Huge Bill From Three.ie

Experian as far as I know does not hold details of unpaid telephone bills in this country at any rate. Nor could it.

Experian would only have a record of a judgement that was obtained AND REGISTERED by 3. Something that strikes me as so unlikely in this case as to be almost impossible.

Well i believe the operators are starting to share this detail, so anyone who doesnt pay a bill, might find they cannot get a bill pay contract with another operator
[broken link removed]

This thread raises an important question, to what extent can various utility companies and other service providers share information about a clients account.

My understanding of data protection law is that they cannot. Does anyone on here have any definite information as to what protection there is for consumers in this area.

This thread raises an important question, to what extent can various utility companies and other service providers share information about a clients account.

My understanding of data protection law is that they cannot. Does anyone on here have any definite information as to what protection there is for consumers in this area.

Data Protection legislation states that they can use data they collect only for purposes stated as part of any agreement made when you provide that data. Three's terms include the use of any personal data provided for the purposes of these credit checks, and making the execution of the check and any subsequent decision on whether to offer credit available to other providers/ lenders.

So in this case, anyone entering a contract with Three is giving their permission for credit checks to be carried out and recorded, and that data to be made available to any other body who want to run a credit check in the future. All above board and legal. The Data Protection Commissioner's site has guidance for consumers and data controllers.

Not helpful at all and not even a tad funny

Apologies if I've offended you ... it wasn't my intention.

My response wasn't really meant to be funny.

It was just a response to how badly worded the email response you got was.

The point I was trying to make was that if you're dealing with someone who writes like that you'd be as well off throwing a smattering of Irish at them.

Trying to discuss your situation with somebody who can't converse with you is only a waste of time. You'll have to find another way of dealing with 3.

Also, for what it's worth, I wouldn't ignore the bill as others have advised ... it needs to be dealt with.

Data Protection legislation states that they can use data they collect only for purposes stated as part of any agreement made when you provide that data. Three's terms include the use of any personal data provided for the purposes of these credit checks, and making the execution of the check and any subsequent decision on whether to offer credit available to other providers/ lenders.

So in this case, anyone entering a contract with Three is giving their permission for credit checks to be carried out and recorded, and that data to be made available to any other body who want to run a credit check in the future. All above board and legal. The Data Protection Commissioner's site has guidance for consumers and data controllers.

Thank you Leo for this. I was certainly unaware that data could be shared in this manner by mobile companies.

However I still think that it is a stretch from this to saying a mobile phone bill issue could affect a mortgage application.

Secondly do you know if 3 or any other mobile provider can enter details of a disputed bill into such a database.

Thank you Leo for this. I was certainly unaware that data could be shared in this manner by mobile companies.

However I still think that it is a stretch from this to saying a mobile phone bill issue could affect a mortgage application.

No problem, it's an area I think a lot of consumers aren't well informed on. Combine that with the fact that the telcos are clearly taking advantage of their customers in imposing massive data and roaming costs and then pushing the limits of what's allowable in terms of enforcement and some people are finding themselves in trouble.

Secondly do you know if 3 or any other mobile provider can enter details of a disputed bill into such a database.

So long as the telco consider it a valid bill, once it's overdue, they can register it. What I don't know is at what point they might do so, they're the kinds of details the hold close to their chest.

Hi guys, see attached details they sent really love your opinion View attachment 1978
Just wondering what is best approach now, there was no more than 8 hours of time actually used and no warning that Bill was moving so high, is it worth getting onto something like FLAC or Citizens advice center? Or is there a consumer complaint avenue?

Just wondering what is best approach now, there was no more than 8 hours of time actually used and no warning that Bill was moving so high, is it worth getting onto something like FLAC or Citizens advice center? Or is there a consumer complaint avenue?

In the first post you stated there was a text stating that he had gone €2 over his allowance. It sounds like he only noticed this after the fact.

The 8 hours piece has no relevance, 4G phones can hit a peak download speed of 1Gbps.

Nearly 2GB's worth of mobile data in 8 hours is a huge amount. Was this a radio stream left on for the duration? You would want to get your facts straight. Date and times of termination of contract, details of any notifications/communications, if any. When did you realise etc. You will need to build a clear, cogent case and see if they will budge. But 2 gigs in 8 hours is a LOT given that many people have only 5GB or 10 GB to last them a month...

An iphone with that delightful new wifi assist feature turned on by default? I burnt through 80% of my monthly data allowance in 2 days when that first rolled out.

In the first post you stated there was a text stating that he had gone €2 over his allowance. It sounds like he only noticed this after the fact.

The 8 hours piece has no relevance, 4G phones can hit a peak download speed of 1Gbps.
The only warning that was given was by text stating he had gone 2E over , he was not in a bundle anymore and letter sent out states he was charged 1,431E for 1918 mb, surely that cant be right, agreed it maybe alot for the period he used it but should be more like what u pay for a month if using 2GB of data about 30E.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170621-000329.png
    Screenshot_20170621-000329.png
    508.6 KB · Views: 6
The only warning that was given was by text stating he had gone 2E over , he was not in a bundle anymore and letter sent out states he was charged 1,431E for 1918 mb, surely that cant be right, agreed it maybe alot for the period he used it but should be more like what u pay for a month if using 2GB of data about 30E.

They have no obligation to keep issuing further warnings. Once they issue a single warning, the responsibility moves to the consumer.

In relation to the cost, it has been widely reported for years about how excessive some of these data charges have been. They are unfortunately completely legal.

Three have offered a 30% discount today so we check with my brother to see what he thinks,

Update from huge phone bill, contacted Comreg who in turn contacted Three fone , Three rang today saying they made mistake and are sorry the bill should have been E13.49 .Just thought it might be helpful for someone in the future

Outrageous that Three made a billing error like that and only found the error when the regulator got involved.

Back