Key Post How risky is property investment?

Ludtrn

I am dead sure of it, the person living there is the councils tenant as they chose them, I'm taking a 20% below market rate but since I offered a very high reference rate, the 20% deduction was no great hit, council didn't argue
Who registers the tenant with the RTB, if it’s you, then that would mean the council is not the tenant. Though councils I think are exempt from the RTB.

I know with my HAB tenants the council pays me but they are not leasing the property.

Who registers the tenant with the RTB, if it’s you, then that would mean the council is not the tenant. Though councils I think are exempt from the RTB.

I know with my HAB tenants the council pays me but they are not leasing the property.

Long Term Leasing Initiative is a different animal. HAP is the LA subsidising your tenants.

This arrangement doesn't involve the RTB

Look up long term lease scheme re_ local authority

It's working fine for me so far on a very cheap property, I would not do it with a 200k house

Last edited:
Not necessarily Bronte.

The RTB could obtain a Court Order allowing the tenant to return to the property. Plenty of cases in the past where the RTB has done so.
I specifically asked you for links to

- RTB, court orders, allowing tenants RETURN to properties.
- you said, plenty, of such orders
- you’ve given links to an appalling landlord with in situ tenants, with three tenants who left, this is not what I asked about

This arrangement doesn't involve the RTB

Look up long term lease scheme re_ local authority

It's working fine for me so far on a very cheap property, I would not do it with a 200k house
Thanks, so no RTB. You wrote about this investment before. Sounds like heaven to me. If tenants refuse to pay the council rent or thrash the place I assume you’re covered by the council.

Also fab is that anti social tenants are entirely the LA problem.

I specifically asked you for links...
Sorry Bronte but, with the greatest of respect, you can do your own research. It's no skin off my nose if you don't take anything I post at face value.

FWIW the article that I posted specifically referred to a tenant having stayed with friends before returning to the apartment.

Here's some more background on this particular case. Again, 30 seconds to do a Google search...

Last edited:
Thanks, so no RTB. You wrote about this investment before. Sounds like heaven to me. If tenants refuse to pay the council rent or thrash the place I assume you’re covered by the council.

Also fab is that anti social tenants are entirely the LA problem.

Hi Bronte

I'm of the view that these kind of arrangements are used by councils to house difficult people, I can't prove it but what better vehicle for the local authority to put away someone for the long term

It's why I'd only use a cheap property for such a scheme, the council say they will return the property as they received it but that remains to be seen

I've viewed the property once since last July and while the resident - residents were not there, let's just say they did not exactly tidy up for my visit

Council rep showed me around

My motivation for buying the place was potential long term improved desirability of North inner Limerick city, place is no journey from the city centre (not moyross or St Mary's Park) but has a rough reputation due to close proximity to troubled estates, never saw any trouble myself anytime I was down there preparing the place last year but opted for the council as a tenant as I thought private tenants might be put off by the rep of the broader area and thus I might struggle to attract high quality tenants.

Last edited:
Sorry Bronte but, with the greatest of respect, you can do your own research. It's no skin off my nose if you don't take anything I post at face value.

FWIW the article that I posted specifically referred to a tenant having stayed with friends before returning to the apartment.

Here's some more background on this particular case. Again, 30 seconds to do a Google search...
Can you give me links to a couple of the many court orders you claim have been made to tenants evicted from properties being allowed to return to said properties. It’s nothing to do with skin off your nose. As a landlord I’d like to be clear as to what happens.

I find your google 30 second reference tedious. Both your links do not support what you posted.

Not necessarily Bronte.

The RTB could obtain a Court Order allowing the tenant to return to the property. Plenty of cases in the past where the RTB has done so.
“Plenty” of cases where RTB got a court order allowing the tenant to return to a property?

With respect you’ve returned with the same court case, which does not back up your claim of many court orders ....

Last edited by a moderator:
The Council is buying up everything. Best to sell to them, then family doesn’t have to move and no hassle with agents.

The Council is buying up everything. Best to sell to them, then family doesn’t have to move and no hassle with agents.
Where are the council buying up everything/ What town, city, county, and it would help if you could support it?

Clondalkin, Tallaght, Citiwest ( I think )
SDCC are involved in the Kilcarbery development in Clondalkin that will see them get 310 of the 1,034 units to be built there. They are involved in, or taking on the social housing portion of a couple of other developments, but I haven't heard of them being willing to purchase second hand stock.

Back