How to weather weather events.....

DeclanDublin

I hate winter. I despise snow, ice and cold, and blasting winds. Ye can keep yer cosy fireside chats and toasted marshmallows and tobogganing. I wished I lived in a warm country. Having said all that, I kinda love the way we get our drawers totally in a knot over weather 'events'. I love the way we both underplay them,(describing the catastrophic weather as mere 'events'); and the way we overplay it; round de clock news reports by harried journalists almost in tears on de telly - step forward Teresa Mannion. We clear the shops of bread, milk and batteries. If thermonuclear war ever does break out de Paddies will inherit (what's left) of the earth. Wots yer take on it all?

I'm fortunate in that I can work from home, so that means I avoid some of the worst of the hassle of getting into work. The downside of that of course is that when other people can't work, I am still working, like during Hurricane Ophelia when our main office was shut.

Also, I think over a weekend I could enjoy a snowfall - from the cosy indoors. A walk outside on fresh fallen snow in the calm after the storm.

The problem will be if it lingers and turns into ice like back in 2010 (?) ... that was just a pain in the backside for about a week.

The TV news agencies are loving it... actual stuff to show! They have the same number of hours to broadcast if there's nothing happening, or something happening. This is at least something visual happening.

The Beast from the East is causing me a world of pain.....I planted new daffs last Autumn and they are almost in bloom but now I fear the worst.

The Beast from the East is causing me a world of pain.....I planted new daffs last Autumn and they are almost in bloom but now I fear the worst.
and those people in Syria think they have problems!

According to the Indo the East of the country (where most of the people and nearly everyone that matters live) will get 50cm of snow (that's 19.68" in old money) on Thursday and Friday. That's a fair bit alright. Pets should either be brought indoors or shot before then.

Queues for bread and milk are forming with outbreaks of panic like a Nutella sale in France.

Ah, one of the biggest LIDLs in Dublin... no sliced pans left at 430 pm, no skimmed milk, half the meat fridges empty... initiate plan b... bakery bread, oven bread, long life skimmed milk and full beef joint instead of beef pieces... estimate my stocks now sufficient to last 1 week.

This may be my last communication for some time.

I shall leave you with the words of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, my tent mate here...
“There's an east wind coming all the same, such a wind as never blew on England yet. It will be cold and bitter, Watson, and a good many of us may wither before its blast. But it's God's own wind none the less and a cleaner, better stronger land will lie in the sunshine when the storm has cleared.”

God save the King!

Well the dog scraped through last night which is just as well as the plan is to eat her before moving on to the children...

Getting pretty bad here now in Cork. Cloves & lemons at the ready!

Hope everyone keeps safe...

For once the East coast is getting it worse than the West and South West though the Midlands will probably be coldest.
We are closing at 2pm in work today.

Hoping that things do thaw out - temperatures aren't supposed to rise too much in the coming days, could be stuck with ice on the roads into next week ...

Back