I Phone

Jailbreaking is the term used to gain read write access to the iPhone's file system.
This enables you to install 3rd party software onto the phone.
Something all other phone manufactures allow you to do anyway.

The best phone I've ever had. Can't recommend it enough as it is so user friendly. Mine came from Hong Kong, SIM free.

Yippee! only 15 days to iPhone day! Danuta was interviewed by Matt Cooper this evening and got promised an iPhone on air; for the rest of the interview he sounded like Danuta's straight-man.

Prices and packages don't sound too outrageous and as a self-confessed non tech-head Danuta seemed to know her stuff, which was unrehearsed of course, as it always is in these live radio scenarios.

So long Vodafone, its been great, but its time for both of us to move on.

I have no connection with Apple, O2, Danuta Gray or Matt Cooper.

I think those prices are too steep.
We are also the only country with the 1gig cap
compare the text & voice bundle with O2 uk & you will see what I mean,
There is no reason why we should be given less for the same price..
Then again we live in rip off Ireland.
Also no visual voicemail in Ireland either. (this is one of the main features of iPhone.)
Give me Jailbreak, SimFree & 3rd paty application on my iPhone anyday.
I,m sticking with ready to go on Vodafone with my iPhone
O2 wont be getting my money!

The iPhone really needs a decent data package to make it work IMO. 3G seems to have the only half decent data packages.

I would urge all people interested in using an Apple iphone to email O2 to complain at our disappointment of the Higher tariffs that are to be charged in Ireland, and maybe if enough people complain we might get them to change their mind and increase the amount of minutes for the cost involved.

Why not just buy one up the north & unlock it.??
If everyone does this both the networks & Apple will soon get the message.

Also typical of Irish networks to up the price & reduce the allowance.

To be honest the iPhone as we know it was unveiled over a year ago. It's a very cool piece of hardware, but it does have limitations compared to, say the Nokia N96 (comming soon)... average enough camera, no video recording, have to send iphone back to Mac to change battery, no 3G, no SD card etc, etc..

These limitations have been loudly criticised since it's release... so taking all that into account, and based on the original iPod's introduction and subsequent development, I'm guessing there's an iPhone 2 in the works sometime between June and Jan '09. Anyone who buys an iPhone now, and gets locked into a contract, is going to feel well peeved if/when it arrives.

Personally I say hold off until then if you can... if enough punters do that, maybe even make 02 nervous enough to drop numbers- then pounce when it arrives.

That's what I'm doing anyway.

It was interesting to read some of the responses from non-Irish iPhone owners on macrumors.com to the charges Irish owners will pay - they were astounded. Truly, we're screwed at every turn, so to speak :)o).

I'm with Jack the Lad on this one. As a phone its very limited compared to other phones, or PDA's for that matter. With our poor mobile data tariffs its even more limited. I've used the iPod Touch, and I thought it was cool. But then I was thinking its really only a web browser with a media player. As a music player it also is limited. I feel the same about the iPhone.

It is cool though.

Back