how will the recession affect you personally ?

Hey everything is cheaper her too and current wages same as home.
Plus its 23 deg by day in the "dead" of Winter .

Thanks for adding to the wave of depression over here. :)

A few of friends have done the same as you over the last few months and they have no regrets either apart from the obvious distance from family and friends. Think stories like this are going to become more and more common.

i have not looked back and am in a health mket here in Qld Aus wher my job options on arrival were just like 1999. Im living a better life than ever at home and am much happier.

Where or what is Qld Aus?

The posting guidelines forbid the use of text speak. Please don't use it.

Whats the difference between using acronyms like 'op' and using 'Qld Aus' :confused:

To me its obvious what both mean. The former is used all the time on this forum.

The difference between internet abbreviation protocols and text speak has been discussed several times on these pages previously. The posting guidelines do not forbid the former but they forbid the latter. Take it up with the mods on the Suggestions about AAM forum if you wish.

Rumours abound that a certain one of these top 5 Contractors is in trouble, obviously I don't think Moderator will allow mention of which one for obvious reasons, suffice to say that the rumour mill around Dublin has been gathering pace for some time now about a certain contractor in major trouble!!!

Similar rumour going about in Limerick and Galway.

Re: how will the recession affect you personally ?

partner and I self employed in own professional business services with 3 staff. started over 15 yrs ago when things were worse so hoping that we'll survive this. this time however, we have more borrowings to service (premises and residential mortgages). Phones and enquiries are distinctly quieter, some projects being postponed, customers v price conscious and money V. difficult to collect. From what I'm aware, we would be typical of the main type of private sme employer in Ireland %wise. If things really go south, we'll have to cut jobs. Right now, personally and professionally being very careful of expenditure and trying to maximise margin everywhere. i'm seriously thinking of not listening to morning ireland anymore as it's not putting me in a positive mood for the day!

The difference between internet abbreviation protocols and text speak has been discussed several times on these pages previously. The posting guidelines do not forbid the former but they forbid the latter. Take it up with the mods on the Suggestions about AAM forum if you wish.

How Pedantic!

Where or what is Qld Aus?

The posting guidelines forbid the use of text speak. Please don't use it.

Hey it is not my problem if your geographical education ceases at USA, EU, IRL, ESP, and does not extend to the 2nd largest Australian state of Queensland. Its not text speak, but a very normal acronym.

How about FR ? I bet you even know UAE, RSA and the former CCCP - prob from James Bond, or 007 ;-)

To confirm Aus = Australia as in Irl = Ireland.

That's a very interesting point and goes against my previous understanding that wage levels were to blame. The UK minimum wage is £5.52/€6.90 per hour. The ROI rate is €8.65 per hour - 25% higher.

What puzzles me about blaming property costs is the example where many prices in Tesco Enniskillen are cheaper than Tesco Cavan, even allowing for the 3.5% VAT difference.

The Tesco Enniskillen store was only built last year at the height of the NI property boom and must have cost them a fortune.

The Tesco Cavan store was built at least 15 years ago (maybe a good deal earlier) and has had barely more than a lick of paint, (and new Tesco signs to replace the old Quinnsworth ones) since then.

Given that property prices and construction costs are pretty much equal on both sides of the border (both pre- and post-credit crunch) I can't see how rents could differ THAT much?

Perhaps because they average property costs throughout an entire jurisdiction and a certain time frame. After all their prices are the same across an entire jurisdiction as far as I know.

To turn around your example, property costs are much higher in Dundrum than Cavan, yet the prices in both Tesco stores are identical. As far as I know, there is no separate "Tesco NI" business, it's part of Tesco UK. So
property prices in NI over the last two or three years probably make up a tiny cost of their average property costs in the UK over the last 5 years. And in general I think property costs on average in ROI are more expensive than average property costs in UK.

As to the original question, I work for an american multinational, so no saying how secure my job is.

That's a very interesting point and goes against my previous understanding that wage levels were to blame. The UK minimum wage is £5.52/€6.90 per hour. The ROI rate is €8.65 per hour - 25% higher.

What puzzles me about blaming property costs is the example where many prices in Tesco Enniskillen are cheaper than Tesco Cavan, even allowing for the 3.5% VAT difference.

