HunkyDorys ads

dewdrop

It would seem the two ladies featured in these ads do not appear to be from Ireland. If i were an Irish lass i would be offended

It would seem the two ladies featured in these ads do not appear to be from Ireland. If i were an Irish lass i would be offended

Has anyone claimed to the contrary? Why would anyone be offended?

The Rape Crisis Network Ireland has said that the ads cause women to be raped. What a stupid nonsensical load of rubbish.

My wife said they should redo the ad with a few handsome young men all wearing very tight shorts and obviously no underwear - if you get my drift... . they would be photographed down on their hunkers and each with a rugby ball between their legs and the caption should read " Are you looking at my crips or my ball(s)?

I thought it might be too vulgar but she said that is the point

I think they're quiet tame compared to some David Beckham adds.

what's all the fuss.

Maybe ten years ago the models wouldn't have looked Irish. Now however, just walk around Dublin or any town and you see girls like them. The Irish gene pool had been enriched over recent years with immigration - both males and females. The cosmopolitisation of our society as well as the diversification of our restaurants are about the only tangible positive benefits of the so called Celtic Tiger.

I agree that the Beckham ads are just as good. No harm is being done. Let's be mature about it and admire the beauty. People who complain about these ads also complain about our young daughters as young women, sisters, wives and girlfriends dressing inappropriately! What do they want them to wear? Burkhas?

TBH the whole fuss and palaver about this makes it seems like the 50s again.
It's ridiculous.

Like the 50s again? You mean when women knew their place because men told them what that place was?

The Rape Crisis Network Ireland has said that the ads cause women to be raped. What a stupid nonsensical load of rubbish.

I have great respect for them, and the work they do, but I completely agree with you. I couldn't believe it when I heard that on the radio yesterday! Totally daft!

Does it really matter if the models used are “non-nationals”?
What are you trying to advocate here, that Irish should not look at shirtless female “non-nationals” but rather at track suit wearing 18 year old mothers (to bring up a stereotype of Irish ladies)?

Wow if showing a woman that way is causing women to be raped than we a.) must have way more perverts in our society that anyone even suspected and b.) RTE must immediately stop showing any similar pictures in their soaps, TV ads or even in the news. Where is the a censor when you need him, where is the department of social protection, come on protect us from such evil.

Surely the winners here are the PR company for the crisps
Yes they are and with you making the original post here are contributing to their success just that yours has a certain undertone.

I don't think that's what the Rape crisis centre said at all.

On the radio she was at pains to explain that the cmoplaint was to do with the nature of the language in the tag lines, that could contribute to a society more permissive of 'low level' sexual assualt like groping, intimidation etc. On that I could understand where they were coming from.

[broken link removed]

Could you please post a link ?

I cannot find anything that supports your claim that the RCNI stated these these " ads cause women to be raped "

I cannot find anything that supports your claim that the RCNI stated these these " ads cause women to be raped "

I think what he is getting at is the The Rape Crisis Network has no place questioning a harmless Hunky Dory advert. They had no reason to be even involved in the debate, in fact there should not even be a debate.
Soon hopefully people will be able to develop a bit of cop on and not feel the need to winge and compalin at every opportunity.

I would have thought it's exactly their remit to comment/ complain re advertising issues that they feel contribute to a society permissive of , as I think they termed it, low level assualt. Anyone has the right to complain to the advert standards people really.

Whilst I think there may have been a slight over reaction in the complaint, I see where they were coming from based on their role and remit.

From [broken link removed]
“These posters add to attitudes and behaviours that make Ireland a place where the casual and everyday sexual assault of women is permitted and unchallenged,” RCNI director Fiona Neary said.

I have never met anyone, man or woman who thinks that "casual and everyday sexual assault of women" should be permitted and/or go unchallenged. In fact I don't know what a "casual and everyday" sexual assault is.

I no longer wear low cut tops because of men thinking it gives them the right to place their head in your cleavage and shake it and an incident that happened as well as that on night where i had to use serious self defence one a rugby fan in a club when I ignored him and he didn't like being ignored. Don't know what that has to do with hunky dorys adverts i think some men just see breasts and can't help themselves so i don't show them anymore!

Back