone with no warranty or manufacturer's support, but some functions may be lost (e.g. iTunes access and syncing with Apple products), depending on who does the unautorised unlocking and how they achieve that.

Sorry, the post you refer to is inaccurate, I missed it; it will almost certainly work here as an expensive unlocked phone with no warranty or manufacturer's support, but some functions may be lost (e.g. iTunes access and syncing with Apple products), depending on who does the unautorised unlocking and how they achieve that.

Ah I see - thanks for that - best wait til May and they are available here legitimately I think.

A friend who works in a large mobile phone company seems to think they are the next benchmark of mobile phone technology.

...A friend who works in a large mobile phone company seems to think they are the next benchmark of mobile phone technology.
I'd agree with your friend, and at the forecast prices here they would want to be!

The competition are scrambling to compete with the iPhone, but so far they don't seem to making much inroad into sales in the US at least.

"Real" iPhones in the US are only available with a contract from Apple's network supplier partner, Verizon, IIRC. There are companies who will claim to unlock iPhones but you will lose certain functions.

Unlocked grey market iPhones in the US may not do what they say on the tin and tend to be dearer than those from approved sources.

The iPhone will be available around May in Ireland, or are available from approved sources in the UK, Apple Stores, O2 and their various resellers.
Real iPones??? Please explain what features you think you will lose.
They have them illegally!! You can only make them work here by hacking into them

What law is being broken here exactly???
If I buy an item & wish to take it apart or install 3rd party software what am I doing illegal?

The networks know at any given time exactly what phone you are using & its serial number etc....
No one from Vodafone has call to me & said stop using that phone on our network...............Oh yeah!!! cause I am paying them ...!!

Ah I see - thanks for that - best wait til May and they are available here legitimately I think.

A friend who works in a large mobile phone company seems to think they are the next benchmark of mobile phone technology.

Again legitimately?? there is nothing illegitimate about buying an iphone & unlocking it.
Wait for them to come out here if you wish but you will be limited to either O2 or Vodafone , whichever gets the contract. I would also imagine you will be charged about €1000 for the privledge of having it sim free. A process that takes about 5 minutes BTW and is perfectly legal.
You dont need to pay anyone to unlocke them the information is frelly available.

Wait for them to come out here if you wish but you will be limited to either O2 or Vodafone , whichever gets the contract. I would also imagine you will be charged about €1000 for the privledge of having it sim free. A process that takes about 5 minutes BTW and is perfectly legal.

Why would you want it sim free? If you bought it off your network provider surely it wouldnt matter if it was sim locked as itd be for your own personal usage anyway?

You dont have to have it sim free ofcourse.. But its nice to have a choice.
Either way I rekon we will be ripped off over here with the price. $300- $400 should convert to €214- €290
What do you think????

Even though it is not illegal to 'hack' the iPhone, keep in mind, that if something goes wrong with it Apple will NOT repair it, not even at a charge.
Friend of mind brought one back from the US after Christmas, and after a few weeks started having trouble with the display. Sent it to a friend in the US to try and get it repaired, but was told by Apple that it had been hacked and they would not repair it, even if he paid for it.
I'm sure that some people will argue that this is illegal behaviour on Apple's part, but who's going to pay a lawyer to go to court over a $400 device.

It's not illegal for manufacturer's to void warranties if their product has been tampered with!

Even though it is not illegal to 'hack' the iPhone, keep in mind, that if something goes wrong with it Apple will NOT repair it, not even at a charge.
Friend of mind brought one back from the US after Christmas, and after a few weeks started having trouble with the display. Sent it to a friend in the US to try and get it repaired, but was told by Apple that it had been hacked and they would not repair it, even if he paid for it.
I'm sure that some people will argue that this is illegal behaviour on Apple's part, but who's going to pay a lawyer to go to court over a $400 device.

As Clubman says they have the right to void warranties if the phone has been tampered with . However as of version 1.1.3 all unlocking & jailbreaking is software based, so is compleatly reversible. ie. your iPone can be fully restored to factory settings. The cases like the one you mention refer to hardware hacking where the phone has been physically opened & componants physically changed or altered.

Back