How the hell did Bush get back in??

purple,

Just to challenge some of your views (in a civil manner)...you make some good points but I find myself disagreeing with some of them.

We in Ireland, and western Europe in general, live in a fairytale world of peace, justice and universal rights. We think anyone who threatens or attempts to restricts these rights for others is the "bad guy".

We've only known peace in Ireland for a relatively short period of time. As for the fairytale - only if you're doing okay for yourself.

The reality is that we only live in this fairytale world because there are ruthless and brutal people out there killing and oppressing in our names. Anyone who doesn't see that is an idiot.

I see your point but I think this is a little simplistic at the same time.

We are/were protecting our interests. The US is protesting her interests, which happen to be ours as well; we need cheap oil, we need US investment.

If this is referring to Iraq I don't see our need for oil as any sort of justification for this mess. You might think it sounds indignant of me but I happen to care more about people than I do about the oil in my car - and not invading Iraq would not mean I wouldn't be able to start my car tomorrow.

What is happening in Iraq is terrible.
It is only because America behaves in this way and keeps the real world away from our fairytale one that we can have the luxury of taking abstract moralistic stances.

I'm not sure of the point you're making here. Are you saying that what is happening in Iraq is terrible but at teh same time America has to do it so we can live out our fairytale lives? If so I strongly disagree. That is making out this war to in some way have been inevitable and we should all accept it because we have to.

And before anyone says that they would live in poverty to save the planet ask yourselves this; Would you see your children die from the same diseases that 2/3rds of the world see their children die from in order to saith your moral pains?

I think that's a bit melodramatic and pre-supposes that we must wage unjust wars so that our children won't starve.
That's a correlation that just doesn't exist.

We are rich because they are poor, we are free because they are not (real democracy can only function in a rich country).

I tend to agree (reluctantly) agree with some of that - but it doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for what's best for everyone - not just us.

That's the way the world is. We all have blood on our hands.
Live with it and stop pretending we really give a s**t.

You do not speak for everyone with that comment.

Re: Insults over.

Time to call a halt to the insults. Thread closed.

Back