How the hell did Bush get back in??

S

soc

I'm sorry but I have to ask!!!

I mean, EVERY person that I have ever spoken to about the election prior to election day wanted Kerry to win - even Americans visiting here were ashamed of Bush, and hoped that he would lose the election. What the heck did he do to win??

Is it only the rich and simple folk that voted??

I'm sorry but I'm peeved that he got in - I can't believe we've got to put up 4 more years of him! :mad

I just needed to vent my frustration somewhere!

soc

kerry

It was mentioned during the week that 90% of republicans are in favour of the war, 80% of democrats are against it, everyone else is just scared of terrorists. As Bush is perceived to be more capable a defender of the country then Kerry, theres your answer,

I would say that its the americans country not ours or anyone elses. He won not just the collegiate vote but the majority vote too so thats incontestable this time round as well.

If youre annoyed at the fact that bushs tactics of preemptive strikes have heightened the chances of a terrorist strike in the first place, have a read of chomskys http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0896086852/qid=1099515398/sr=8-5/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i5_xgl14/103-3175114-0747804?v=glance&s=books&n=507846 (pirates and emporers) to get a better understanding of whats going on in the world.

I know you said that you dont know americans here who were up for bush, but on questions and answers the other night, there were americans in audience who were asked who they were up for, theyed all voted for bush by absentee proxy, so maybe we're all missing something.

kerry

"I would say that its the americans country not ours or anyone elses."

As much as we may deny it, the vote for the American president is the vote for the world leader!

Fact is, he won because more people wanted him to be preseident than didn't.

I also have the feeling that maybe the movie Farenheit 9/11 worked in his favour, too much adversity seems to have turned the full circle.

Looks like we will just have to get on with it!

Re: kerry

It amazes me that we have such an anti-Bush - if not anti-American lobby in the media in this country. They try to tell us the whole world almost is against Bush. Not so : he is broadly approved of in places like China, India etc etc

Anyway, I am glad that Bush got in. The west is a safer place than if Kerry got in. Kerry was even against the FIRST gulf war - the one to liberate Kuwait - at the time, despite a UN resolution backing the war. He changed his mind on it since.

Democracy is great, lets hope the US helps make Iraq the first democratic Arab country.

Re: Bush

Lads, this also happened in Oz. The opposition made the fatal mistake of thinking the chattering classes and the street protesting loonies represented a majority anti Iraq war sentiment.

Kerry made a grave grave error in being anti war. The progress of the war is not popular with anyone but the majority of right minded citizens in Oz and now in the USA have shown that they know that the responsible thing to do is to continue with the job.

This bodes very well for Tony Blair's electoral chances. He can safely ignore the liberal lefty pseudo intellectual anti American lobby - they make a lot of noise but not a lot of sense.

If Europe got to vote for him he'd be lucky to get 10% of the vote. But that matters little.
The main reasons he got elected were
(1) Religion.
He's got strong religious faith and bases his policies on that e.g. opposition to gay marriage, banning the cloning of embryos for stem cell research, etc. This meant religious people came out to vote for him in record numbers.
(2) Strong hispaniac vote.
(3) He plan to lower taxes appealed to everyone.
(4) Security. The American people feel safer in their homes at night knowing Bush is fighting the war on terror and it matters little that its misguided and unjust.

Re: .

The pro Bush vote in Europe would definitely be more than 10%. There are some religous people in Europe too, like it or not, not that this is the issue.

What matters most is that he got most of the votes where in counts - in the U. S. The war on terror is not unjust and misguided, it is regimes like Saddam Husseins and Bin Lades which were unjust and misguided.

It wasn't just that America wanted Bush, it was that America didn't want a pro abortion, pro gay marriage, pro human embryo stem cell research east coast liberal who's wife is a billionaire. That's just not what most Americans stand for.
Hillary Clinton won't get in next time either, she is hated by the Bush/Republican base and is seen as too much of a liberal.

"Don't underestimate Hilary. Outside of New York she's not that well liked (supposedly), but just wait til we've had four more years of Bush and the economy degenerates even more and the Clintons wheel out the marketing men to bolster Hilary. I think Hilary could stand a chance (if she can appeal to ultra-conservative America)."

I can't see Hilary appealing to 200000 unemployed steal workers in Ohio, that's not gonna happen. And all those conservatives, especially male, who vote republican because they always have, will definitely not change their mind.

The only thing that might get the republicans out is 4 more years of economic disaster and a good democratic contender; I would suggest Wesley Clark. Democrats will have to start campaigning now and not in 3 1/2 years to make sure that people can make educated decision rather than one blinded by fear of terror/Saddam/etc.

On the bright side: 4 more years of stupid faces, Bushisms and mocking stupid yanks (this is not a generalization).

Dan The Man, I agree, no more politics, just Rugby.

Hilliary Clinton hasn't a snowball's hope of being the Democrat nomination. We all saw what even having a female running mate has done to a candidate.
Hilliary is one of only 13 women in the Senate. So there's no hope is there of a female president not for at least 50 years anyway.

How many female MP's were there in Britain in 1979?

Quote:
stupid yanks (this is not a generalization).

why not?

Good point, how can 59 million people be so stupid?

There still are some decent, intelligent and very frinedly Americans. Seems like alot of them are leaving the country though.

Re:Bush

George Dubya Bush... In Cork he'd be known as a Langer

(all together now)...

a Langer
a Langer
..in Cork he'd be known as a Langer

Bush's overt homophobia, and his antediluvian views on women's rights to control their fertility means that the liberal agenda in the US, and consequently the rest of the English speaking world, has been pushed back decades.

Just to re-itterate my earlier post from this morning...

Bush won the election for many reasons:

(1) Kerry was a terrible candidate. America's answer to John Major. Edwards (although young) would have made a much better opponent. Kerry also ran a crappy campaign.
(2) Bush ran his politics of fear ticket to the T.
(3) Bush managed to appeal to and rally together all the fundamentalist Christians.
(4) The republicans ran a very tight campaign.
(5) America obviously decided that they'd miss the monkey faces and those eloquent speeches far too much.

purple, you made a point in another post which is right on the button. You summed up precisely what it means to be anti-Bush. Osama Bin Laden must be celebrating with some glee today in his cave. Things could not be going any better for him were he trying.
This is why America is so split over this. Expect more fear politics, more terrorism than we've had before and an ever widening rift between America and the rest of the world over the next four years.

Bush's overt homophobia, and his antediluvian views on women's rights to control their fertility means that the liberal agenda in the US, and consequently the rest of the English speaking world, has been pushed back decades.
I do not wish to defend Bush but in general many many people would disagree with the notion that having a pro-life stance is antediluvian.

Unfortunately, that's why Bush got back in.

He preyed on people's desire to impose their own moral code on others. Whether or not you agree with a woman's right to choose, you have no right to impose that view on a woman with an undesired pregnancy.

Whether or not you agree with a woman's right to choose, you have no right to impose that view on a woman with an undesired pregnancy.
In fact the opposite is true. Pro-life people view the destruction of the unborn as the killing of human life and are obliged to impose that view. That is why this is such a contentious issue.

Back