I have never watched X Factor

If you are talented you write your own songs and not cover others

Some contestants are young, some are old.
If they were any good they would have made it before now

I hate the fact that some people see it as the only way of becoming a 'music star' these days. You listen to the sob stories and watch them cry at the drop of a hat, yet I always think if they were really as talented as the judges keep telling us they are, then they might have already done something in the music world?
Hear, hear. How many X-Factor winners have actually made a successful career (i.e. not Panto) out of it?

It is a modern-day freak show - see [broken link removed]

I hate the fact that some people see it as the only way of becoming a 'music star' these days. You listen to the sob stories and watch them cry at the drop of a hat, yet I always think if they were really as talented as the judges keep telling us they are, then they might have already done something in the music world?

That's a bit unfair. Whilst I totally agree that real talent is in the songwriting and that technical singing ability should be much less important (E.g. Lou Reed Bob Dylan etc)

It's very difficult to be successful in music - plenty of seriously talented people never make it. I mean, who has heard of me? :)

Also, people singing other peoples songs and never writing a word or note in their lives is also nothing new - Elvis didn't write anything, neither did Frank Sinatra (who I detest by the way - blue eyes & menacing charisma and very little else. Nasty piece of work and totally overrated)

In fact as a general rule, most iconic diva type performers, historically and today, don't contribute artistically at all to their work other than sing it.

I enjoy the show and most of the winners are doing really well for themselves which is great for them.

The OH loves the x-factor. I usually find myself sitting on the couch with the newspaper, occasionally raising my head above the rag to make a derogatory comment about one of the judges or random punters on stage. As for that Strictly Come Dancing, dont get me started. The perfect vehicle for the many ex-eastenders stars looking for a gig.

That's a bit unfair. Whilst I totally agree that real talent is in the songwriting and that technical singing ability should be much less important (E.g. Lou Reed Bob Dylan etc)

It's very difficult to be successful in music - plenty of seriously talented people never make it. I mean, who has heard of me? :)

Also, people singing other peoples songs and never writing a word or note in their lives is also nothing new - Elvis didn't write anything, neither did Frank Sinatra (who I detest by the way - blue eyes & menacing charisma and very little else. Nasty piece of work and totally overrated)

In fact as a general rule, most iconic diva type performers, historically and today, don't contribute artistically at all to their work other than sing it.
I don't think I'm being unfair. and you seem to be chatting completely about the ability to write your own songs, but I never mentioned that at all in the quote from me you displayed.

I know of course that you can make it without being a songwriter or being able to play an instrument. There are loads of examples of this in the music world in the past and present.

But the X-Factor is really just a glitzed up Opportunity Knocks for the 21st century. It is style over substance, knowing that a lot of whooping and cheering, and flashing lights will hype the show up to a society that is now very shallow and think that you are really talented if you get fake boobs, appear in tabloids every day and have no real talent.

The music world is full of great talent that has made it the hard way. They have been discovered without having to go on the freak shows. Of course other talented people never make it, but thats the way in any business. Not everyone can make it.

and you seem to be chatting completely about the ability to write your own songs, but I never mentioned that at all in the quote from me you displayed.

I know yes, just a general comment as the gist of the criticism here seems to be that 1) they don't write their owns songs & 2) if they were that talented they would have made it already.

As mentioned, many "stars" don't write their own songs.

You did say this though:

I always think if they were really as talented as the judges keep telling us they are, then they might have already done something in the music world?

But millions don't make it, regardless of how talented they are.

Back