I am arranging a public meeting on the SVR issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to all for posting threads and confirming intention to attend / take action. I understand that Primetime RTE ate running a feature on this latest banking scandal tonight.

Its not easy putting yourself out there , so Sarah Hogon, Thank You ! The government should be made pressurise the banks into dropping rates.

I also support this campaign. Keep the pressure on to stop the gouging of families and individuals by banks.It is even worse considering that some of these banks are owned by our own Government.

I'll also be at any meeting organised. Well done to all who've helped publicise this issue and especially Brendan Burgess and Sarah Hogan. I've written to all my TDs, the Minister for Finance and thanked Deputy McGrath for putting in the Private Member's Motion last week.

We've got to keep the momentum going on this. There's no doubt given the publicity in the last week or so and the fact that this issue affects 300,000 mortgage holders that significant pressure could be put on both the Government and the banks. I think it's deeply unfair and wrong for banks to deliberately target vulnerable (many negative equity) customers to almost singlehandedly recapitalise the banking system! We can't alone be expected to make good on the ill-judged decisions taken by banks in the past.

Quick Question : I want to arrange a public meeting in Dublin city centre hotel this month. Can you send me a message if you are interested in attending OR interested in hosting a meeting elsewhere. Time to take action on Variable Mortgage Rate overcharging Scandal. Post reply on this thread or tweet to @mickohughes

I would be interested in attending a meeting.
Quick Question : I want to arrange a public meeting in Dublin city centre hotel this month. Can you send me a message if you are interested in attending OR interested in hosting a meeting elsewhere. Time to take action on Variable Mortgage Rate overcharging Scandal. Post reply on this thread or tweet to @mickohughes

I will attend too. Currently have a mortgage on what was my PPR (I lived there quite happily for 6 years) - I was forced to move to a different part of the country to gain full time employment. I'm now stuck in rental accommodation with my husband - struggling to get a deposit together to enable us to purchase our own home - all the while I'm supplementing my mortgage payment by 50%. Plus the government consider the rent I receive as "income" and tax me on it...... My mortgage is with KBC - and they are not budging on rates..

• Thanks to all who have posted and expressed interest in attending meeting. There's strength in numbers but also encouragement in knowing that you' re not alone in facing this issue. We expect to have details of meeting venue/time etc confirmed by end of next week. In meantime keep the faith and lobby as many of your public reps as you can ( be nice as most of them will agree and see the unfairness here even if they're not prepared to admit it).

Hi Huges, you are doing fab work, its a credit to you speaking on behalf of us all, yes will be at the meeting and will encourage as many people that I know as possible to attend also, I have emailed 5 politicians now at this stage, We all need to keep the pressure on now, this campaign really is attracting attention, Well done to you and Brendan on primetime last night...Keep up the good work.....

I will also attend, its time we did something about excessive variable rate mortgages, its great to see strength in numbers, I was beginning to lose hope and almost accept the ill treatment I have been getting from E.B.S. I have a standard variable rate mortgage which I took out in 2007. I am now in negative equity and therefore unable to switch mortgage provider. In a time of recession with job losses and pay cuts it is inconceivable that banks are ripping off a cohort of borrowers to this extent. Because it has not been highlighted in the media until recently people were beginning to feel isolated. I salute the brave people who are willing to put themselves out there and make this a national issue - well done and thanks

Well done hughes ,will try and attend ,we have already bailed out the banks , now they are robbing us a yet again ,its an absolute disgrace paying the highest SVR in europe !

Thanks to all for great work to date. On the venue for public meeting which I will attend and promote, can I suggest that consideration be given to location such as Athlone or Tullamore, for people such as I living outside of Dublin. This may increase attendance.

Can I also suggest a Saturday in mid May after Bank Holiday. I think Twitter, facebook etc will be critical to success and ongoing campaign. Awareness of this website and discussions need to be promoted at every opportunity. Thanks.
  • Thanks to all who have posted and expressed interest in attending meeting. There's strength in numbers but also encouragement in knowing that you' re not alone in facing this issue. We expect to have details of meeting venue/time etc confirmed by end of next week. In meantime keep the faith and lobby as many of your public reps as you can ( be nice as most of them will agree and see the unfairness here even if they're not prepared to admit it).

Great work Hughes. I will attend.
On a side note I was in Permanent TSBs Rathfarnham branch today and was surprised to see they were in the midst of renovating the place.
As a contractor myself i would be able to say it appears to be quite a costly renovation with the best of materials going in.
Anybody who has been in that branch would know that it was hardly in a state of disrepair previously. In fact it was one of the more modern bank branches you would see.

It really felt like a frivolous waste of money to me from a loss making bank who needed the taxpayer to prop up their debts.

I would love to renovate my own home but i cant as I have to pay my debts including my 4.5 SVR.

It really felt like another slap in the face to be honest.

Rain hail or snow I will attend your meeting.

Yes would definitely be interested, also encouraging people to hold similar meetings in different parts of the country would be a good way of making more noise . It s numbers of people that will motivate politicians !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back