How to insulate this kitchen

I have LVT in my kitchen and love it, they are tile shape and colour rather than any sort of wood effect and they are glue down. I extended the kitchen in 2020, previously had vinyl floor covering which I also loved (dislike hard tiles and wood effect of any sort) but new vinyl for the extended kitchen would have required a join and I didnt fancy that. Someone suggested LVT to me and it is ideal for what I wanted. Kitchen floor needed levelling compound first as I was adamant it had to be flat and level as there had been a few small bumps in vinyl which annoyed me.

It wasn't cheap and I left the utility room out but did that myself at a later stage, bought a few packs of same tiles and levelling compound etc, perfect job but it is a small utility room. As I was doing everything as economically as possible and with my aversion to tiles/grout etc I also then used the LVT tiles as a splashback other than behind the hob which I painted. I also used them face the kickboards which gives a nice look too.

That's my tuppence worth on LVT!
 
There is no way I’d put wood on a kitchen floor. In my recent refurb I purchased Lino that looks like tiles. I’d been impressed in a siblings house with the modern version. Very pleased with how soft and warm it is, while it looks exactly like tiles. The workmen all loved it s well, said they find tiles cold. The floor was level etc. The underlay was not needed because it was in the Lino, something like that, anyway I love it.

I’ll pm you the window company we used as Burgess does not allow us to mention them, whether that be good or bad.

Get your kitchen measured and fitted by one company. Then all problems are on them. Same with double glazing. Can you draw us your outline plan.
 
Hi @Bronte below is a rough layout of the new kitchen. Need to make a couple of changes yet, will add a vertical radiator to the back wall and reduce the number of units there. Also planning to reduce the width of the bench on the left and add an extra unit there:


1779706160740.webp
 
Well it opens up the space by getting rid of the dividing wall. I think it also allows for good movement and flow, as there's nothing in the middle of the floor. Any thoughts? Something tells me you're not too keen on it :p
 
In my recent refurb I purchased Lino that looks like tiles. I’d been impressed in a siblings house with the modern version. Very pleased with how soft and warm it is, while it looks exactly like tiles. The workmen all loved it s well, said they find tiles cold.
I'm interested what this super lino is called and where and what price and did they lay it for you ?
 
Well it opens up the space by getting rid of the dividing wall. I think it also allows for good movement and flow, as there's nothing in the middle of the floor. Any thoughts? Something tells me you're not too keen on it :p
You know me too well! LOL.

Have you an each wall view please. From the ground rather than an over head from birds view.

Is the fridge near the door, top right, or is that still the washing machine room? I’m confused about how you’re getting from hall into kitchen. It’s stupid to leave middle of room space unless there’s a valid reason. No window over sink? But massive doors in a space you said is cold. Vertical radiator is good, we installed two at more expense to not ‘lose’ wall space. But I’m unsure of the ‘look’ of that on the left with two floor to ceiling units. I had a massive fight with my renovating child who wanted to fit everything in and thought putting units right to door frame was a great idea. They were wrong. You really really have to spend time figuring out flow…

Don’t think reducing eating space to put in another unit is sensible, sounds cramped in that section while you’ve an empty middle space.

Did you go to kitchen places for design options?
 
Last edited:
I don't have views from the ground as such, this is all I got. I have a person doing the design for me, waiting to get the final update from them and I'll go to kitchen places then. The final update will involve moving the rad to the back wall and making the bench an L shape, also reducing the bench a bit to fit another unit there. That will be 3 seating places on the couch plus 2 more on kitchen chairs which I think will be enough.
Yes the fridge is near the door top right in the first pic, plus a second one top left as I have 2 for when there are people staying and I keep my food separate.
Ya I'm not sure how the rad will look beside the two units, but I'm kind of limited as to where it can go.

1779715214742.webp


1779715236006.webp
 
Ok went back to your original pictures, you can not put the fridge beside the door. Ironically I’m currently renting and one of my kitchen doors, is right behind the fridge, it’s a disaster.
 
You need to go to a couple of kitchen companies for quotes, they’ll do up drawings for you. Give you good ideas.
I’m not seeing the logic of the four panel door out, you’re losing light in the main kitchen area, fridge will not work. If you lose one door panel put fridge there, or on three panel rad wall. Where is the washing machine. Bins? Looks like you’re losing corner space to left of sink. Where is the cutlery drawer…

You’d do a better job yourself on the plans using the ikea app thing.
 
Ok, so you would make the sliding door narrower and put the fridge to the right of the sink? The cutlery drawer is to the left of the hob and oven. The bins will be under the sink and the washing machine is under the stairs which isn't visible in the design. I might move it to the shed if it can be plumbed correctly.

When you say you don't see the logic of the four panel door out and losing light, do you mean it should be wider?
 
Last edited:
1779788510139.webp
It comes in a roll, you can see the cut offs in top left. It looks completely like tiles, really nice look IMO, but soft and warm - I stayed there some time so walked it barefoot. Time will tell how it works in a rental. Price I'll have to double check because that's a huge file. Purchased from a smallish carpet shop that also had lino. It was slightly thicker, I'd gone to other shops, but found this quality suited me. We're trying not to go cheap cheap in an effort to be an upmarket professional landlord. It's beautiful to sweep and wash. Got the guys to put it under the kitchen units as well, and under the fridge. Pelmet taken off obviously.
 
Laminate (Kingspan) in bedrooms/living etc, had a great carpenter. There's an underlay to this, it had a gold backing, can't remember the name. You buy it by the roll. Liked the colour, hope it's hard wearing, lovely to walk on. It seemed to be the same price this brand as I noticed it in the closest builders providers (mostly for the trade) near us, but we bought it in an upmarket tile shop.

1779788770157.webp
 
This is lino going under units, if I'd been there myself I'd have made them put it right to the wall. I hoovered/swept as much out of under there before they came to install it. It's unreal what mess can be left behind if you don't constantly follow up.

Discovered to my surprise that nowadays the electricians let the sockets for washing machines etc hang loose, (so when you pull them out it's easier) that was all tidied up afterwards as I don't like things loose. Soon after this we discovered the plumber had not connected the upstairs sink to the downstairs, he tried to blame the kitchen guys .....

1779789170123.webp
 
When you say you don't see the logic of the four panel door out and losing light, do you mean it should be wider?
Your going to have to put a lot of thought into this. My view and yours and your builders may be entirely different. It also depends what you want. And depends on what is possible. But you said it's cold. So if you put in more glass are your winters in that room not going to be still extremely cold. You have to really really think about where everything goes. I'd reduce the windows and put a window over the sink, because now you're taking away a window and then the kitchen area may lose light.

The two vertical rads are good. Especially that you have one beside the eating area, generally in the kitchen section it will heat up due to cooking, so putting the heating over by the eating area will help your heat issue, as will the second rad, and you should put in a second rad.
 
Back
Top