HunkyDorys ads

Thought it was a bit rich forr the IRFU to complain about the ads as being "sexist and demeaning to women" - aren't rugby songs all about the rape of women?

I bow to your superior knowledge Purple, not being a rugby man myself, I was refering to comments some years ago regarding the sexist nature of some rugby songs which included references to what could be considered rape.

I bow to your superior knowledge Purple, not being a rugby man myself, I was refering to comments some years ago regarding the sexist nature of some rugby songs which included references to what could be considered rape.
I don't have a great knowledge about it either, so it may well be true.

Please folks! The admen/women are advertising Hunky Dorys. If the ad has inspired people to buy that product - the Hunky Dory ad has succeeded. If it has inspired women to buy similiar type bras - the Hunky Dory ad has succeeded. :)

Please folks! The admen/women are advertising Hunky Dorys. If the ad has inspired people to buy that product - the Hunky Dory ad has succeeded. If it has inspired women to buy similiar type bras - the Hunky Dory ad has succeeded. :)

+1 and +1 :D

There is sex/filth/dirt in a lot of advertising these days, a lot of it very subtle.

Just heard an advert for a competition on either TodayFM or RTE today to win 10,000 to be spent in a single day.

The tag line for the advert?

" BLOW ME ".

That's disgusting. I didn't find the Hunky Dory ads personally offensive just very blatent in using sex to sell. When you start to notice it everywhere it does become annoying. About the Rape Crisis Network's comments, yeah it seems a bit over the top but bear in mind they're the ones working at the coalface every day- they probably know what they're talking about.
As for the CEO of Largo Foods describing it as 'just a bit of fun' that just echoes what guys so often seem to say when they've been caught sexually harassing someone or worse. All just a bit of fun.

That's disgusting. I didn't find the Hunky Dory ads personally offensive just very blatent in using sex to sell. When you start to notice it everywhere it does become annoying. About the Rape Crisis Network's comments, yeah it seems a bit over the top but bear in mind they're the ones working at the coalface every day- they probably know what they're talking about.
As for the CEO of Largo Foods describing it as 'just a bit of fun' that just echoes what guys so often seem to say when they've been caught sexually harassing someone or worse. All just a bit of fun.

Is David Beckham standing in his smalls, with his meat and two veg struggling to get out the front, on a billboard selling aftershave not just using sex to sell?

Hunky Dory's

I had no problem with the Hunky Dory ads at all.

I certainly don't have any problems with the David Beckham poster advertising aftershave either! Apart from wondering if parts of it were airbrushed!!!

I don't remember seeing the David Beckham ad, mustn't have made much of an impression on me. Seriously no I'm not that interested in looking at his meat and 2 veg busting out of his jocks while I'm waiting for the bus or going to the shops or whatever. I'm at the stage where I find the whole 'sex sells' thing totally boring.

Go to www.todayfm.com and see whats the 1st thing that hits you !!

Also, I sometimes listen to the radio when getting the little 'un ready in the morning, and had TodayFM on this morning and that tube D'Arcy in the first 15mins was chatting about oral sex.

I'm no prude but I have heard him chat about inappropriate things early in the morning many times. This country has no shame any more.

I don't remember seeing the David Beckham ad, mustn't have made much of an impression on me.

Seriously no I'm not that interested in looking at his meat and 2 veg busting out of his jocks while I'm waiting for the bus or going to the shops or whatever.

The first and second parts seem a little contradictory there ann ;)

If they are at the coalface, then I worry that they have put their focus on an ad for crisps. If someone is caught sexually assualting someone do you really think that any advertising had an impression on them and contributed to what they did, or are they just a bit sick in the head?

Does one press release count as 'putting their focus' on a topic?

They didn't accidentally do a press release, so one would figure that a meeting was held and an outcome was arrived at, so yes they did put their focus on this harmless ad. I'm not saying they shifted their ethos towards tackling juvenile adverts I'm just saying that they would be better off keeping their eye on the ball.

They didn't accidentally do a press release, so one would figure that a meeting was held and an outcome was arrived at, so yes they did put their focus on this harmless ad. I'm not saying they shifted their ethos towards tackling juvenile adverts I'm just saying that they would be better off keeping their eye on the ball.
There is no evidence that they took their eye off the ball at all at all.

Back