How to weather weather events.....

It's lovely here in Cork at the moment. The weather site I use (yr.no) is showing a bit of a non-event until 6pm...

[broken link removed]

The wind is picking up fallen snow which is merging with the snow that's currently falling... ladies and gentlemen, we have ourselves a blizzard.

Cork city still quiet....looks like it's going to snow soon but I think we mightnt get the worst of Emma ...

Odyssey - what part of the country are you in? still very quiet here... Seems it's "hit" the south east...

Clontarf... the wind is still howling, as strong as it ever gets here, but seems to have stopped actually snowing in the lst 30 minutes.

Edit: Wind has dropped in last 5 minutes.. I'm guessing this is the brief calm before Emma makes full appearance.

Last edited:
There's nowt 'appining int mid West, it were all just a wheeze wunt it ....sorry Emmerdale just came on, I like go full Zak Dingle

Still nothing here. Forecast was snow from 7pm onwards but it's like that Guinness Christmas ad out there at the moment....

Plenty of snow overnight and snowing softly now. No sign of Emma though, so just the nice bits.

Hmmmmmm . . . . .just rose from my warm bed and shoved on the kettle for a quick cup of Barry's before I venture down the road with the dog. It's still snowing outside; I don't know if Emma struck Cork as I slept through from about 9.00pm. But, the landscape looks magnificent. However, I'm glad to hear from RTE News on the radio that Emma has now cleared the country. So I am relieved that Purple and all the Irish people that matter (i.e. those who live in the Pale and the greater Pale area) survived whatever the weather threw at them. I am heartened that RTE news coverage was nationwide instead of the usual panic if Dublin only is affected and the non coverage if Dublin is not affected.

Although my union subscription ceased on my retirement they were good enough to email me advising that the HSE concedes that "Emergency" leave with pay would be afforded to staff who could not travel because of the conditions, but added any time not worked would have to be worked up before the end of the year. Fair play to the HSE for such thoughtful sentiments. Nothing like our Health Service to instill staff bonding when necessary.

On a more serious note a dreadful accident happened in a city suburb yesterday when a boy was taking a picture of the landscape slipped from a small wall and suffered what could be some dreadful life changing injury to himself. Our hearts must go out to him and his family.

Officially snowed in here. Very glad to be indoors and warm.

Fair play to all our medical and emergency services staff.

On a more serious note a dreadful accident happened in a city suburb yesterday when a boy was taking a picture of the landscape slipped from a small wall and suffered what could be some dreadful life changing injury to himself. Our hearts must go out to him and his family.

Yes, very sad indeed.

Wasn't much snow here in D3 after 6pm last night, but it's coming down now in a swirl...snow about 1 foot deep, in some places the wind has blown it into 2 foot piles.

Edit: Visually it's amazing... it's like the snowflakes aren't landing, just caught in the air, up, down, sideways, swirling around.

Last edited:
Back