How to get car fixed after minor accident outside insurance

iamaspinner

I was hit from behind a few days ago. We were driving very slowly. Nobody was injured. The driver accepted it was his fault and apologised. It was all very civilised. I took his details and phone number.

There is a clear long dent on the boot lid that I would like to get fixed. I would like to give the driver the possibility of settling it without involving insurance companies. My guess is that it wouldn't be very expensive.

How do I go about this?

Just in case you haven't already done so, make sure your insurer is informed immediately. You need to do that any time there is the prospect of a claim. You don't need to claim through either insurance, but just in case something serious (and expensive) is uncovered later, they are likely to refuse cover if they weren't informed in line with their terms.

In terms of settling amicably, you can get a quote for the work and send it on to the other party. If they are happy with that quote and trust you absolutely, they may choose to pay you directly or pay the garage performing the repair.

Not your concern, but from the other party's perspective there is a lot of risk with this approach. In paying for this repair they are getting no guarantee whatsoever that this will be the end of it and they risk subsequent claims for other damage only uncovered during the repair or even a personal injuries claim.

How do I go about this?
Just go a dent repairer, get it fixed, and pay them. Ask the other driver to recompense you.

I was hit from behind a few days ago. We were driving very slowly. Nobody was injured. The driver accepted it was his fault and apologised. It was all very civilised. I took his details and phone number.

There is a clear long dent on the boot lid that I would like to get fixed. I would like to give the driver the possibility of settling it without involving insurance companies. My guess is that it wouldn't be very expensive.
Just to warn you, the same thing happened us about 15 years ago, and we did the same thing. The problem was our car was never the same again. Every time there was heavy rain, volumes of water used leak into the boot.

Similar happend 20 years ago. Bit of damage to boot, I wanted to go through insurance but he wanted to settle privately, he then asked for three quotes at which point I told him not a chance am I wasting my time and it would be a quote from my regular garage, he agreed, got the quote, then he accused me of trying to rip him off. At that point discussion ended and went through his insurance.
Never again will I entertain such requests. As per previous poster let your insurer know immediately about the accident.

Thank you all for the replies.

When I contact my insurer, will they ask me for details of the other party's insurance? If so, will that prevent us for resolving this amicably and without insurers?

If we don't involve insurers, I am worried that they might agree to pay the bill, regardless of who chooses the repairer, and then refuse to do it. Is there a way to prevent that?

Yes they will ask you for all other drivers details but again it doesn't mean you have to claim off insurance. As advised you should/must inform your insurer asap - other driver doesn't need to know if you have given their details - insurance company won't take any action until you want to take the claim forward.

How much damage is there? If its a relatively minor (ie not structural) fix then get the quote (use a repairer approved by your insurance company in case you need to claim) and agree with other party that they will be settling the bill itself - its always a gamble but you can still pursue through your insurance if they don't pay up. At the end of the day you have their address and details - if done amicably they probably will pay up. If it becomes hassle at any point just calmly let them know that you'd prefer your insurance to handle it.

A warning - the quote will usually be for more than you both expect - if its a very expensive fix its best done through insurance - not just for payment but also to ensure any future probs with boot or paint can be fixed too

Thank you Farma1.

I have informed my insurer. I should get a call from a handler in the next day or two.

In the meantime I will pop into a repairer nearby to get a quote.

Go to a body repair garage. Ace Autobody are an example https://aceautobody.ie/ and have great reputation.

A regular garage will simply outsource to a body shop and add 50% or more for the convenience.
I had the opposite experience when a car took too long to stop on a narrow road and slid into mine (I was already stopped) several years ago.

The body shop owner gave me a verbal quote of €1200 for replacing 4 panels.

The garage owner took out a rag and a spray, sprayed the 4 areas marked by the collision, and within seconds had removed all traces of the "damage" on 3 of the 4 areas, while leaving a only tiny dent visible on the fourth. He refused to charge.

It turns out we have the same insurer, so hopefully that will make things easier and it will all work out for everybody. The handler was very helpful (so far). Plus there's an approved repairer quite close to me.

So after a few weeks I got the heads up from Axa to bring the car to the shop to be repaired, which they did. I think they changed the whole bootlid. The price was in excess of €1700.

I never asked if the other party was 100% liable. I am worried that I may have been held partially liable.

I want to make sure where I stand because the time will come when I will have to renew my insurance and I will be asked if I made any claims and I want to give the right answer.

I am going to make a phone call, but I am not sure who I should call: The broker, the man in the middle KennCo or Axa themselves. Any ideas?

And what exactly should I ask?

I am going to make a phone call, but I am not sure who I should call: The broker, the man in the middle KennCo or Axa themselves. Any ideas?

Go for written confirmation instead by sending an e-mail. You know their name so it should read something like [email protected]

Let them know that as you were hit from behind it was not your fault. Their driver admitted liability immediately. You want them to confirm that you will not be held responsible in any way for this accident and you would like them to confirm that your no claims bonus record will not be affected in the future.

And what exactly should I ask?
Speak with whoever gave you the nod to bring the car in, saying you just want to confirm that the repairs will be covered by the other party’s insurance, not yours.

Sounds like You’ve done this posterior about face.

So you have claimed off your own insurance policy, and now hope the the person who hit you

1) has taken full responsibility
2) has cover in place

Just to note, you have now made a claim on your policy, your policy is affected until liability has been accepted.
No amount of calling claims handler’s to state your case will change this.

If the car was driving fine with cosmetic damage, I would have pursued the other driver’s insurance policy for repairs.

When your insurance cover is up for renewal, and you look else where for a more competitive quote, you need to make it known you had a claim on your policy. I wonder will there be a loading as it may affect the quote.

I recently had someone scratch the side of my parked car in the parking lot at work. They left me a note with their contact details.
I chatted to a local autobody shop and they quoted me for the repair if we arrange directly and flagged that the insurance adjuster (? Or whatever) might bill it differently and tgere could be delays getting work completed.
I arranged to get work done and person just sent me the money. Honestly didn't feel in this case it warranted getting insurance involved. I know someone who has a case pending past few years and cant change insurance company til its settled.

Sounds like You’ve done this posterior about face.

So you have claimed off your own insurance policy, and now hope the the person who hit you

1) has taken full responsibility
2) has cover in place

Just to note, you have now made a claim on your policy, your policy is affected until liability has been accepted.
No amount of calling claims handler’s to state your case will change this.

If the car was driving fine with cosmetic damage, I would have pursued the other driver’s insurance policy for repairs.

When your insurance cover is up for renewal, and you look else where for a more competitive quote, you need to make it known you had a claim on your policy. I wonder will there be a loading as it may affect the quote.
That has me worried. Does all that apply considering we both have the same insurer?

I will be making a phone call in the next couple of days to hear it straight from the horse's mouth.

Back