How to get car fixed after minor accident outside insurance

As LS400 said, I claimed off my own policy but in this case the claim will be paid through the other driver's policy.

My claim is now closed and won't affect me when renewing the policy with my current insurer.

BUT I will have to say yes to the question of whether I have any claims against my policy when shopping around. Hopefully renewal of current policy will be the cheapest as it has been for the last few years.

Live and learn!

Again, thank you all for your comments. Much appreciated!

BUT I will have to say yes to the question of whether I have any claims against my policy when shopping around.
Will you though?

The claim (yours against your own policy) didn’t ultimately proceed because it was otherwise settled by reference to the other party’s policy.

If your policy hasn’t had a related payout, you shouldn’t be penalised or disadvantaged.

Will you though?

The claim (yours against your own policy) didn’t ultimately proceed because it was otherwise settled by reference to the other party’s policy.
Yes, look at the wording of the question asked on the forms. They ask whether you have made any claims against your own or any other person's policy in the last X years.

Yes, look at the wording of the question asked on the forms. They ask whether you have made any claims against your own or any other person's policy in the last X years.

The claim didn’t proceed to payout so the OP shouldn’t suffer a loading.

The claim didn’t proceed to payout so the OP shouldn’t suffer a loading.
We're talking about when they go to shop around for cover in future years. The claim they made on the other driver's policy must be declared to all other insurers when seeking quotes for a number of years. Those insurers will then seek full details prior to offering a quote.

We're talking about when they go to shop around for cover in future years. The claim they made on the other driver's policy must be declared to all other insurers when seeking quotes for a number of years. Those insurers will then seek full details prior to offering a quote.
And what I was talking about is that because the claim didn’t proceed to payout, it shouldn’t ultimately penalise the OP.

Neither should the submission of a claim discourage or be considered a limitation to the OP’s capacity to seek alternative quotes at the time of renewal.

Just as a heads up on using the facility of your comprehensive cover, when your not at fault.

You are encouraged to use this facility by your provider, even when it’s clear your not at fault.

I believe it’s based on retention at renewal. As stated, you must declare you have made a claim on your policy when shopping around. The fact you weren’t at fault is secondary. You made a claim..full stop. This stays on your record history for a number of years.

You will see on your renewal a section stating— Number of Claims made in the last 5 years… doesn’t come wilt a little note stating , it was the other lads fault..

It’s for this reason I recommend not using the encouraged facility by your provider if at all possible.

And what I was talking about is that because the claim didn’t proceed to payout, it shouldn’t ultimately penalise the OP.
In theory no, in practice I've heard otherwise. If a claim against another party had no effect whatsoever on the quotes an insurer will offer, they wouldn't be so insistent on gathering full details prior to even considering offering a quote.

Neither should the submission of a claim discourage or be considered a limitation to the OP’s capacity to seek alternative quotes at the time of renewal.
Not a reason not to claim, but an active claim will pretty much rule out any other insurer offering cover.

Does it make much difference to have two claims as opposed to one when shopping around at renewal?

Last edited:
Back