How to deal with salary question at interview

MandaC

I applied for a position and have a first interview next week. There is no indication of salary given and I am not sure how to deal with a question on salary, if it arises.

I am paid a good salary in my current position and if possible would like to keep as close to that as possible.

If they ask what type of salary are you looking for is it suffice to say "market rates", or should I elaborate. Or should I say, I am currently on €X........ and am looking in that region.

I have a feeling the postion would be paying in the region of my current salary(they are looking for someone with a min. of 8 years experience)

I just dont know the best way to deal with this one. Any advice?

Truthseeker, that seems a good way to handle it.

I'm not interested in trying to bump up my salary by a couple of grand, so I can safely say I am on X. I just dont want to miss out on a good opportunity longterm on account of a couple of grand now. Also, the location would suit, and whilst I would my current salary in the city centre, as you go further out, they appear to get slightly less. I have just been lucky with my current position that they have been great in every respect.

I think I will wait and see at the interview in more detail and then I will be able to judge whether we are on the same wavelength or not, salarywise and position wise.

Its a pain looking for jobs at the moment.!

If you simply dont want to go below a certain figure then you can certainly say 'im currently on xxx, obviously I wouldnt be interested in going below that figure, what kind of sum are you offering?'

Say ‘’if you were offered the position you would be willing to negotiate a suitable remuneration package and that you would expect this to reflect the current market and the level of education and experience you have''

Get the point home thats its not all about the salary but the other perks aswell i.e. share schemes, laptops, mobile phones, flexi-time, health cover, working from home - this way they will think you are not just along for the big salary (which will be taxed to death anyhow)

If all else fails tell them that if they pay peanuts they will have monkeys working for them!

I'd be very up-front about it. If they ask what you're on and you say X rather than something wooly like "Market Rates" then at least both of you will know where you stand and whether the gap is too large to bridge. I'd also make it clear though that when looking at a job you look at it in it's entirety like Yeager said. They might not be able to offer you exactly the same money but if they were to come to an arrangement about flexible working hours it might swing it for you. Don't be too quick to loffer these though, remember getting a job is about negotiation and it may be possible for you to get the salary you want and these things on top!! If they ask you what salary you want I'd try and ask them what the salary range for the job is and where they think you would sit in that range, it's very difficult to avoid the question if they ask you out straight what you're on though!!
Looking at your post though it doesn't seem you don't seem that unhappy with your current employer so if there's some part of your job you aren't happy with I'd make sure and exhaust every avenue there before leaving, maybe they can give you flexi time or working from home if that's what you want.

As others have said - I believe it is important to be straightforward and upfront. In my experience the salary question is usually late in the interview and you should have a sense by then of hoew you have done and how interested they are in you.

As stated you may tell them what you are currently on but how does that resemble the new positions role and responsibilities ? It cannot. I like the American up front approach but here in Ireland it seems to be taboo to mention money. Normaly i say that what i am cuurently on is x (slightly higher than actual) and that i would be looking for offers of Y and upwards but not less than Y. Base Y on a number of factors to justify the figure, if they want you and value you they will pay it out.

I like the American up front approach but here in Ireland it seems to be taboo to mention money.
I disagree. I find that most reasonable prospective employers will appreciate you not wasting their time by beating around the bush but instead being up front about your expectations on salary etc.

Will play it by and see how interview goes. It is only a first interview, so salary might not even get a mention, but I just want feedback to ensure we are in the same bracket. I may not even like the position.

By the way, went for an interview last week. Salary ok, conditions good, security good, interview went well and then was told - up here dont mix with the staff on the floor, or sit for lunch, etc, so said no, thats not the way I operate.

I would normally be very direct and hate beating round the bush, so that's why I want to be careful how I phrase these things.

Btw, I am not unhappy with present employer, in fact, its been great, but company being sold off, merged, whatever and whilst offered position in new location, is not going to suit.

...interview went well and then was told - up here dont mix with the staff on the floor, or sit for lunch, etc,...

Might seem elitist or something to you, but I think this is a fairly common philosophy - I've encountered this attitude a lot. Really, despite the 'us and them' mindset, it can be a sensible and practical approach in certain circumstances too.

where do you mix with them then?:D

Can't insert smiley!

Caveat, I agree that it can be a sensible approach in some circumstances and probably plays out a lot in reality by default, but the way it came across was that there would be a fair bit of paranoia (from certain quarters), some of whom I would have had to work directly with. There was also an element of (don't do my job) so if you were quiet, they would prefer you sit there than offer to help anybody else. It was just not for me. Maybe I am just being naieve, or foolish (as I turned down the offer of second interview)

Because I am currently in a very small company (less than 10), there is no room for an us and them mentality. Even from the bosses. Its a company that needs teamwork to be successful. Would think the them and us mindset to be more prevalent in larger organisations, so might be better sticking to smaller companies.

I hate this job hunting!

Might seem elitist or something to you, but I think this is a fairly common philosophy - I've encountered this attitude a lot. Really, despite the 'us and them' mindset, it can be a sensible and practical approach in certain circumstances too.
I can't imagine too many circumstances in which a strict "them and us" policy is a good idea to be honest.

I can't imagine too many circumstances in which a strict "them and us" policy is a good idea to be honest.

No, not too many maybe and generally I wouldn't support the idea, but perhaps certain sections of the pharmachem industries where sensitive research data may be at risk via loose talk? Government depts/agencies and their ancillary staff too.

Again, I don't necessarily support the approach, but I can see that it might be viewed as good practice by management on occasion.

At a recent enough job interview I was asked this question and my reply was 'Well, my present salary is X (inflated by 10%) and people don't generally move for less money so that would be my position on salary'. I was offered the position so it worked for me.

As a slightly different view and as an employer I would suggest you try this tack: DON'T speak about salary. Refuse to engage on the matter. The purpose of the interview is to ascertain whether or not you are the best candidat, not whether your are the best value candidate.
So, when asked "What are your salary expectations?" You should answer "I'm interested to take on the challenge presented by this position and to work with your company/organisation.outfit/mob. I believe that I bring the following skills/competences/etc to the role. If you decide that I'm the best candidate for the position following this interview then I'd certainly be delighted at that time to consider the full range of any offer including the salary element that the company might make."

remember it's a negotiation even in the interview! So, don't show your hand! A good interviewer will think - this person knows what they are at - and will ask again "Can you give an indication of what you might expect?" At this point you MUST answer "Should you see that my skills (and name your skills) provide the best fit for this job then I'd be happy to engage in an open manner on any offer that the company might make at that time but at this point I simply wish to prove to you that I'm the best candidate with the experience of (name the experience) to do this job the best." ON this one if you blink you lose. They will not refuse to give you the job on the basis of you refusing to provide them with your current salary details.

In an interview I asked the question first, "have you got a salary range in mind for the position?"

I got offered the job.

Joejoe

Back