The Tesco Enniskillen store was only built last year at the height of the NI property boom and must have cost them a fortune.

The Tesco Cavan store was built at least 15 years ago (maybe a good deal earlier) and has had barely more than a lick of paint, (and new Tesco signs to replace the old Quinnsworth ones) since then.

Given that property prices and construction costs are pretty much equal on both sides of the border (both pre- and post-credit crunch) I can't see how rents could differ THAT much?

I would imagine that the prices are the same in all UK Tesco stores, so even if they paid through the nose for a property in Enniskillen it is distributed across the entire sterling cost base.

Same in the south, a tin of beans or loaf of bread is the same in all stores I assume.

Am fairly text-illiterate, and my geographical abilities are fairly hazy as well - even still, I had no problem figuring out that abbreviation!

Quit your gibber-jabber over abbreviation and back to topic! I think it would be fair to conclude the whole economy is in recession but to analyse it a little further it would be true to say the Construction industry is in a little deeper and could be in a depression!

what do u mean when you say the public sector is cutting to the bone? no one is geting laid off

As I said: expenses etc which one relies on to help change car etc. No expenses = no need for up to date car = on the bright side - not ruining car with work related mileage no matter how well paid it seems!

I think it will effect me in so far as I will now make it my business to know the price of things like a coffee out, or groceries which i would have just glossed over in the past. It seems that now that things are gone back to belt-tightening i am back looking at this website - which i was when i was saving for a house deposit and wedding etc., when i got a bit more flush i decided that i did not want to be preoccupied with money issues :D
Working in a multinational now so nothing is certain but at least i have a job I like for the present anyway. DH is working in SME Irish owned so I now appreciate the benefits that i would have taken for granted!

Well, with the decline in conveyancing, my turnover/cashflow/income has simply gone through the floor so I will certainly be keeping a close eye on any spending. While as a family we were never spendthrifts, we were equally never short of anything and I don't see that changing.

I do have great sympathy for people who now ( unlike those of us lucky enough to have been born in the 60'3 and 70's and who by virtue almost exclusively of age group bought property at exceptionally reasonable prices) have mortgages where wage increases are unlikely to keep pace with mortgage repayments.

Equally, for some of my clients who are separating or divorcing and who are trying desperately to sell the family home at the kind of price that will enable them to move on, the downturn is horrendous. Not to mention the inability to discharge my fees from the proceeds of sale...........

mf

Well, with the decline in conveyancing, my turnover/cashflow/income has simply gone through the floor so I will certainly be keeping a close eye on any spending. While as a family we were never spendthrifts, we were equally never short of anything and I don't see that changing.
I do have great sympathy for people who now ( unlike those of us lucky enough to have been born in the 60'3 and 70's and who by virtue almost exclusively of age group bought property at exceptionally reasonable prices) have mortgages where wage increases are unlikely to keep pace with mortgage repayments.
Equally, for some of my clients who are separating or divorcing and who are trying desperately to sell the family home at the kind of price that will enable them to move on, the downturn is horrendous. Not to mention the inability to discharge my fees from the proceeds of sale...........
mf
For some reason, i feel its rare to read that sentiment on this board.
I am surrounded by 3 siblings who emigrated in the 80's and came back late 90's while I availed of the free third level education and now am now experiencing the choppy waters as they are comfortable. Because of this i was never allowed to loose the run of myself regarding the boom times like some of my friends so i just reckon this too will turn full circle.

Rumours abound that a certain one of these top 5 Contractors is in trouble, obviously I don't think Moderator will allow mention of which one for obvious reasons, suffice to say that the rumour mill around Dublin has been gathering pace for some time now about a certain contractor in major trouble!!!

Today, I spoke to with a director of the company I work for, he explained to me that a number of the top 10 contractors where heavley exposed to the property market due to their own private developments. We were not, so I was reasurring.

Joejoe

Very good JoeJoe, it appears you chose wisely when you joint this contracting company, my only fear is with the Government about to slash public spending, alot of the public projects such as schools and threatres will perhaps take a backseat till at least 2010, with roads and infrastructure being preferred, I cannot see a proliferation of commercial projects either -Hotels and Offices are most surely going to take a backseat, judging by your confidence I assume your employer is one of the big civil companies, if so happy days

Back